Season ticket sales for 2018 season - Up or Down??

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
southportcdm

Re: Season ticket sales for 2018 season - Up or Down??

Post by southportcdm »

Yes, I agree. I think Waney will put Sam Powell at 7 and Sam Tomkins at 1. Morgan will only play if others are injured or if this system doesn't work. Waney will only play Sam T at 6 if other combinations don't work.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

southportcdm wrote:Yes, I agree. I think Waney will put Sam Powell at 7 and Sam Tomkins at 1. Morgan will only play if others are injured or if this system doesn't work. Waney will only play Sam T at 6 if other combinations don't work.
Why doesn't Wane know already who is the best half back combination? Or for matter the best 1,6,7 setup? He's known most of these players for years.

He's got to be blind as a bat not to see Powell is about as dynamic as Matty Smith. It also suggests there won't be any real change to the game plan from the Smith era as all Powell will do is what Smith did, look to pass.

Makes me wonder now if we do go with Powell at 7 it really is to accommodate Sam T's started desire to play at full back.

Powell to 7 is the most boring conservative change he could possibly make.

southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Fair comment DaveO, I'm just saying what I think he'll do not what most fans may suggest. The key thing here is that Sam Powell can tackle far better than Sam T or Morgan. He's proved this whilst playing at 9. I think that will be the deciding factor for Waney. I'd like to see real pace in at 7 and perhaps risk some defensive ability but what do I know.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

southportcdm wrote:Fair comment DaveO, I'm just saying what I think he'll do not what most fans may suggest. The key thing here is that Sam Powell can tackle far better than Sam T or Morgan. He's proved this whilst playing at 9. I think that will be the deciding factor for Waney. I'd like to see real pace in at 7 and perhaps risk some defensive ability but what do I know.
Its a good point re: defense, if you had Escare/Sam @ 7 and you played Sarge @ 3 and Marshall/Davies @ 2. Assuming Bateman would play right second row you can imagine us getting blasted down that side, Bateman being the only one who can defend out the lot of them. The two kids are good but at their age prone to positional errors
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Powell at seven would be like having a poor man's Martin Crompton there!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

Gale couldn't tackle his dinner! doesn't stop him playing.

same as kev brown

same as lee briers

They play because they put on more tires than concede.

Over the years its been a decent back rowers job to cover for and help his half back out defensively... we've seen hoffman & pritchard do this for most of their careers.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

southportcdm wrote:Fair comment DaveO, I'm just saying what I think he'll do not what most fans may suggest. The key thing here is that Sam Powell can tackle far better than Sam T or Morgan. He's proved this whilst playing at 9. I think that will be the deciding factor for Waney. I'd like to see real pace in at 7 and perhaps risk some defensive ability but what do I know.
I agree this is what he will most likely do but if he does we have no more flair or attacking options than we did in the Smith era. Sam T and Escare on the pitch at the same time would leave the opposition having to cover more than the usual bring the fullback into the attack option we telegraph to all teams. Go with Powell and they will largely ignore him as they did Smith.