Marquee Players

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Marquee Players

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Many fans have, due to on field performances, disagreed with the club's decision to award Sam and George marquee contracts, who would be your marquee players at Wigan?

Further, who would you sign to replace Sam and George on salaries of £225k to £250k a year?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
wall_of_voodoo

Re: Marquee Players

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

To be fair sefc I have no problem with either player being our marquee players

Williams has the potential to be one of GB best half backs for years and Sam (if he can recover his former glory) would be as good as any.

This is a major year for Sam I feel. It's the last year of his deal. He will either rip it up after his first proper off season for 4 years or he will stink like the rubbish he has been for the last 3. Former and he is looking at a new contract, Latter and I doubt any League club would throw money at him and a career (whatever level that may be) beckons in Union
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
shaunedwardsfanclub

wall_of_voodoo wrote:To be fair sefc I have no problem with either player being our marquee players

Williams has the potential to be one of GB best half backs for years and Sam (if he can recover his former glory) would be as good as any.

This is a major year for Sam I feel. It's the last year of his deal. He will either rip it up after his first proper off season for 4 years or he will stink like the rubbish he has been for the last 3. Former and he is looking at a new contract, Latter and I doubt any League club would throw money at him and a career (whatever level that may be) beckons in Union
I totally agree with you WoV. The Aussie market is out of our league and how many players in SL are better than those two when they are playing at their best. I think that we will see a big improvement from both this season.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Williams simply shouldn’t be a marquee player,his performances simply don’t warrant it,indeed he went backwards last season alarmingly,it was supposed to to be a system of allowing clubs to bring the best into the British game,honestly Williams,at the moment simply isn’t that at the present time,the club panicked and offered a contract he simply isn’t worth at this time.

He may in time turn into a world class player,but he isn’t yet.

Sam is a marquee player,to me the poster boy of the system correctly brought back into the game on top money because his “fame” warranted it,that he’s been blighted by poor form and injuries is another matter for another day.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I probably would have williams at marquee, although he was poor last year the whole team was pretty awful and he could be something special with the right mentoring. I would also of brought in a top centre on marquee

Sam for me was given the Marquee without earning it, he may well get back to that level and he was better last year but in truth he was outperformed by escare.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
shaunedwardsfanclub

fozzieskem wrote:Williams simply shouldn’t be a marquee player,his performances simply don’t warrant it,indeed he went backwards last season alarmingly,it was supposed to to be a system of allowing clubs to bring the best into the British game,honestly Williams,at the moment simply isn’t that at the present time,the club panicked and offered a contract he simply isn’t worth at this time.

Sam is a marquee player,to me the poster boy of the system correctly brought back into the game on top money because his “fame” warranted it,that he’s been blighted by poor form and injuries is another matter for another day.
But who would you have instead of Williams as the marquee player?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
fozzieskem wrote:Williams simply shouldn’t be a marquee player,his performances simply don’t warrant it,indeed he went backwards last season alarmingly,it was supposed to to be a system of allowing clubs to bring the best into the British game,honestly Williams,at the moment simply isn’t that at the present time,the club panicked and offered a contract he simply isn’t worth at this time.

But who would you have instead of Williams as the marquee player?
Bah sorry I edited my reply and left that out,truth is I wouldn’t have another marquee player there really isn’t any need for it,as said proper Aussie top drawer players are out of the question so if the spirit of the marquee rule is to bring top class player in,if they’re not available then why bother?
Wes

Post by Wes »

If the marquee rule was abolished tomorrow the top 4-6 clubs would be over the cap.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I agree that this year is make or break for Tomkins.
I can accept the injury he picked up in the NRL, but we shouldn't even have had to pay him for missing pretty much a year because of his self inflicted drunken injury. He has shown nothing as a person to suggest he will dig deep enough to be anything other than a Salford or Sale player in 2019.
As for Williams, I think we will have a new coach by Easter, and any decent coach will be able to do a lot with him. Exciting prospect.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:I agree that this year is make or break for Tomkins.
I can accept the injury he picked up in the NRL, but we shouldn't even have had to pay him for missing pretty much a year because of his self inflicted drunken injury. He has shown nothing as a person to suggest he will dig deep enough to be anything other than a Salford or Sale player in 2019.
As for Williams, I think we will have a new coach by Easter, and any decent coach will be able to do a lot with him. Exciting prospect.
i think the England snub will have hurt Tomkins ego especially once Hardacre dropped out, hopefully he will be looking to right that wrong in his eyes
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure