Waney is on the prowl!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
superleague

Re: Waney is on the prowl!

Post by superleague »

No straw damn us wrote:
superleague wrote:
Caboosegg wrote: What chance does the game have when the fans do nothing but moan? What in complaining about everything sells the game to a neutral?
What's to sell though the standards and skill level of the game are at an all time low. I know many fans that just pick and choose the odd games now as the entertainment levels of the game are just not there anymore to justify a season ticket, it's so sad too as the game with the right people in charge could be so much more.
So how would you change it if it was your call?
In all honesty I don't know, I'm just an electrician, I don't know nothing about running a sport or marketing etc. Obviously the current establishment doesn't either or game wouldn't be where it is now.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

old hooker wrote:In the state the game is in it is difficult to sell it to neutrals, and to do so we need to improve many aspects of RL.
And, as I have asked above, what would you do?
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

No straw damn us wrote:
superleague wrote:
Caboosegg wrote: What chance does the game have when the fans do nothing but moan? What in complaining about everything sells the game to a neutral?
What's to sell though the standards and skill level of the game are at an all time low. I know many fans that just pick and choose the odd games now as the entertainment levels of the game are just not there anymore to justify a season ticket, it's so sad too as the game with the right people in charge could be so much more.
So how would you change it if it was your call?
i'd start with the lack of marketing / promotion at the RFL of the game generally. for all the gripes that our own fans have about Wigan the club have tried TV adverts and taking their own games out to different audiences, the RFL have done F*** all

TV deal - there are plenty of TV companies out there, why did we just tender to sky and then take the 1st deal on the table. ITV / ITV4 are doing some really good coverage of other sports at the minute. the use of the yorkshire clubs who were financialy struggling was a joke by basically bailing them out

I would scrap the current format as i personally hate it. i would personally prefer a top 4 play off if we need to stick with a playoff system for SKY (without the split of the league) or a top 3 1st auto into final and 2v3 play off for the other position

Salary cap - still needed but needs to be increased. i dont think it has served its purpose as it has brought the standard down to create a more level playing field and not the other way round, and still only the same teams win the GF

General standards - these were brought in with the franchises a few years ago, there are still clubs not meeting them by a long way, but the RFL let them carry on with their b***s***. i would give them 1 more chance to meet the standards or face relegation. there are plenty of other clubs with grounds etc that meet the requirements

playing staff - mandatory that there are U16, U18/19 and U21 / reserve standard teams for all SL clubs. the bulk of our more senior players had the opportunity to jump from U18 to reserve grade, but that isnt there now, just the big jump in competitiveness and physicallity so it is make or break or dual registration

those are just some quick thoughts for discussion

moto748

Post by moto748 »

I agree with most of that, but I think expecting all clubs to run four teams is asking a bit much. But two, certainly.

Also, we'd have to face up to the fact that even if SL was screened, at some future date, on ITV4 or C5, or even the BBC (which I'd personally support), we'd probably have to accept that they'd pay (even) less than Sky, with the shortfall in club income that implies.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

It is a minority sport,at present a fairly boring one so that needs to be addressed.

The current tv deal will seem hedonistic compared to the next one sky offer,that will be much lower I suspect the vhairmen know this already,they need to look further afield than sky.

The salary cap for me could go it’s driven standards down and as mentioned the same teams get to the gf..

On the subject of the gf I’d scrap it it makes a nonsense of the league really

All clubs by now should have a ground worthy of the name yes they’re soulless but at least going the loos in the dw is a fairly clean experience and not wizzing I to a trench,there simply no excuse by now for all grounds to be a decent level and not stiluck in the last century

Make internationals meaningful by having them every year
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

From a playing perspective reduce the subs to 4 with no interchange. The sooner we get back to having props wh need to play longer we'll see more opportunities for skillful players.

At the moment it's all about defence and structue, one ypu introduce fatigue into the game we will have a more open and interesting game again.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Big Steve wrote:From a playing perspective reduce the subs to 4 with no interchange. The sooner we get back to having props wh need to play longer we'll see more opportunities for skillful players.

At the moment it's all about defence and structue, one ypu introduce fatigue into the game we will have a more open and interesting game again.
thats bang on steve been saying that for ages
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

jao 711 wrote:
Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
jao711 wrote:Well we seem to have got most of the moaning on one page,only one or two more to go.
do you ever post your thoughts on threads? or just snipe at the mood of other posters?
. Yes frequently as you have clearly noticed,and these are my thoughts .I am tired of reading the same grousing from the same people about almost everything the club does.You’ve made your point now give us a rest.It’s getting very boring,there must be something more positive to talk about.The season is almost hear so why don’t you just get yourself down to the DW and try to enjoy what is still the greatest game. Life’s too short for that stuff.
:eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2:
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Big Steve wrote:From a playing perspective reduce the subs to 4 with no interchange. The sooner we get back to having props wh need to play longer we'll see more opportunities for skillful players.

You either missed Radlinski's point about structure, or disagree with it. Last season Cas had arguably the most structured approach in the league. Yet...no, no yet, but because of that structure, they were able to open up defences and play some of the most exciting rugby we've seen for years.

Poorly implemented structure makes for a boring game, but done well it gives the freedom to entertain. So structure doesn't get the credit or the blame, it's having the players (and coach) who can use it we'll, or not.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Whats betting cas play the same style this year and its not effective?also whats the betting they win nowt again as well?
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE