Wigan Vs Leigh

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Josie's friend

Re: Wigan Vs Leigh

Post by Josie's friend »

Wes wrote:
Josie's friend wrote:Imo Hamlin was the only forward that stood out, a couple of decent runs by Tautai & FPN but nothing special. Flower his usual which isn't a positive.
Defence-wise nothing has changed.

Hopefully they are saving themselves for Australia
Funny how people see things different, I though flower had a good game. Made the hard yards when needed and was strong in defence, also when Acton started shithousing and bullying it was Flower who put him in his box and started mixing it with him.

Flower can offer the aggression lost by MM IMO.
That exactly right just different opinions, can't really read anything in to our preseason games. Hamlin though looked useful
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I’ve always treated these games as what they are,friendlier that in two weeks will be rendered meaningless once Wigan are at Salford,was it a decent crowd or did the weather keep people away?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Well if Sam is such a natural half with such positive effects on that side of the pitch and TL is a better 9 then Powell, then there is no room for Powell in the side. We know with Wane in charge there will be though!
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Tell that to Leigh fozz, it's their cup final!????
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Wes

Post by Wes »

DaveO wrote:Well if Sam is such a natural half with such positive effects on that side of the pitch and TL is a better 9 then Powell, then there is no room for Powell in the side. We know with Wane in charge there will be though!
Powell has good utility, he looked good at 7 Sam T was just better he’s also solid at 9 and offer TL a breather.

I think well start with Sam at FB Sam P at 7 then when TL goes off Escare will be at FB Sam T to 7 Sam P to 9 however if Sam P doesn’t start strong and put a few MoM performances in hell end up on the bench from the off and playing at 9 when TL needs a breather.

I thought when we could get a rhythm with the weather playing its part we looked good.
markill

Post by markill »

Sam T looked sharp in both positions. Had his step back for his try, showed his quick thought for the try assist kick off a ropey pass.

I thought the forwards all went pretty well, other than Clubb who got his nasty knock early on. FPN was really good in his first stint. T was good. Hamlin impressed. Sutton and Flower were decent defensively. Isa was solid.

Right side defence needs work, all new combinations and they were changed a few times in the game too, so not wanting to get too scared about that yet.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Wes

Post by Wes »

Just heard Sam T’s interview post game he was asked about how he thought he went in the halves, his answer was ok but I have trained at both FB and HB for a few months now and Sam P has trained for both HB and hooker so it felt good.

He also admitted that the tries where soft down the right and that will be worked on and put right.

I still think Escares form at FB and Sam Ts at 7 will force Wanes hand to have Sam P as back up 9 only if Sam P is anything less than outstanding but our options are promising.

Williams was quiet today also so his form will need to improve or it could be he that’s dropped.

Forgot to mention Sam T looked in as good a shape as I can remember today.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I suppose it’s a benefit really to have the ability to play sam at 1 or 7 it gives us different options

Sounds good though because traditionally we are poor in friendlies and pick up more when the season starts - a positive hit out in friendlies may suggest we are better prepared this season this year
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Thanks Wes, good summaries.

Sounds good with Powell going well at 7 and Sam T going there.
Rotating during games looks like it will be part of the tactics this season. Could work well as we've practiced it and the opposition (s) won't have too much training time to counter it.

Looking forward to Salford.
jobo

Post by jobo »

Thought a good few players made a statement of intent and as long as we get a fair crack on the injury front, we'll do ok this year.