Substitutions and timing

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
the pieman

Re: Substitutions and timing

Post by the pieman »

to be honest i think most appreciate that in the modern game you need to rotate the props to maintain intensity

however, and i think it was highlighted even more last year that the intensity wasnt maintained but in fact dropped when we used the props

surely with the rotation though there has to be an element of how the player looks / feels on the pitch. If player A is smashing it and is feeling really good, why take them off. Give them an extra 5-10 minutes. Likewise if they are off the pace bring them off slightly before the planned change

in the modern SL game there doesnt appear to be many props that can play the full 80 minutes. Is that down to conditioning that has been mentioned previously ie trained for 2 * 20 minute spells, but at the same time they need to be carrying and defending strong for that 20 minutes that they are on - very often our props dont make that many carries as has already been alluded to

surely we need to get a balance between a sprinter (shorter spells and impact prop for max 20 mins) and a marathon runner (long minutes in both defence and attack) so we could have 1 prop used for between 60-70 minutes in a game, but supplemented with 2-3 impact type players who do shorter spells.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Looking at the list. to say that their is "much of a muchness" is reasonable based on one game

It is interesting to note though, that both Hull and Wakefield used only 2 subs in the first 40 minutes. I wonder why?
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

the pieman wrote:
surely with the rotation though there has to be an element of how the player looks / feels on the pitch. If player A is smashing it and is feeling really good, why take them off. Give them an extra 5-10 minutes. Likewise if they are off the pace bring them off slightly before the planned change
Exactly and this is why Wane has been accused of subbing by the clock i.e. he does it regardless of what is going on on the pitch. This is why despite the fact some substitutions have been made around 20 minutes by other teams is a pretty useless statistic because unless you are going to watch every game you don't know what was going on in the game at the time.

In any case looking at the figures apart from our game only Cas made subs as close together as Wane around the 20 minute mark.

What we do know is for Wigan Wane subbed two props at 20 and 23 minutes. Par for the course for him. What will be interesting to see is if persists with Escare on the bench what time that change will be made. My guess is it will be the same time in every game.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

DaveO wrote:
the pieman wrote:
Exactly and this is why Wane has been accused of subbing by the clock i.e. he does it regardless of what is going on on the pitch. This is why despite the fact some substitutions have been made around 20 minutes by other teams is a pretty useless statistic because unless you are going to watch every game you don't know what was going on in the game at the time.

In any case looking at the figures apart from our game only Cas made subs as close together as Wane around the 20 minute mark.

What we do know is for Wigan Wane subbed two props at 20 and 23 minutes. Par for the course for him. What will be interesting to see is if persists with Escare on the bench what time that change will be made. My guess is it will be the same time in every game.
Saints 17 and 20. Salford 19 and 21.
It all depends on who has the ball as you can't make a substitution when the ball is in play and you're defending.