Wane Unconcerned about losing players to the NRL

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Wane Unconcerned about losing players to the NRL

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
SJ

Re: Wane Unconcerned about losing players to the NRL

Post by SJ »

Well he should be unless,as it seems he's settled for being a"feeder" team We can always MAKE a nother one. Meccano players anybody :sly:
Wigan_forever1985

This is obviously the attitude the club has and why we dont put up much of a fight to keep players, basically Wane thinks that our youth team will always produce players to the standard of those who leave
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
JUKESAYS

Post by JUKESAYS »

SJ wrote:Well he should be unless,as it seems he's settled for being a"feeder" team We can always MAKE a nother one. Meccano players anybody :sly:
Just for Balance here's some of the rest of his quote!

“I’ll do my best to keep them but if it’s impossible, we crack on.”

Read more at: https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-9005956

moto748

Post by moto748 »

I don't kno9w what people would have him say. He has to put a brave face on and make the best of it.
Wigan_forever1985

moto748 wrote:I don't kno9w what people would have him say. He has to put a brave face on and make the best of it.
I disagree i don't see why he cant express concern on the issue especially seeing as the issue is bigger than just Wigan. If he is truly unconcerned then he is kidding himself, if he isnt then the last thing our game needs is soundbites that ignore how close we are to becoming a trivial feeder league akin to the Australians feeder league to the NRL
JUKESAYS

Post by JUKESAYS »

moto748 wrote:I don't kno9w what people would have him say. He has to put a brave face on and make the best of it.
To some it doesn't matter what he says, they'll just cherry pick part of what is said to paint him in a bad light.

Top Line - The Buying/Selling of players is largely out of his control (That's Leneghan's responsibility ultimately).

In his shoes I would say exactly the same thing i.e. I'll do my best to keep the players we ant to keep, but if they decide to move on (In the main to test themselves and/or for substantially more money) I'll continue to work with the younger players we have and identify the best of them and push them through to the 1st team.

I mean, what do we do, Not buy/produce the best youngsters as we don't want them to be any good then we don't lose them?
Promote them and hope they fail so that others don't come knocking and want them?

I'd rather have 3/4/5 years really good service out of them and have the issue of keeping them than them fail and not contribute & the club fail.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

JUKESAYS wrote:
To some it doesn't matter what he says, they'll just cherry pick part of what is said to paint him in a bad light.

Top Line - The Buying/Selling of players is largely out of his control (That's Leneghan's responsibility ultimately).

In his shoes I would say exactly the same thing i.e. I'll do my best to keep the players we ant to keep, but if they decide to move on (In the main to test themselves and/or for substantially more money) I'll continue to work with the younger players we have and identify the best of them and push them through to the 1st team.

I mean, what do we do, Not buy/produce the best youngsters as we don't want them to be any good then we don't lose them?
Promote them and hope they fail so that others don't come knocking and want them?

I'd rather have 3/4/5 years really good service out of them and have the issue of keeping them than them fail and not contribute & the club fail.
Well said that man. In the current climate it is our only option.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
SJ

Post by SJ »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
I disagree i don't see why he cant express concern on the issue especially seeing as the issue is bigger than just Wigan. If he is truly unconcerned then he is kidding himself, if he isnt then the last thing our game needs is soundbites that ignore how close we are to becoming a trivial feeder league akin to the Australians feeder league to the NRL
I agree WF and to having to put a brave face on surely that evidences some concern so to represent himself has being "unconcerned " is contrary to the fact so as WF says Why can't he show concern. It would be understandable irrespective that IL is responsible for hiring and firing etc which is irrelevant to the point in question Surely from a PR point of view a statement eg We may loose players to the NRL but thankfully we have the players to replace them. A positive out look as apposed to the negative stance of the header saying he's unconcerned. Would be more appropriate wouldn't it?or stating he's not "unduly concerned " thereby indicating some concern.
jobo

Post by jobo »

In truth, none of us really know and in what context, SW actually said. We only know the reported and printed version.

Anyone reading just about anything in a newspaper who doesn't take what they are reading with a large pinch of salt should give their heads a good wobble.