Shaun Edwards

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Shaun Edwards

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I remember lying on the ground and watching him disappear into the distance for another try, thinking “how did he do that?”. He’ll do for me.
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

I hope this happens quick Then he may attract some world class signings
PF Warrior

Post by PF Warrior »

The dream coaching team for me would be Shaun Edwards Head Coach with Andy Farrell as his Assistant.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Dont mean to go against the grain here but what makes people think edwards would be any good at all in Rugby League coaching?, if being a good player is all it took then surely Lockers would be automatic pick.

Edwards hasnt plied his trade within the 13 code at coaching level and was (correct me if im wrong because i dont follow intently) a defensive coach in the 15 code.

Im not sure what he would offer Wane doesnt, i would rather us target an up an coming Aussie NRL Assistant or even better coach - someone who is at the cutting edge of modern rugby league than a wigan great - we have one of them already
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:Dont mean to go against the grain here but what makes people think edwards would be any good at all in Rugby League coaching?, if being a good player is all it took then surely Lockers would be automatic pick.

Edwards hasnt plied his trade within the 13 code at coaching level and was (correct me if im wrong because i dont follow intently) a defensive coach in the 15 code.

Im not sure what he would offer Wane doesnt, i would rather us target an up an coming Aussie NRL Assistant or even better coach - someone who is at the cutting edge of modern rugby league than a wigan great - we have one of them already
your seriously not trying to rate lockers on the same level as edwards are you? Lockers is good but way off edwards’s league
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:Dont mean to go against the grain here but what makes people think edwards would be any good at all in Rugby League coaching?, if being a good player is all it took then surely Lockers would be automatic pick.

I'd go with Lockers over Edwards, he knows the current game better and his knowledge of players & tactics would be far superior than someone who has been out of the game for years.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Firestarter wrote:

your seriously not trying to rate lockers on the same level as edwards are you? Lockers is good but way off edwards’s league
I rate lockers as one of the best players to play for wigan of his era, its impossible to judge players across two different eras because the requirements for the game have changed

Lockers is respected by every coach in the game and look at interviews with past players who've played in both leagues and lockers is always up there with the best players they've played with/against.

At his age he is still the most important player at wigan and he hasnt had the luxury of being surrounded by great players to share the load.

So in short i dont think there are leagues between them no in their relative worth within their era's
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Edwards & Gatland’s contracts are up for Wales at the end of the season, so both could be re-newed.

Also, Shaun likes the South of France having visited & stayed there regularly :roll:

You never know! Catalan?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wes

Post by Wes »

I think (I may be wrong as I don’t follow RU) he was head coach for an onion team before Wales Defencive coach and he won every trophy on offer before he went to Wales.

If so that’s some feat straight from RL, I think he’ll have a good rugby brain and he’ll have stayed in touch with RL to some degree.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

That’s my point as well.
I still think he would definitely bring an essence of ball skills with him though. You can’t be as good as he was without a natural rugby brain.