Tonights game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
JUKESAYS

Re: Tonights game

Post by JUKESAYS »

DaveO wrote:
morley pie eater wrote:
keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:
I posted about this before season started. But was blasted as it would not make a difference. Well with every game my theory is being proved right. It is utterly b*llocks to change your pivotal positions during a game for no apparent reason.
So if the reason is not apparent (to you, presumably?) then it's wrong? Does the fact that a double-winning coach has chosen to do this not make you think that maybe there is a reason and you've not worked it out yet?

Barrie McDermott on commentary seemed to like the idea and said it worked in his day at Leeds with Marcus St Hilaire coming on at 1 and Iestyn Harris moving into the halves.

Could it be that having a solid defender at 7 for the first 30 minutes and keeping Sam fresh is something to do with it? I don't know the answers for sure, but my guess is that any b******s being talked is of the "Powell is Wane's love-child" variety.
Who cares what Leeds did or if there is some theory behind this tactic. Look at what is actually happening on the pitch for Wigan when Wane does this and make your judgment on that. That is what everybody else is doing. Those of us who thought this was a stupid idea have been proved right so far and our double winning coach wrong.
Did you say this after the Salford or hull games or has your 100% absolute proof (and bear in mind I'm not sure where you get your 99% of fans from, but I'll guarantee that's not right) that this tactic is stupid/ridiculous is only proved by Friday's result?
Wes

Post by Wes »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:Not read the whole thread but I thought we did really well to dig in and will go very well this year, if we stay fit and well. We played exactly as a team suffering from jet lag would do - we had none of the line speed we showed in the first 2 games because their bodies were shattered. By next Friday we will be back on track.

It was simply the price we were always going to pay for going round the world. Still in 3rd/4th and everyone well. There is a lot to like.
BOOM! Finally someone speaks sense, I have wanted to post similar but refrained as I seem to attract the “take your tinted specs off” brigade whenever I post lately.
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

Wes wrote:
Exiled Wiganer wrote:Not read the whole thread but I thought we did really well to dig in and will go very well this year, if we stay fit and well. We played exactly as a team suffering from jet lag would do - we had none of the line speed we showed in the first 2 games because their bodies were shattered. By next Friday we will be back on track.

It was simply the price we were always going to pay for going round the world. Still in 3rd/4th and everyone well. There is a lot to like.
BOOM! Finally someone speaks sense, I have wanted to post similar but refrained as I seem to attract the “take your tinted specs off” brigade whenever I post lately.
So what you are saying is it was lunacy by the club arranging the Aussie trip and expecting them to win on Friday. I hope it was just jet lag as that performance was absolutely awful.
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
Wes

Post by Wes »

East Stand Faithful wrote:
Wes wrote:

So what you are saying is it was lunacy by the club arranging the Aussie trip and expecting them to win on Friday. I hope it was just jet lag as that performance was absolutely awful.
If you can show me where I said “it was lunacy by the club arranging the Aussie trip and expecting them to win on Friday” I’d greatly appreciate it as I don’t remember saying that at all?!?!
moto748

Post by moto748 »

It's one poor game. Most people were broadly supportive after we beat Salford and Hull, albeit with reservations (I seem to remember a few "We could easily be 0/3 after the first three games" comments at the start of the season). Now we have two home games, which we need to win, and win well. There's no reason why we can't do that. And I'm sure that would be helped by applying the widely recommended tweaks to the team suggested here and elsewhere (Escaré. Hamlin, Navarette).
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I said after Salford the team needed 10 games or so to really see if things have turned around and generally I stand by that I think the points most people are making are valid,Powell and in particular the weird move of keeping Escaré on the bench,as I’ve said it seems to be a tactic that’s been worked out already so let’s hope it’s one tactic thrown away sooner rather than later.

Like it or not Friday looked more like last season,I hope it’s a one off as I really think Widnes will not be as easy as some think,good albeit very young side in the making,their cup final is a scalp like Wigans even this early on,they simply can’t underestimate them though I do hope for a win.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Given the Widnes vs Leeds result we have to accept that the trip has had some effect. Perhaps the Widnes game will give us a more realistic measure of how far we've come and we do well on Friday we can forget about the Wire result.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

We didnt have to go to aus...... whats more important, a friendly over there or two points against wire? We should have sacked the souths game and come home earlier..... imo its disrespecting our own game and all wrong....... its just like the , so called, big clubs in the prem..... they put out a second string against weak cup opponents then whinge when they lose
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

We were outplayed 60-65 mins and the better team last 15 or so.
Both teams scored two tries and Wire won with goal kicks.
For those of us behind the sticks it was obvious this was a very below par performance from Wigan.
Early in the game at 8-0 down I was worried about all the Wire possession and territory and they would put another two scores on us before half time. It didn't happen through Wire's mistakes and great defence from Wigan.
Second half once they scored we knew the game was gone and it was due to real team spirit that we scored twice and ended only six behind.
Although Waney said the Aus trip didn't have anything to do with the defeat I think most of us who there wouldn't perhaps go along with that.
We've played well there and won and went there after the week after beating Leeds in the Cup and got royally thumped. 25-0 at half time heaven knows what the full time score was.
Friday's loss was a poor game but hardly unexpected. That Hull FC and Leeds have also lost puts some perspective on it.
Onward and upward from now on, hopefully!
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

wall_of_voodoo wrote:
DaveO wrote:
morley pie eater wrote: So if the reason is not apparent (to you, presumably?) then it's wrong? Does the fact that a double-winning coach has chosen to do this not make you think that maybe there is a reason and you've not worked it out yet?

Barrie McDermott on commentary seemed to like the idea and said it worked in his day at Leeds with Marcus St Hilaire coming on at 1 and Iestyn Harris moving into the halves.

Could it be that having a solid defender at 7 for the first 30 minutes and keeping Sam fresh is something to do with it? I don't know the answers for sure, but my guess is that any b******s being talked is of the "Powell is Wane's love-child" variety.
Who cares what Leeds did or if there is some theory behind this tactic. Look at what is actually happening on the pitch for Wigan when Wane does this and make your judgment on that. That is what everybody else is doing. Those of us who thought this was a stupid idea have been proved right so far and our double winning coach wrong.
DaveO

Despite his name I have no doubt this "character" is a troll. Might live in Yorkshire and watch Wigan from time to time but it is from watching one of his beloved Yorkie sides playing us!

I actually commented about him/her being a troll last season and they never replied. Strange how they see no issue or problems within the side and are more than happy for things to continue yet claim they are a "fan". I bet they were one of those demanding Noble stay when it was obvious his time was up :o

This latest statement says everything about a so-called tactic Leeds either used or did not. If they did, I doubt any Wigan fan would know or remember Marcus St Hilaire yet they agree 100% with what a nob of a commentator said!!!!!!!
Haha! So anyone who disagrees with a doom and gloomer is a troll?? That's brilliant logic - I support my team through thick and thin for over 54 years, try to stay positive despite some of the drivel from the we-know-better-than-the-coach lot, and get this.

Fyi I was born at the top of Argyle Street in Hindley and then lived in Hindley Green til I was 15. My grandad was the original Barm Joe, so called because he sold yeast from a hand-cart from before WW1 up to his death in 1936.

I find your troll accusation amusing, but to call me a Yorkie when I've spent a lifetime trying to convert the heathen is beyond the pale :mad:

Now we know that to be a proper Wigan fan you have to slag off the team at every opportunity. Anyone who thinks they're ok is a troll. Priceless!!!
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐