Tonights game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
keptinthedarkfans

Re: Tonights game

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

josie andrews wrote:Dave,
his moving around the halfbacks/full back (which if I recall correctly you were not keen on either when it was suggested pre-season) has proved after three games as stupid a tactic as 99% of people on here predicted.
I am still against it.

I want Escare at full back, Sam Tomkins in the halves & Sam Powell at hooker with Thomas Leuluai & Bateman in the second row.

I don’t agree with moving players just for the sake of it! Injuries before or during the game permitting

I posted about this before season started. But was blasted as it would not make a difference. Well with every game my theory is being proved right. It is utterly b*llocks to change your pivotal positions during a game for no apparent reason.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I did not notice Powell in the halves. He is not a Wigan #7.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:
I posted about this before season started. But was blasted as it would not make a difference. Well with every game my theory is being proved right. It is utterly b*llocks to change your pivotal positions during a game for no apparent reason.
So if the reason is not apparent (to you, presumably?) then it's wrong? Does the fact that a double-winning coach has chosen to do this not make you think that maybe there is a reason and you've not worked it out yet?

Barrie McDermott on commentary seemed to like the idea and said it worked in his day at Leeds with Marcus St Hilaire coming on at 1 and Iestyn Harris moving into the halves.

Could it be that having a solid defender at 7 for the first 30 minutes and keeping Sam fresh is something to do with it? I don't know the answers for sure, but my guess is that any b******s being talked is of the "Powell is Wane's love-child" variety.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote:
morley pie eater wrote:It's clear from Hull's performance that jet-lag does have a significant effect, and that we did exceptionally well by comparison. No more Aussie trips?
It’ll be interesting to see how Leeds do with their game,no matter how fit these lads are they are humans and we all get over things at a different rate.
And they played a day earlier than both Wigan & Hull & will be playing 2 & one day later respectively
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

morley pie eater wrote:
So if the reason is not apparent (to you, presumably?) then it's wrong? Does the fact that a double-winning coach has chosen to do this not make you think that maybe there is a reason and you've not worked it out yet?

Barrie McDermott on commentary seemed to like the idea and said it worked in his day at Leeds with Marcus St Hilaire coming on at 1 and Iestyn Harris moving into the halves.

Could it be that having a solid defender at 7 for the first 30 minutes and keeping Sam fresh is something to do with it? I don't know the answers for sure, but my guess is that any b******s being talked is of the "Powell is Wane's love-child" variety.
Who cares what Leeds did or if there is some theory behind this tactic. Look at what is actually happening on the pitch for Wigan when Wane does this and make your judgment on that. That is what everybody else is doing. Those of us who thought this was a stupid idea have been proved right so far and our double winning coach wrong.
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

I want to see how all of our players perform under a new coach. Apologies for this, but look at Saints as an example. Some of their players, including Roby, were almost being written off under Cunningham and a new coach has breathed new life. The analysis of a teams strengths and weaknesses and style of play is now so good that I think the coaching set up needs to be refreshed either in part or whole every 2, maybe 3, years. To think that we could not identify even an assistant coach to bring some fresh ideas, a new dynamic, fresh enthusiasm, defies belief. I can only conclude it was a sop to fans and never likely to happen - which if true, is deceitful by the club. So whether Wane, Winder and the rest of the set up are good or bad is irrelevant - we need change. The players seem loyal to Wane, and I think the effort is there, but that must change eventually. Too many players are underperforming - not just on Friday, but for two-thirds of the match against Hull and against South Sydney (masked by all the changes). Clubb and maybe Flower excepted I haven't seen any real improvement over the last 2-3 years in those who've been around for that time - Faz, Bateman, Tautai, Sutton, Gildart, Powell, Isa, JT. In fact most of those have probably gone backwards and I can't see beyond coaching being the problem for that to occur. These are good players. So I would say again, thanks Shaun for your commitment and pride in coaching your hometown team, but time to realise that you're no longer doing the club any favours by staying. "If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got". Oh - and the change of spine after 20 or 30 minutes, the big idea, changes nothing. SW refuses to use jet-lag as an excuse for Friday; so, then, do I. Hence - time for change!
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

DaveO wrote:
morley pie eater wrote:

Who cares what Leeds did or if there is some theory behind this tactic. Look at what is actually happening on the pitch for Wigan when Wane does this and make your judgment on that. That is what everybody else is doing. Those of us who thought this was a stupid idea have been proved right so far and our double winning coach wrong.
DaveO

Despite his name I have no doubt this "character" is a troll. Might live in Yorkshire and watch Wigan from time to time but it is from watching one of his beloved Yorkie sides playing us!

I actually commented about him/her being a troll last season and they never replied. Strange how they see no issue or problems within the side and are more than happy for things to continue yet claim they are a "fan". I bet they were one of those demanding Noble stay when it was obvious his time was up :o

This latest statement says everything about a so-called tactic Leeds either used or did not. If they did, I doubt any Wigan fan would know or remember Marcus St Hilaire yet they agree 100% with what a nob of a commentator said!!!!!!!
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

wall_of_voodoo wrote:
DaveO wrote:
morley pie eater wrote: So if the reason is not apparent (to you, presumably?) then it's wrong? Does the fact that a double-winning coach has chosen to do this not make you think that maybe there is a reason and you've not worked it out yet?

DaveO

Despite his name I have no doubt this "character" is a troll. Might live in Yorkshire and watch Wigan from time to time but it is from watching one of his beloved Yorkie sides playing us!

I actually commented about him/her being a troll last season and they never replied. Strange how they see no issue or problems within the side and are more than happy for things to continue yet claim they are a "fan". I bet they were one of those demanding Noble stay when it was obvious his time was up :o

This latest statement says everything about a so-called tactic Leeds either used or did not. If they did, I doubt any Wigan fan would know or remember Marcus St Hilaire yet they agree 100% with what a nob of a commentator said!!!!!!!
Dave O a troll NO is a moderator on here and on RFL fans who is actually a season ticket holder and lives in CHESTER.He does have opinions as every body else it is a forum.
Warrior20

Post by Warrior20 »

DaveO wrote:
morley pie eater wrote:

Proved right how exactly? We have won 2 from 3 matches using this tactic. I'm not a huge fan of it, but to say you have been proven right based on the fact we have lost one match is complete nonsense. Time will tell whether it is a good coaching move or not!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

jaws1 wrote: Dave O a troll NO is a moderator on here and on RFL fans who is actually a season ticket holder and lives in CHESTER.He does have opinions as every body else it is a forum.
Wall of voodoo was talking about Morley Pie Eater, who in fact is not a troll!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan