Recruitment

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
acwrlfc

Recruitment

Post by acwrlfc »

Watching that shambles tonight, got me thinking about recruitment or lack of it considering who we have let go, FPN.MM Gelling , Gregson, Tierney and we have brought in an young untried Aussie and a very average at best Sarginson.

Compare that to Warrington, MM, Goodwin, Roberts and the young lad who came who caused us no end of trouble.

All four of those players would walk into our current Team, MM or JT, Roberts or Powell, Goodwin or Sarge and the other guy or Isa.

The Club to me are showing a complete lack of ambition.

We are desperate for some new blood, not resigning players

On top of that a new coach as well please and don't get me wrong here Warrington weren't great but i do think they ll improve.
pearsy

Re: Recruitment

Post by pearsy »

Let's start with Shaun Edwards then go from there
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Shifting the current coach would be a start, I've never seen BS stacked that high!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
warriors01

Post by warriors01 »

As much as I think Shaun Wane should have left last year, the recruiting is down to Kris Radlinski and over the last couple of years he has brought back JT, TL, DS, JB and not one of them is worth a place in the team. Everyone who has watched Wigan during the last couple of years is aware that we needed a quality centre and goalkicker, half back and another forward. But he has failed to add anyone of any quality to the squad. Ironically, the MOM last night was a right centre and goalkicker which we could easily have picked up from Leigh instead of Dan Sarginson. Whoever replaces Shaun will have a massive job in reshaping the team as well as replacing the above we will have to replace Sean, John Bateman,Sam Powell and Willie Isa needs to go. Kris Radlinski does not appear the man capable of doing the job based on the last couple of years.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

warriors01 wrote:As much as I think Shaun Wane should have left last year, the recruiting is down to Kris Radlinski and over the last couple of years he has brought back JT, TL, DS, JB and not one of them is worth a place in the team. Everyone who has watched Wigan during the last couple of years is aware that we needed a quality centre and goalkicker, half back and another forward. But he has failed to add anyone of any quality to the squad. Ironically, the MOM last night was a right centre and goalkicker which we could easily have picked up from Leigh instead of Dan Sarginson. Whoever replaces Shaun will have a massive job in reshaping the team as well as replacing the above we will have to replace Sean, John Bateman,Sam Powell and Willie Isa needs to go. Kris Radlinski does not appear the man capable of doing the job based on the last couple of years.
This!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

warriors01 wrote:As much as I think Shaun Wane should have left last year, the recruiting is down to Kris Radlinski and over the last couple of years he has brought back JT, TL, DS, JB and not one of them is worth a place in the team. Everyone who has watched Wigan during the last couple of years is aware that we needed a quality centre and goalkicker, half back and another forward. But he has failed to add anyone of any quality to the squad. Ironically, the MOM last night was a right centre and goalkicker which we could easily have picked up from Leigh instead of Dan Sarginson. Whoever replaces Shaun will have a massive job in reshaping the team as well as replacing the above we will have to replace Sean, John Bateman,Sam Powell and Willie Isa needs to go. Kris Radlinski does not appear the man capable of doing the job based on the last couple of years.
I can't disagree with that but it's not credible that Wane is left out of the loop completely. I don't think he is. I think Wane has had a big say in a number of recruits over the years such as Lauaki, Isa and Sarge to name three.

If he is just presented with his squad by IL/Rads then Wane needs to tell them where to get off when they propose bringing in average players. If he doesn't he's just writing his own P45.

Wane is also loyal to very average players. I am sure (before he walked out) he thought we didn't need a better centre than Gelling and I won't rehash the discussion about Powell on another thread but he's another Wane will not be asking IL/Rads to replace. If the coach doesn't ask I can't see how Rads and IL can recruit anyone.

So while I agree Rads recruitment and the obsession with bringing back ex-players has been poor policy Wane has got to be part of this process. He either agrees with the choices or he isn't capable of imposing his opinion on IL/Rads to stop us signing average players. Given nearly every new recruit who isn't a junior usually walks into the side I suspect Wane is fully on board unless we think it's Rads also picking the team!

In general I don't think recruitment has been up to much since the early years of IL. There have been some inspired signings, Gleeson was key to the 2010 GF win and Blake Green and Taylor were very good signings. Most of the others are by good luck (like we got Finch, Hoffman and Lima due to cap issues at the Storm) or are just cheap such as Mathers, Pryce, Isa or are projects like Gelling and Hamlin. I suppose FPN was an attempt at addressing an obvious issue of a small pack but it didn't work out so at least they tried with that signing but as you said some of these issues have been around a long time.

pearsy

Post by pearsy »

I think if we could sign Slater Cronk Thurston Smith the Rugby would be coached out of them by Wane