Salary cap

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
East Stand Faithful

Salary cap

Post by East Stand Faithful »

I have argued for years that the salary cap should be increased to allow us to compete with the NRL.

After watching that garbage last night I conclude that Super League is dead and should become an amateur sport befitting of its leaders.

Wigan have powder puff props and no half backs and no centres.
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
medlocke

Re: Salary cap

Post by medlocke »

We have Joel Tomkins
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Superleague is dying because "fans" do nothing but slag it off.
Its 1 bad game out of the 3 league games played.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

East Stand Faithful wrote:I have argued for years that the salary cap should be increased to allow us to compete with the NRL.

After watching that garbage last night I conclude that Super League is dead and should become an amateur sport befitting of its leaders.

Wigan have powder puff props and no half backs and no centres.
And where would the extra £2+ million come from?
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

Caboosegg wrote:Superleague is dying because "fans" do nothing but slag it off.
No Super League is dying because the lack support from the RFL, the fans from all teams are feeling this effect.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The game needs to decide if it wants to be a professional sport with full time players or revert to semi-pro status. If its the former it needs to pull its finger out about raising the necessary revenue to afford being full time.

I said this exact same thing when it all went full time in 1992. As soon as you make it the players full time job it's got to pay very well given the nature of the sport and it's short career. The way clubs have been allowed to toddle along doing naff all to get themselves into a state to do this over the years is the real crime and why the salary cap has remained stuck at a low level.

I bet no one in Wakey thinks there is a problem at the moment. Three from three, have had the beating of former top sides like us and are seen as genuine contenders yet average about 5.5K crowds. I think there are only four teams that average five figure gates per season.

We used to have criteria for membership of SL and it ought to come back with the first one being average 10K crowds or risk losing your slot to an expansion team or existing team that can.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Josie's friend wrote:
Caboosegg wrote:Superleague is dying because "fans" do nothing but slag it off.
No Super League is dying because the lack support from the RFL, the fans from all teams are feeling this effect.
This, Gary Hetherington and the poor lower quality Yorkshire clubs holding back those that can spend big, it is backwards thinking ffs, if they can't afford to run with the big clubs then they should not be in Super Duper League, bloody Yorkshire mafia
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Fawdoffshed wrote:Rugby league, I am loathe to say, is on the wane (no pun intended) and is becoming unattractive to watch. Never EVER thought I'd say that and we're not missing Sky Sports one iota.
You’re not wrong,got rid of my sky sports a few months back simply not missing it at all.

As for the state of the sport in .this country it’s on the bones of it bum,though I think the sport is finally realising it’s in the entertainment business and needs to change,maybe you need to hit rock bottom then bounce back?
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I used to watch every game religiously...... now i only watch the wigan games and mostly forward wind through the other games...... is this a coincidence? I think not.....BRING BACK THE BIFF PLEASE
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Firestarter wrote:I used to watch every game religiously...... now i only watch the wigan games and mostly forward wind through the other games...... is this a coincidence? I think not.....BRING BACK THE BIFF PLEASE
Sanitized for the sake of SKY's "family sport" tag, guess what SKY, it's always been a family sport, why systematically destroy something that was so great just because a few soft southerners once moaned and complained