Rugby League

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Rugby League

Post by josie andrews »

I’ve followed Wigan Warriors for almost 58 years & watched other teams playing when they were on TV, more so since Sky took over & showed more live games.

These last several years, with all the rule changes, the VR & the general style of RL, which has been sanitised to the point that it’s like touch rugby, I’ve found that I am losing interest in watching other teams, unless they are playing Wigan Warriors.

I know we have a duty to the players with the dangers of concussion etc, I fully understand & condone the ruling about high tackles. I don’t understand why the shoulder charge, unless it hits the head, has to be banned. I feel high tackles are far more dangerous.

I just can’t be bothered anymore. There was a time when RL was first & foremost in our house. Everything was organised around the RL season, holidays, weddings, parties, even surgical operations!

The commentary on Sky, I’ve said it for years, are like a group of men in the pub talking & arguing between themselves. It just drives me daft listening to their puerile chatter!

We need to put this right & soon. We are miles behind the NRL, I can’t be bothered watching that anymore either, & RU has took over from where we used to be.
I can remember the times when we used to have a full back sports page just dedicated to reports on our game.

The Challenge Cup was the pinnacle of every RL players dream, whether British or Australian. Not any more it’s treated as a minor competition nowadays.

Does anybody else feel like this?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Re: Rugby League

Post by medlocke »

Since the inception of Super League
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Fawdoffshed wrote:Since cancelling Sky Sports, I have not missed rugby league one iota. However, I do tune into the Super League Show on the BBC. It doesn't whet the appetite though and find myself enjoying BT's coverage of rugby union. I never thought I'd say that, sadly. Rugby League is on the wane. No pun intended.
I am currently wrestling with the idea of cancelling SKY, I can get most the things i watch via my firestick, it's just the idea of not being able to watch Wigan, I currently feel the same as Josie does re games not featuring Wigan, it's just too expensive for the amount of Wigan games shown
Mary from Wigan

Post by Mary from Wigan »

Meds we use Sky nowtv. Just buy the box about £14 and pay for 24hrs £6.99 or 1 week £9.99. Hope this helps
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Mary from Wigan wrote:Meds we use Sky nowtv. Just buy the box about £14 and pay for 24hrs £6.99 or 1 week £9.99. Hope this helps
Might have a look into that, though if you get 3 televised games in a month it's more £3 more than a monthly subscription but then again you can go a full month with only 1 or even 0 televised games, in the long run it might work out better, been thinking of ditching the variety pack and only having the 2 channels that show the rugby, think i need to do some sums, cheers Mary
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Josie
Like you I have fallen out with the game been watching it for 65 years cant be bothered to watch it on tv now. The game has changed so much it does not bear thinking about .The people in charge of RFL have belittled the game and SKY has killed the game but at the same time saved the game with its money we would be still on part time players now .The SL clubs should have had the money from SKY after all its them what's losing out in attendances when shown live instead of being watered down .
The video ref what a joke should be scrapped altogether the league format as it is now what a farce although it is reportably being binned .Grand final has took over from the Challenge Cup to accommodate SKY grand champions should be the team finishing top of the league and a top 5 play off to make the league more intense.
Not renewed my season ticket this year no passion for the game but deep down still a Wigan supporter at heart. There are no stars in the game any more no one to put bums on seats.
Wayne's coaching is abysmal no plan B only boring rugby time he left.
endoman

Post by endoman »

Also very disillusioned at the moment. It's not the sport I grew up with. Haven't watched either of the TV games this week,

As someone who now lives out of the heartlands, knowing when stuff is happening is very hard work. There is zero talk about RL where I live.

The game has become sanitised, far too many players able to play almost every position , the flair, individuals etc have been coached out of the game .

Like above, I started to lose interest with summer rugby / superleague. Before that I'd happily make 200 mile round trips , now it's impossible mid week etc.

Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Would be brilliant.......in order for super league too get bigger it needs too spread its mini empire rather than jumping to london or france etc
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

josie andrews wrote:I’ve followed Wigan Warriors for almost 58 years & watched other teams playing when they were on TV, more so since Sky took over & showed more live games.

These last several years, with all the rule changes, the VR & the general style of RL, which has been sanitised to the point that it’s like touch rugby, I’ve found that I am losing interest in watching other teams, unless they are playing Wigan Warriors.

I know we have a duty to the players with the dangers of concussion etc, I fully understand & condone the ruling about high tackles. I don’t understand why the shoulder charge, unless it hits the head, has to be banned. I feel high tackles are far more dangerous.

I just can’t be bothered anymore. There was a time when RL was first & foremost in our house. Everything was organised around the RL season, holidays, weddings, parties, even surgical operations!

The commentary on Sky, I’ve said it for years, are like a group of men in the pub talking & arguing between themselves. It just drives me daft listening to their puerile chatter!

We need to put this right & soon. We are miles behind the NRL, I can’t be bothered watching that anymore either, & RU has took over from where we used to be.
I can remember the times when we used to have a full back sports page just dedicated to reports on our game.

The Challenge Cup was the pinnacle of every RL players dream, whether British or Australian. Not any more it’s treated as a minor competition nowadays.

Does anybody else feel like this?
i agree josie...... also my dad said that the game had gone s%#t( just before he passed)........ the aussies are showing how its done on and off the field.... there pre match tv coverage us 10 outta 10...... they talk about all the interesting things about RL...... which is the exact opposite ov our lot......i mean, take eddie hemmings..... what the hell does he know about the game?hes lost without stevo but is just as anti wigan as always
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
joeb

Post by joeb »

Today's game in France backs up what your saying very poor from both teams and your correct with the the commentary it's like the Muppet show