Josh Charnley....

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
medlocke

Re: Missed opportunity?

Post by medlocke »

Whoopedy Doo
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

JUKESAYS wrote:Never miss an opportunity to get a dig In even with no evidence to support
If you are referring my comment about Wane and Charnley not wanting to work with each other I am just expressing an opinion based on the very public fallout between the pair of them that occured in his penultimate season with us. Charnley was clearly disillusioned and made comments in his M.E.N column and Wane made public criticism of the player.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Which of the four wingmen in Davies, Burgess, Manfredi and Marshall are sub standard? I think the standard of our wingmen is very high and perhaps that is why Charnley hasn't re-signed for Wigan.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

cant believe how fittle and short memories some fans are get rid of talented kids FOR WHAT. A player who quite openly flaunted his unwillingness to commit to a RL career. even saying he was a farmer first rugby player second. He's words not mine. Don't blame wane for not re signing him. Like him or not and I don't but on this he has my backing 100%. He went to sale for easy training ethics and could not even cut it there. Don't question his ability but seriously question his commitment when needed. Good luck to wire I say and would put all our wingers in before him.
JUKESAYS

Post by JUKESAYS »

DaveO wrote:
JUKESAYS wrote:Just "Got Shut" of them?
Interesting.
Wonder what type of message that would send out.
The right one. Given the dearth of good players available that given the opportunity Wigan will always take it to improve the squad.

Now it's a matter of debate if people and the club itself think Charnely would do that or not but if he would, then surely you would want the club to sign him?

The same applies in any position with any player. If the club passes on the chance to sign better players than what it has already out of some misguided sense of loyalty it is headed for mid table mediocrity. The players don't return this loyalty do they?

We are constantly wondering when Budgie (for example) will jet off back to Oz.
And if they don't think he will especially given the money he would want then they may have chosen to not sign him.

SOME fans will make out they didn't even try even though they will have no idea wether we did or didn't.

"Some" people are constantly wondering when budgie will jet off.
This is not the 80's or early 90s. We don't own them, budgie signed a contract start of 2017 till ???? Whenever.
He'll be at the club until then unless the club agree to sell him.
I'll have a small wager (that neither of us can ever prove) that Wigan did assess the possibility of signing and that joshs wage demands would dictate that we would be investing Angell of a lot of money in an area we are already well covered for?
And despite what "some" fans think his none return to Wigan will have had little to do with any relationship issues with Wigan or anyone at the club.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wiganer Ted wrote:Which of the four wingmen in Davies, Burgess, Manfredi and Marshall are sub standard? I think the standard of our wingmen is very high and perhaps that is why Charnley hasn't re-signed for Wigan.
Surely it doesn't matter how high a standard our wingers are if Charnley is of a higher standard than at least three of them?

JUKESAYS

Post by JUKESAYS »

DaveO wrote:
JUKESAYS wrote:Never miss an opportunity to get a dig In even with no evidence to support
If you are referring my comment about Wane and Charnley not wanting to work with each other I am just expressing an opinion based on the very public fallout between the pair of them that occured in his penultimate season with us. Charnley was clearly disillusioned and made comments in his M.E.N column and Wane made public criticism of the player.
If it was the interview in may15 when he got back into the side due to manfredi being injured (who in turn got in due to Josh being out injured) then it was hardly ww3!
Wane said Josh needed to perform when he got back in as dom had been playing really well (true?).
In fact charnley only a month layer praised wane in his MEN column.
JUKESAYS

Post by JUKESAYS »

DaveO wrote:
Wiganer Ted wrote:Which of the four wingmen in Davies, Burgess, Manfredi and Marshall are sub standard? I think the standard of our wingmen is very high and perhaps that is why Charnley hasn't re-signed for Wigan.
Surely it doesn't matter how high a standard our wingers are if Charnley is of a higher standard than at least three of them?
Correct on one level.
But if we had to get rid of say 2 of them and maybe other players in other positions to accommodate his wages then it wouldn't be worth the risk (I have no idea what he's on and whatever it is good luck to him, I'm sure hell be a marquee paid player at wire) but it's not a risk imo worth taking by us.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

JUKESAYS wrote:
DaveO wrote:
JUKESAYS wrote:Just "Got Shut" of them?
Interesting.
Wonder what type of message that would send out.
The right one. Given the dearth of good players available that given the opportunity Wigan will always take it to improve the squad.

Now it's a matter of debate if people and the club itself think Charnely would do that or not but if he would, then surely you would want the club to sign him?

The same applies in any position with any player. If the club passes on the chance to sign better players than what it has already out of some misguided sense of loyalty it is headed for mid table mediocrity. The players don't return this loyalty do they?

We are constantly wondering when Budgie (for example) will jet off back to Oz.

And if they don't think he will especially given the money he would want then they may have chosen to not sign him.

SOME fans will make out they didn't even try even though they will have no idea wether we did or didn't.

"Some" people are constantly wondering when budgie will jet off.
This is not the 80's or early 90s. We don't own them, budgie signed a contract start of 2017 till ???? Whenever.
He'll be at the club until then unless the club agree to sell him.
I'll have a small wager (that neither of us can ever prove) that Wigan did assess the possibility of signing and that joshs wage demands would dictate that we would be investing Angell of a lot of money in an area we are already well covered for?
And despite what "some" fans think his none return to Wigan will have had little to do with any relationship issues with Wigan or anyone at the club.
No one has even brought up whether Wigan actually tried to sign him or not. The question posed by the o/p was simply is this a missed opportunity?

As I said above in the post you replied to it's a matter of debate if the club thought he would improve the squad or not so there is no need for a wager. Be interesting to know how they concluded he would not improve the squad though.

Your view as to how long Budgie will be here is totally irrelevant to the point I made. To spell it out again, players do not show the club loyalty so the club is under no obligation to show them loyalty either if better players become available. Nor should it.
You on the other hand clearly thought this would send out the wrong sort of message. No room for sentiment in pro sport.
markill

Post by markill »

I don't think he's better than what we have. He's very good, but so is what we have.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod