Josh Charnley....

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Lord Byron

Re: Missed opportunity?

Post by Lord Byron »

I don't think it's a missed opportunity at all. We have 4 very good wingers (assuming Dom is able to return at a level similar to pre-injury).

You can't just "get rid" of players. The club would have to pay off the remainder of their contract, or certainly a decent chunk of it. You then have to question whether it's worth paying off the contracts of 1 or 2 very good players to accommodate someone who may turn out to be a slight improvement. This is unknown as nobody knows if Josh will be able to recreate his previous form.

I would also question whether Josh is as motivated as our current wingers. It's only my personal opinion but in recent years he has seemed to be more interested in his "celebrity" status than his rugby.
Barney841

Re: Josh Charnley....

Post by Barney841 »

The Warrington players must be on pittance, as they seem to sign whoever they want.
Don’t get me wrong a lot there big money signings haven’t worked out but they are signing them none the less
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

really disappointment we didn't move for him,
brilliant winger and can also play centre,

we complain about the overall size of the squad, well Charley is a large winger while still having pace.

i don't know what worse though.

us not moving for him

or

Charnley signing for the team my wife supports.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Barney841 wrote:The Warrington players must be on pittance, as they seem to sign whoever they want.
Don’t get me wrong a lot there big money signings haven’t worked out but they are signing them none the less
I would imagine that they have had to make somebody a marquee player to get Josh under the cap, whether that is Josh I don't know but he will not come cheap.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Barney841 wrote:The Warrington players must be on pittance, as they seem to sign whoever they want.
I would imagine that they have had to make somebody a marquee player to get Josh under the cap, whether that is Josh I don't know but he will not come cheap.
A further thought, is there still a salary cap allowance for RU players?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Could have been a centre instead of the cockney
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

In all honestly I would have been more worried if we HAD signed Charnley.

He looks to have lost a yard of pace imo, I guess we will see if I am right on that or not.

We are fine for wingers. It's forwards (and arguably a half back) that we need.
jao711

Post by jao711 »

DaveO wrote:
JUKESAYS wrote:Never miss an opportunity to get a dig In even with no evidence to support
If you are referring my comment about Wane and Charnley not wanting to work with each other I am just expressing an opinion based on the very public fallout between the pair of them that occured in his penultimate season with us. Charnley was clearly disillusioned and made comments in his M.E.N column and Wane made public criticism of the player.
. Everyone at the club including Wane did their best to persuade Josh not to go to union.I think he’s lucky to come back to a big club but good luck to him.A very good winger.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:cant believe how fittle and short memories some fans are get rid of talented kids FOR WHAT. A player who quite openly flaunted his unwillingness to commit to a RL career. even saying he was a farmer first rugby player second. He's words not mine. Don't blame wane for not re signing him. Like him or not and I don't but on this he has my backing 100%. He went to sale for easy training ethics and could not even cut it there. Don't question his ability but seriously question his commitment when needed. Good luck to wire I say and would put all our wingers in before him.
When Burgess, Manfredi and Josh were together previous to Dom's bad injury Josh was the one missing out on games. Davies is a very god winger and Burgess is improving again. Only Marshall i would put at Josh ahead of if we get Dom fit.

Pople are just miffed he did not come back and if he did some would be just as miffed if we signed him. The club can do no right for some. I would rather we keep the money back for the Man of Steel who will improve us on the field. Than sign a winger in an area we can cover with ease.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Wintergreen wrote:In all honestly I would have been more worried if we HAD signed Charnley.

He looks to have lost a yard of pace imo, I guess we will see if I am right on that or not.

We are fine for wingers. It's forwards (and arguably a half back) that we need.
Sign Zak Hardaker and we have the best spine in SL by a mile.