Joel Tomkins

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
medlocke

Joel Tomkins

Post by medlocke »

As many of you know i am not a big fan of Joels, yesterday was Joels best game since returning from union, i am big enough to admit it, IF he carries on playing like that then he will silence me and rightly so, this does not mean that i will be a fan though as i never have been, come on Joel and prove me wrong for the rest of the season
Rochdale Warrior

Re: Joel Tomkins

Post by Rochdale Warrior »

Yes he has never been 100% fit due to various injuries , he certainly had a good game yesterday let’s hope he stays injury free and we see the best of him
AncientWarrior

Post by AncientWarrior »

medlocke wrote:As many of you know i am not a big fan of Joels, yesterday was Joels best game since returning from union, i am big enough to admit it, IF he carries on playing like that then he will silence me and rightly so, this does not mean that i will be a fan though as i never have been, come on Joel and prove me wrong for the rest of the season
Feel exactly the same as you, M.

I’ve always felt, however, that he has a lot more to offer. I’ve noticed lately that he always ‘checks’ his stride just before he takes the ball into contact. It’s like a shuffle of his feet but it destroys his momentum and makes it easier for him to be tackled. Joel is a big athletic lad and he is fast for his size. If he takes the ball full-bloodedly into the tackle, he’s going to want some stopping. Like you, I hope he stays injury-free and proves us wrong.
A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.

southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I don't think that Joel has been fit for a couple of seasons. With his injury problems we should be using him as the one to come on when Lockers needs a break. Joel does offer better handling skills/offloads than most of our pack. If we don't overplay either of them they should be able to play well all season. We have others to do the donkey work of playing backrow for 80 mins, Joel's knees aren't up to it anymore.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Hes never been my favourite neither but, like meds, i thought he had his best game yesterday....... hes still got plenty to improve on but im impressed with his very quick play the bal this season
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

Whatever the reason, he looked more interested and motivated yesterday. If that's because of a return to full fitness then that bodes well for the rest of the season.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
captinjack

Post by captinjack »

yokozuna wrote:Whatever the reason, he looked more interested and motivated yesterday. If that's because of a return to full fitness then that bodes well for the rest of the season.
Totally agree Yoko. He seemed like the Joel of a few years back Yesterday. Lets hope this is his kick on now.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Well said Medlocke.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

medlocke wrote:As many of you know i am not a big fan of Joels, yesterday was Joels best game since returning from union, i am big enough to admit it, IF he carries on playing like that then he will silence me and rightly so, this does not mean that i will be a fan though as i never have been, come on Joel and prove me wrong for the rest of the season
Every credit Meds! He was outstanding in my opinion against Stains, but like you say he needs to be more consistent!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

In my view he has been good all season, he would certainly be in my starting 13.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards