Sam to Catalan?

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
ian b

Re: Sam to Catalan?

Post by ian b »

that will cheer a few people up on here if he does go !!!
stevo38

Post by stevo38 »

seen a lot better players than him leave ie hanley, gregory ,edwards.richards etc .he will be replaced had his day and wigan know that
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Is anyone bothered?
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Cherry_Warrior

Post by Cherry_Warrior »

Strange kind of rumour, not the fact he could be moving on but the the team in question. I can't see Catalans staying up even at this early stage. They are a real poor outfit with an even poorer coach. The glaring thing they have going for them is the lifestyle and hot weather. To me this is either one of 3 things. Lazy journalism on a no news day to stir the pot before we play them. Sam and his agent wanting Wigan to act fast in negotiating him a new deal before they go to France thinking they will be fearful of him sneaking off and speaking to Catalans officials or Sam and his agent playing the media like so many before him to get him a better deal. There is an option in his contract to a one year extension after this one runs out and that is in the clubs favour so we have all the cards to play not the player for once. By the time that extension is up he will be nearly 31. Hardly a bargaining tool from Sam. He has been non existent for 2 seasons on big wages and it's now up to him to earn what he wants until his contract is up. If he leaves then he goes with my best wishes but it isn't something i will lose sleep over. I was gutted when the old Sam went to NZ Warriors but an ageing Sam with half the pace and flair leaving wouldn't cause me too much stress. Last time he felt un replaceable but this time not at all. You aren't that player any more Sam. You are not 23 any more. Earn a new deal if you want one.
adiddy

Post by adiddy »

Cherry_Warrior wrote:Strange kind of rumour, not the fact he could be moving on but the the team in question. I can't see Catalans staying up even at this early stage. They are a real poor outfit with an even poorer coach. The glaring thing they have going for them is the lifestyle and hot weather. To me this is either one of 3 things. Lazy journalism on a no news day to stir the pot before we play them. Sam and his agent wanting Wigan to act fast in negotiating him a new deal before they go to France thinking they will be fearful of him sneaking off and speaking to Catalans officials or Sam and his agent playing the media like so many before him to get him a better deal. There is an option in his contract to a one year extension after this one runs out and that is in the clubs favour so we have all the cards to play not the player for once. By the time that extension is up he will be nearly 31. Hardly a bargaining tool from Sam. He has been non existent for 2 seasons on big wages and it's now up to him to earn what he wants until his contract is up. If he leaves then he goes with my best wishes but it isn't something i will lose sleep over. I was gutted when the old Sam went to NZ Warriors but an ageing Sam with half the pace and flair leaving wouldn't cause me too much stress. Last time he felt un replaceable but this time not at all. You aren't that player any more Sam. You are not 23 any more. Earn a new deal if you want one.

Wholly agree!!!

Matt
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

medlocke wrote:
Wandering Warrior wrote:
medlocke wrote:How did you work that out?, are you his best friend?, he's won it all with Wigan, his career is on it's way out, money is all he will crave now, he will make sure he gets a good wage no matter where he plays, why do fans always look at these things with loyal sentimentality
And would that make you happy if he went?
It is not germane to the rumour
I know it's not but that's an easy cop out for you, so would it make you happy?
Do you think he offers nothing to the team?
Certainly from where I'm sat he's instrumental in a lot of our play.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Sky sports have picked this up Brian careny saying pretty much nailed on with hardaker as replacement
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Sams proved me wrong. He may not have the same pace and sharpness he once had but he reads the game so well , he is good at drawing the defenders and is good for an offload.
I wouldn’t be unhappy if he left but as long as a quality player was coming in.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The successful Leeds side of the Sinfield era had one big thing going for it and that was a settled squad key players like him, Burrows and Mcquire there for a number of years.

Yet here we are at Wigan with rumours that an equally influential player may be leaving and one the coach has just handed the goal kicking duties to (an issue not addressed since Richards left until now) and we look to have a potent weapon we have missed the last couple of seasons. No sooner is he back from injury on form but the rumour is he is leaving! Wane must be tearing his hair out if there is anything in this.

As to this being a chance for one last big payday, Sam just turned 29 in March. He's not "old" and is clearly offerting the team a lot. He can't simply be replaced.

If the club does let him go and cites such a reason for letting him leave you have to ask for whose benefit is the club being run? The club and its fans or the players and their agents?

I always thought the idea was to assemble the best squad you could to entertain the fans and win things and not let a key player leave as soon as someone comes sniffing just because you want to do the player a favour.

The club should get this sorted and issue a statement given it's now basically official Les Cats view that they want him.

It's also interesting that a club like Les Cats think it is worth a punt at prising a key player away from Wigan whereas we never seem to go chasing other clubs contracted players.

old hooker

Post by old hooker »

I would be sorry to lose Sam, I still think he is a top player and I have always rated him.However if he wishes to go then good luck to the lad.He owes Wigan nothing, has always given his best and been instrumental in most of our success.He can finish his career in the South of France and I wish him well.