Potential Signing

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
pearsy

Re: Potential Signing

Post by pearsy »

Why do Wigan never buy the finished article now?
Cherry_Warrior

Post by Cherry_Warrior »

Could be an inspired signing. Just hope the other rumour isn't true about us meeting him at a service station without the knowledge of Barrow. No need to treat them like small time because they are in the lower leagues. A bit of respect would have been appropriate. We don't need to do that. I am sure they would have let him go with their best wishes anyway if he has earned it.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Wasps have announced that Kyle Eastmond will be amongst four players that will depart the Coventry-based team, linking him with a return to rugby league.
https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/ky ... ue-return/
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Hasn't Eastmond hardly played through injury for the last couple of years? If he's being that sick-note in RU, don't fancy his chances in league.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Eastmond has always had injury problems but he is a fantastic rugby player.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

If it was this lad from Barrow it's not as daft as it first sounds if you remember Hamlin only has a two year deal and so may not be here after next season and Sutton is supposedly leaving anyway.

If a move for him is linked to either of these things then the question becomes does this signing make us weaker, stronger or are we standing still? At 25 he is going to be more physically mature than academy props but skills-wise who knows if he can make the step up to SL.

That said I can see this sort of signing being more common because without a viable reserve competition you are not going to be able to give young props the game time to get them from age 19 to age 25. They almost certainly have to leave and go and play for a team like Barrow and then you have to sign them if you can spot a good one a few years later. Barrow have in effect been acting as Wigan's reserve team if this signing is true.

Got to say I agree with the earlier post that if Barrow are upset because of how Wigan approached the player that is poor form. Wigan would be very annoyed if other SL or NRL teams did not go by the book if the boot were on the other foot.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

DaveO wrote:If it was this lad from Barrow it's not as daft as it first sounds if you remember Hamlin only has a two year deal and so may not be here after next season and Sutton is supposedly leaving anyway.

If a move for him is linked to either of these things then the question becomes does this signing make us weaker, stronger or are we standing still? At 25 he is going to be more physically mature than academy props but skills-wise who knows if he can make the step up to SL.

That said I can see this sort of signing being more common because without a viable reserve competition you are not going to be able to give young props the game time to get them from age 19 to age 25. They almost certainly have to leave and go and play for a team like Barrow and then you have to sign them if you can spot a good one a few years later. Barrow have in effect been acting as Wigan's reserve team if this signing is true.

Got to say I agree with the earlier post that if Barrow are upset because of how Wigan approached the player that is poor form. Wigan would be very annoyed if other SL or NRL teams did not go by the book if the boot were on the other foot.
Nail/head!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

It all depends if he will be given a chance. When we signed Sam Hopkins from Leigh he was going to be the next big thing, but was never given a change and then shipped back to Leigh, where he's looked good.

What's happened to Bretherton ?
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

First Try Tickle wrote:It all depends if he will be given a chance. When we signed Sam Hopkins from Leigh he was going to be the next big thing, but was never given a change and then shipped back to Leigh, where he's looked good.

Wasn't he a regular sub at Leigh before being released?

Bretherton - injuries?
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

First Try Tickle wrote:It all depends if he will be given a chance. When we signed Sam Hopkins from Leigh he was going to be the next big thing, but was never given a change and then shipped back to Leigh, where he's looked good.

Injured I think but you are right it does depend on whether a signing like this is given the chance. As he is 25 his only chance of playing regularly is by breaking into the first team given the pathetic state of the reserves competition.

The player himself has got to take a view of how realistic it is going to be for him to break into the team. There is no point signing to be sent out on loan.

As such I don't think it is fair for Wigan to characterise this as signing a "project" if that is what they are saying he is. This is far more like a regular signing given his age, a bit like signing Neil Cowie from Rochdale.

I don't have a problem with it when looked at like that. I can't recall anyone having a problem when Cowie was signed either. May have raised a few eyebrows but I am sure most thought he was worth a punt. Of course the difference between then and now is Wigan already had plenty of top class players and there was no salary cap so if a punt on a lower league player did not come off, no real loss. Now as well as seeking out players like this, which is fine, Wigan need to also be prepared to add some class to the side if as rumoured Bateman, Sutton, Gildart and Sam T are all leaving.