Wigan prepare to announce Hardaker arrival

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
medlocke

Re: Wigan prepare to announce Hardaker arrival

Post by medlocke »

moto748 wrote:
medlocke wrote:Ben Barba = Sky Sports Show Pony,

Yeah, he's rubbish, isn't he? :roll:

He's not responsible for the rubbish people say about him.
Where has anybody said he's rubbish
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Well, I've seen a fair few jaundiced posts. Barba is a world-class player, and I for one am glad to see him SL, even if it is for just one season. And seeing him assert himself himself against an admitted weakened Cas side, I still think we kept him pretty quiet in our narrow defeat at their place. I'm looking forward to the challenge of facing him again at the DW. Even if it is on a Thursday!
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

moto748 wrote:

But for many on here we would not morally be able to sign Barba. You know off field issues in the past and cocaine. Bet some on here glad he is playing for Saints and not us given he is not a roll model for our kids :wink:

Who else is like that I wonder.

Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Always knew that barba would tear up SL. Was awesome to watch in the NRL, where he will be back next year
Cherry_Warrior

Post by Cherry_Warrior »

I for one am delighted to have an x-factor player like Barba in Super League. Ok he is playing for Saints but at least he has made them competitive again. No matter who they are playing for these are the kind of players we need in the league. How boring is it to have a closed shop with the likes of us, Leeds, Warrington (challenge cups) and Saints winning everything every year. Castleford have introduced themselves onto the scene and Wakefield are starting to make some noises about challenging too. Add to that Hull FC'c recent success and we are improving the competition. I don't care what anyone says about it being a 'dying sport' yada yada etc because i love it. I love the way more teams are becoming competitive. I love the concept of the super and middle 8's. The middle 8's this year will be fascinating to watch. The salary cap and gulf between the NRL AND sL is the reason people think it's on its knees but it isn't. The skill level isn't the same as 20-30 years ago i will grant you that but the game has changed. The way the game is played has changed. We just need the proper media coverage.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Barba is helped by a coach who knows how to use him
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
moto748

Post by moto748 »

thegimble wrote:
But for many on here we would not morally be able to sign Barba. You know off field issues in the past and cocaine. Bet some on here glad he is playing for Saints and not us given he is not a roll model for our kids :wink:

And people are fully entitled to take that view if they wish. But of course, what applies to Barba should then also apply to Hardaker.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

thegimble wrote:
moto748 wrote:

The fact the sport as a whole gave him a way out of his ban does not reflect well on the sport. Player gets banned and manages to swan off and earn a pretty penny to the other side of the world is not a punishment nor a disincentive to being an idiot.

No SL club should have gone near him.

The fact Wigan are apparently desperate to sign Hardaker is almost as bad. I say "almost" because of course his ban will be up so it's not the same as signing someone who is banned from his home competition currently but Wigan have no connection to Hardaker and Wigan's interest has always struck me as opportunistic when in years gone by it would have given a player with his reputation a wide berth regardless of his talent.

Aaron C. Rescue

Post by Aaron C. Rescue »

medlocke wrote:
joeb wrote:No problem but what have Doncaster done to you :lol:
I once had a bad experience there involving a rotund girl, a jar of lemon curd and a Batman cape :eusa12: :lol:

Erm,she didn't have a tattoo of an anchor on her left shoulder by any chance
"Are you a jew by any chance ?", "No, a tree fell on me"

'I was certain, positive, convinced, and yet...unsure'

'It's only rock 'n' roll, but I like it'
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Over on rlfans there is a Cas poster who is certain Cas will sue Hardaker for breach of contract should he sign for another club. Basically the argument is Cas are £150K out of pocket plus whatever it costs in sorting a replacement out and loss of revenue. So a figure in excess of that £150K is being bandied about.

There is a precedent of a soccer player being sued for his transfer fee by Chelsea having failed a drugs test and being sacked.

No idea if there is anything in this but if there is I can't see Wigan stumping up to help him out. If they did they would have to make him the marquee player for all the wrong reasons otherwise any money paid to him by Wigan to help out would count on the cap.