Wigan prepare to announce Hardaker arrival

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan prepare to announce Hardaker arrival

Post by josie andrews »

Zak Hardaker’s impending contract with Wigan has been signed after the former Castleford Tigers and England fullback was handed a 14-month suspension by UK Anti-Doping last week.

The suspension will expire on 7 November this year, meaning he will be free to return to the sport and enjoy a full pre-season before resuming his playing career next season.

The Warriors have now signed the England international, whose legal team was able to successfully argue that his ban should be reduced due to “exceptional circumstances.”

He is expected to join the Warriors on a free transfer, having been sacked by Castleford in the aftermath of a positive drugs test taken on September 8, 2017, the date when the Tigers defeated Leeds Rhinos 38-24 in the Super 8s.

Castleford had paid £150,000 to Leeds Rhinos to sign Hardaker on a permanent basis in June last year, just four months before he was suspended by UKAD.

His imminent arrival at Wigan casts further doubt on the future of Sam Tomkins, who has been heavily linked with a move to Catalans.

http://www.totalrl.com/wigan-prepare-to ... r-arrival/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jobo

Re: ZAK SIGNING ?

Post by jobo »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:http://www.totalrl.com/wigan-prepare-to ... r-arrival/

Looks like its about to go public
Signing Hardacker and losing Tomkins?

Bad news imo.
Cherry_Warrior

Re: Wigan prepare to announce Hardaker arrival

Post by Cherry_Warrior »

Losing a leader. Gaining a better player.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Thread merged ????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

jobo wrote:

Bad news imo.
Maybe we should have let Sam go and not bothered replacing him, i wonder if that would make the moaning fans happy
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

medlocke wrote:
jobo wrote:

Bad news imo.
Maybe we should have let Sam go and not bothered replacing him, i wonder if that would make the moaning fans happy
Or signed a poorer player maybe. That would have been ok for some. Or we could have given ST a 4 year marquee money but loose a few players. Might be less on the cap but someone foots the bill.

More than happy to have him join us. Class player and would have kept ST out of the last world cup squad.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Cherry_Warrior wrote:Losing a leader. Gaining a better player.
I see it the same way. If we had both we woyld be unstoppable.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Signing Zak after losing Sam means us making the best of a difficult situation (i.e. Sam not being happy with the contract offered) so well done to the club. However, we still need to sort out who will organise the team, instead of Sam, on the field next season. Development of one of the halfbacks we already have or sign another?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

thegimble wrote:Or signed a poorer player maybe. That would have been ok for some. Or we could have given ST a 4 year marquee money but loose a few players. Might be less on the cap but someone foots the bill.
Does not alter the fact that unless the club are paying him less than £75k signing Hardaker makes it harder to retain players as he takes up more of the cap.

If he is on less than £75k there would be no reason not to retain Sam as well. Yes it would cost whatever it costs to do that but so what? I am sure IL is touched by your concern for his wallet why you are I don't know. A cheapskate chairman is not compatible with being chairman of Wigan RL.

There are only two ways to look at this financially. Either Hardaker is on peanuts so we could have both him and Sam or he's earning enough that his increased cost on the cap compared to Sam is what makes it harder for Wigan to retain other players.

It also makes it harder to retain players if we sign a marquee player to replace Sam from outside the club as it would take £150K rather than £75K out of the cap.
More than happy to have him join us. Class player and would have kept ST out of the last world cup squad.
And Cas might have won a GF. If's and buts....he took drugs instead.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

thegimble wrote:
Cherry_Warrior wrote:Losing a leader. Gaining a better player.
I see it the same way. If we had both we woyld be unstoppable.
The question is why can't we? Sam costs the club £75K on the cap. Peanuts for a player of his ability. The fact the club is apparently unwilling to fork out the additional wonga over and above that ought to be a concern regardless of any issues about Hardaker himself.

If we sign Hardaker and chuck enough money at a top NRL player to get them here in place of Sam as marquee (despite the £150k hit on the cap) I might be more in favour but I can't see that happening.