Tomkins Leaving - Official

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Tomkins Leaving - Official

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

First Try Tickle wrote:
up the junction wrote: Theres not a person on this board who woudnt take the opportunity to earn more money given the chance. Especially if your earning power stopped at say 35yrs old.
Good luck for the the future Sam and thanks for the memories.
Its not just earning more money, its then moving your young family to another country away from friends and family. Then telling them that he'll spend every other weekend away from home as he travels the UK playing games. There's also a good chance they will lose more games than they win, so his mood wont be the best.

An opportunity at work came up like this recently, more money but it meant staying away during the week and much more work at the weekend. The missus said no thanks.

think youre making a lot of assumptions there that unless you know him and his family personally you cant really just assume

His family may want to live abroad in a nicer climate, the weekends away may not even be an issue and i think professional sportsmen/women learn to cope with losing more as they mature you cant always win, Sams going into it with his eyes open
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

First Try Tickle wrote:
up the junction wrote: Theres not a person on this board who woudnt take the opportunity to earn more money given the chance. Especially if your earning power stopped at say 35yrs old.
Good luck for the the future Sam and thanks for the memories.
Its not just earning more money, its then moving your young family to another country away from friends and family. Then telling them that he'll spend every other weekend away from home as he travels the UK playing games. There's also a good chance they will lose more games than they win, so his mood wont be the best.

An opportunity at work came up like this recently, more money but it meant staying away during the week and much more work at the weekend. The missus said no thanks.
I can't disagree with that. He may live to regret it but once the seed is sown about actually leaving your employer my own experience is it quickly becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. You convince yourself the grass is greener and despite the fact your current employer may offer you a similar wage you have already convinced yourself you are off. If your employer then tries to tempt you to stay with their best offer which is actually a pay cut as has happened with Sam :eusa17: then that just convinces you that you are making the right choice.

EDIT: I meant to add the fact Les Cats tapped him up early against the rules could have sown the seed such that by the time Wigan started to talk to him his mind was set on leaving anyway.

Given he only cost £75K on the salary cap if I was IL I'd have called their bluffs taken the one year option up to wrap both Cats and Tomkins on the knuckles for doing a deal when they should not. If Tomkins wanted to sulk in 2019, let him sulk. If Cats wanted him, get them to pay a transfer fee.
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

Could always be moving there with a coaching position in mind under Shaun Wane.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

I think we would of gave Sam the extra year if we weren’t gonna sign hardaker. Keep zaks head straight we’ve got a hell of a player, maybe not as skillful as Sam but he’s better defensively.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
Wes wrote:I can’t help but think Dave and others would have had a moan if we retained him on mega money!! It’s ok saying he’s only 75k on the cap but that’s no excuse to overpay somebody!!

Also most contracts in sports now are progressive, sams 4th year may have been more than his 3rd. Let’s not forget we lost a year of that because of his own p1ssed up antics.

Ok he’s a good player but he isn’t the best Sam Tomkins we’ve ever had nor is he the best player in the league.

Hardaker at FB and a Marquee 7 from Oz will be better than Sam at 1 Powell at 7 so here’s to hoping the club sign an NRL 7 that has lots of class.
I totally agree with this however there is 0% of this being the case the comparison is

1.Sam 6.Williams 7.Powell or 1.Hardaker 6.Williams 7.Powell

in which case Sam is more of what we need as we have a completely avg 7 who isn't going anywhere.

I agree also that Sam now is not the player he was, however i disagree he isnt still one of the better players in the league, name a fullback other than Barbra who is better within superleague, not many 1's can slip into the halves, because not many 1's have the skill set Tomkins has.

I said he isn’t the best, Barba is, Hardaker was when at Leeds and when he was at Cas, Sams form has been nothing short of poor upto this season, it’s only this year he’s been anywhere near back to his best, I wouldn’t complain with Mead or Gigot either.

Sams a better half than Hardaker granted but that’s completely negated by the fact he won’t play there!! He said before a ball was kicked he’d prefer to stay at full back and after a few switcheroos he’s back at full back full time why Escaré struggles at 7.

Hardaker will score more than Sam but Sam will set up more than Hardaker.

Powell will more than likely end up back at 9 next season and so far Shorrocks and Woods haven’t staked a claim so we’ll need to sign a half and as you say which I agree with that’s where we should use our marquee spot.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Good riddance, not been worth the money, stole a living the first two seasons he was back, 8 or 9 good games out of 3 seasons simply isn't good enough, don't know why some fans are gutted, he did it once before and it was obvious he would do it again, IF he has got anything about him he will pull out all stops to try and help us win silverware this season. :angry:
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Josie's friend wrote:
ian b wrote:Sam gone Bateman marquee player :)
Tbh I don't agree he plays at centre for England because there are better second rowers, your marquee should be for a top player who would walk in to the England side.
Using the marquee status as a bargaining tool has already failed with George.
Agreed,

For my money the whole marquee status doesn’t work as we simply don’t have the big names to justify the ruling,make it purely for overseas players or players returning after a few year spell out the game here not as a bargaining tool for current players.

As you say it hasn’t really worked with Williams so why go back and make the same mistake again.
ian b

Post by ian b »

not debating that just saying what will probably happen
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Barney841 wrote:I think we would of gave Sam the extra year if we weren’t gonna sign hardaker. Keep zaks head straight we’ve got a hell of a player, maybe not as skillful as Sam but he’s better defensively.
So now we look to be signing a full back who is better defensively has this suddenly become more important again? When I used to post on here I didn't like seeing a half back as a full back I was told the role had changed since the glory days of Radlinski doing his trademark cover tackles and it was the ability to be a third half back coming into the line and linking the play that mattered.
ian b

Post by ian b »

and who's to say Joel won't go with him :) :)