Tomkins Leaving - Official

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: Tomkins Leaving - Official

Post by Caboosegg »

Josie's friend wrote:So they wanted him to take a big pay cut but not willing to take up the option for the extra year. Now before everyone starts crucifying Sam, Remember Rads & IL are getting in to a habbit now with this situation. It's never as simple as they make out and there's always another side.
It says the pay for extending the extra year was to much but the offered him a very good 4 year contract stll as a marquee.

Looking out for number 1 has because a wigan trait. Leeds don't seem to have the issue. Or saints.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

If he'd had been ripping it up this season he would have got what he wanted. He hasn't so we move on. Hate to say it but Barba was fantastic for stains at the weekend and it showed that we are missing that x factor type player. Sam of old was that player but not now.
jobo

Post by jobo »

Josie's friend wrote:So they wanted him to take a big pay cut but not willing to take up the option for the extra year. Now before everyone starts crucifying Sam, Remember Rads & IL are getting in to a habbit now with this situation. It's never as simple as they make out and there's always another side.
I agree.

The way the statement has been worded seems snidey to me and is playing for the sympathy vote.
It's fair enough to say Wigan don't value Sam at the same level that other clubs do but to me, they're just covering their backs.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Exactly. He costs the club on the salary cap £75K but what the club was worried about was overall cost.

They could have kept him for another year on the same wages and then offered a deal from that going forward but decided to tell him they were not prepared to pay him his current salary for another season. Then offering a four year deal on less money is still a pay cut even though it would have made him still a marquee player.

Whether Sam is really motivated by a different lifestyle or not, the club opened the exit door and he chose to walk through it.

The most interesting thing for me though in this statement is that the deal they offered him would have made him one of the three top paid players at the club. Not THE top paid player but one of three highly paid players.

I'd love to know who the other two are because whoever thay are, they are being seriously overpaid. And I would include Lockers in that if he is one of them simply because of his age the fact he does so few minutes these days.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

DaveO wrote:
Exactly. He costs the club on the salary cap £75K but what the club was worried about was overall cost.

They could have kept him for another year on the same wages and then offered a deal from that going forward but decided to tell him they were not prepared to pay him his current salary for another season. Then offering a four year deal on less money is still a pay cut even though it would have made him still a marquee player.

Whether Sam is really motivated by a different lifestyle or not, the club opened the exit door and he chose to walk through it.

The most interesting thing for me though in this statement is that the deal they offered him would have made him one of the three top paid players at the club. Not THE top paid player but one of three highly paid players.

I'd love to know who the other two are because whoever thay are, they are being seriously overpaid. And I would include Lockers in that if he is one of them simply because of his age the fact he does so few minutes these days.
It says '.....one of the top three contracts that the club has offered anyone in the past 10 years......'
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

First Try Tickle wrote:Everyone assumed that Catalans were offering a Marquee deal and Wigan weren't. It was also mentioned Catalans offered a 4 year deal and Wigan less.

Now it turn out Wigan have offered a 4 year Marquee deal, for more money than Sam was expecting, but still he choses Catalans because he wants to experience the culture.

So he turns his back on Wigan and any real chance of success in the future, just so his kids can learn a new language. He could have got that at Wigan Tech.

He really will be Rat Boy if his team are not winning every week and decisions going against them, but oh well at least he'll be able to go back to his chateau and a glass of wine after the game.
And not forgetting going out on the town and hurting himself.
Very disappointed with his attitude given the last couple of seasons and rumoured circumstances. However we move on and the need for a couple of on field generals becomes a necessity.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
up the junction

Post by up the junction »

Wandering Warrior wrote:
First Try Tickle wrote:Everyone assumed that Catalans were offering a Marquee deal and Wigan weren't. It was also mentioned Catalans offered a 4 year deal and Wigan less.

Now it turn out Wigan have offered a 4 year Marquee deal, for more money than Sam was expecting, but still he choses Catalans because he wants to experience the culture.

So he turns his back on Wigan and any real chance of success in the future, just so his kids can learn a new language. He could have got that at Wigan Tech.

He really will be Rat Boy if his team are not winning every week and decisions going against them, but oh well at least he'll be able to go back to his chateau and a glass of wine after the game.[
And not forgetting going out on the town and hurting himself.
Very disappointed with his attitude given the last couple of seasons and rumoured circumstances. However we move on and the need for a couple of on field generals becomes a necessity.
Theres not a person on this board who woudnt take the opportunity to earn more money given the chance. Especially if your earning power stopped at say 35yrs old.
Good luck for the the future Sam and thanks for the memories.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
DaveO wrote:

It says '.....one of the top three contracts that the club has offered anyone in the past 10 years......'
So he must have been the top earner ever then,so they wanted him to take a pay cut surely?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
DaveO wrote: Exactly. He costs the club on the salary cap £75K but what the club was worried about was overall cost.

So he must have been the top earner ever then,so they wanted him to take a pay cut surely?
I miss read it. I thought it said his was one of three other current contracts that were the best in the last ten years.

The fact it meant means it was one of the three best in the last 10 years has got to be the most irrelevant part of the entire statement. So what that at some time in the past 10 years two players were offered a better deal? (It must mean that or the club would say this was the best contract offered in the last 10 years).

Over the last 10 years different players were available and different rules applied including no marquee rule. It's just a rather snide remark trying to justify the pay cut.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Up The Junction.
I don't have a problem with him earning money, whatever the amount may be, but there's ways and means about doing things. The whole scenario has left quite a sour taste and a complete loss of respect for him in this instance.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield