Wane Leaving

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Nezza Faz

Re: Wane Leaving

Post by Nezza Faz »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:I think the quote is to do with the recent losses he has had to face. Losing a brother so young must be heart breaking.
He has shown himself to be a man of integrity and class, and will be a hard act to follow. I am pleased it is in the open now, though, so we can show our appreciation for the rest of what will be a glorious year on the field.
As for IL's investment, or under investment, the fact is that we pay more in salaries than any other club. So, he clearly cannot rationally be accused of under investment.
As for our success in IL's time, only Leeds have won as much as Madge and Wane managed. So, he clearly cannot rationally be accused of overseeing failure on the field.
In an ideal world, I would like Wane to get a good job with less pressure, and for us to get an NRL experienced head coach.
IL chose fantastically when he chose McGuire, and was proven right when he chose Wane. He has earned our faith this time.
Great post, agree 100% - double family bereavement must be intolerable, on top of all that pressure from elsewhere.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

So do I. I am sorry to see Shaun Wane go, and he has been a great servant to the club.
jobo

Post by jobo »

Good luck to him.

He's achieved far more than I expected and it's a measure of the man that he chose the timing of his departure.

I've a feeling we'll miss him far more than he'll miss us fans, well at least some of us.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Shaun Wane says the time is right for him to move on

Wane to leave Wigan at the end of the 2018 season

Wigan boss speaks to media following announcement

Shaun Wane says he feels that the time is right for him to leave the Warriors.

The Wigan Head Coach caught many people by surprise when it was announced on Monday that he would be leaving at the end of the season.

Having been at the club as a player for over 10 years, Wane has spent the last 20 years involved as a scout and then a coach.

He will leave upon completion of the season and says the decision has been very difficult.

“It’s been tough. I’ve been here a long long time and I’ve had some fantastic times.” He told the media yesterday (Tuesday).

“I’ve walked out at Old Trafford and won a World Club Challenge here in front of our own fans. I’ve won lots of things over the last 30 years but everything must come to an end.

“I just think that the time is right for me and my family.”

Wane has won the Super League Grand Final twice as Head Coach, the Challenge Cup Final, League Leader’s Shield and World Club Challenge.

“I’ve been in a fantastic high performance environment for a long time and I think I’ve done a good job here. I
have worked any harder.” He continued.

“I’ve done a lot. I’ve been with these players for a long time. I just want to do something different and challenge myself in a different way.

“It’s been on my mind for a long time, certain things have happened and I’ve just felt that it was time for me to look at something else.

“I can leave with my head held high. I’ll feel a lot better leaving having won some trophies!”

Asked how difficult it was to tell the players, who found out on Monday morning, he said: “It was very very difficult and a hard conversation.

“I love the relationship I have with the players. I treat them and they treat me like friends but we’re not afraid to have an awkward and difficult conversation with each other.”

Wane says his target for the season remains unchanged.

“(I want) To win on Friday at Hull KR and make sure we go into the Warrington game really focused and try to get to Wembley. I want to win every single game and if we do that then hopefully we’ll win some silverware but there’s lots of other teams going for that too.”

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2018- ... 2cHHXGB.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

josie andrews wrote:
Sutty wrote:I'm surprised that no one is picking up on this line from Waney's interview "at times has been incredibly difficult both on and off the field, especially the last two years".

To me that suggests that there has indeed been a lot of discontent off the field and whether it's down to IL and his policy of allowing players to leave and return is anyone's guess. I'm waiting to see who gets appointed as the next Head Coach, but if IL's past form is anything to go by, I fear it may well be John Winder. Which would be possibly the most underwhelming appointment possible.
He lost his father & brother which affected him badly. How he has managed to keep smiling shows the strength of the man.

Shaun Wane will be a massive loss to Wigan, and I for one, am extremely upset about this.
Sutty/Josie I wondered about that comment and then heard about his brother didn't realise he lost his dad as well.

I really like Shaun having helped him out with his radios a few years ago. It's a shame he couldn't have kept hold of an attacking coach. Waney covering defence/motivation with a Lam or Barrett covering attack would have been a dream team. Whatever he does I hope he does well.

I am praying Shaun Edwards comes home now.
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Wasn't Eddie Jones at Wigan a few week back?, Interesting :eusa16:
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Having thought about this for a while, a few things don't add up here.

I don't think Wane would leave Wigan "voluntarily". He has been pushed imo.

If this is the case, I don't buy the line that the club will "take it's time" in his successor. Those talks would be well down the line, if not finalised.

If it is Edwards, then this is really interesting as he has only just (a few days ago) lost out on the Harlequins RU Head Coach role. That would be a very quick decision by IL.

However, Wanes comments that he didn't want rumours of his departure spreading within the club would suggest it's not the case.... Unless of course these comments were a smokescreen.

The fact Eddie Jones was recently at a Wigan match? Again presuming Paul Gustard (the man who got the Quins job ahead of Edwards) kept his departure quiet, this would rule out the "scouting for England defence coach" theory.

My personal belief is that IL just sacked SW for whatever reason.

Nothing else is lined up.

Which actually is quite worrying.

Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Wintergreen wrote:Having thought about this for a while, a few things don't add up here.

I don't think Wane would leave Wigan "voluntarily". He has been pushed imo.

If this is the case, I don't buy the line that the club will "take it's time" in his successor. Those talks would be well down the line, if not finalised.

If it is Edwards, then this is really interesting as he has only just (a few days ago) lost out on the Harlequins RU Head Coach role. That would be a very quick decision by IL.

However, Wanes comments that he didn't want rumours of his departure spreading within the club would suggest it's not the case.... Unless of course these comments were a smokescreen.

The fact Eddie Jones was recently at a Wigan match? Again presuming Paul Gustard (the man who got the Quins job ahead of Edwards) kept his departure quiet, this would rule out the "scouting for England defence coach" theory.

My personal belief is that IL just sacked SW for whatever reason.

Nothing else is lined up.

Which actually is quite worrying.

I dont think he will have been sacked as of such but maybe there has been some form of disagreement.

My guess is that Wane knows how much a challenge next year will be and maybe asked for a war chest and IL said no and Wanes thought that 2019 with the personnel who are rumoured to be leaving + the personnel that have left he just didn't have the juice in the tank for it
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
My guess is that Wane knows how much a challenge next year will be and maybe asked for a war chest and IL said no and Wanes thought that 2019 with the personnel who are rumoured to be leaving + the personnel that have left he just didn't have the juice in the tank for it
We're all just speculating, of course, but that seems a likely course of events to me too.