Wane Leaving

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Wane Leaving

Post by DaveO »

sheepsteeth wrote:I’d be looking at Paul Deacon personally
Given we lost our new found goal kicker next year, as player coach :lol:
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Sad to see him go and wish him well whatever he does next. I hope it means extra motivation for this year - the double?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
oldhooker

Post by oldhooker »

No one can argue with Wanes passion for the job and the Wigan club.Perhaps he has realised we are now lacking in ambition and only sign returnees and rejects.However he has probably done as much as he can with Wigan.He has had some success it cannot be denied but we have been unattractive to watch in the last few seasons.Good luck to him though and I hope he finds what he wants.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cherry.pie wrote:
I think we'll really miss Wane when it comes to defence. He's one of the best in that regard, and it's hard to see who else could match him there.
The trick for any new coach is not to throw the baby out with the bathwater and to try and completely change everything just for the sake of it. Assess what is good and keep it, fix the issues.

The good stuff from Wane's era is fitness, tenacity and defence. Plenty to work on in other areas.

Ironically it was something Wane said in this regard right after his appointment that had me suspicious form the off. I was originally in favour of him getting the job because I expected continuity from Madge. In the two seasons he was in charge we lost just five games in 2010 and four in 2011. Both attack and defense looked great. Wane comes in and says he's not happy with the fact we drew three games in 2011 or lost some games closely and he had his plans to fix it. There was nothing needed fixing! There were no issues that needed fixing. It was just being unrealistic to improve on that sort of record. He then went on to some epic fails such as as losing in some of the fixtures he said he wanted to improve results on such as v Widnes and getting knocked out of the CC by HKR at Leigh. Made a rod for his own back saying he wanted to improve on those records.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

I haven’t been Wanes fan for a few seasons now and I’ve wanted him gone but he has proved me wrong this season I have to say.
Still think a new coach is a good idea though, fresh ideas. Like someone has said on here, you can’t beat Wanes motivation and fitness he brought to the team. There’s still a lot to come from the this team though I think. Bring a coach in with fresh skills and ideas, I think we would be unstoppable then. Hopefully get the best out of Williams as well
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Timing of this I find really strange. Why announce it now in the middle of May when hardly anyone bar one person on RLfans mentioned it last week and got shot down for it.

One logical reason for me is that whoever is taking over next season will join us very soon so a transition period can happen. IL never lets bad news go without something to follow. This is not like Noble apparently getting told in France he was not staying pass that season. Really strange for a coach to announce he is going at the end of the season. I know Ferguson did it and to a degree Wenger but this one really makes me think that Edwards is on his way. Union season over and Summer tour starting in June. That ends he comes in and prepares for next season.

It was mentioned last season that 2019 would see major changes.

I am rather indifferent to Wane going. Played the best rugby SL has seen in 2012 and won nothing. 2013 was almost as good but not quite and did the double. Sort of struggled a bit for various reasons since then won in 2016 playing some poor stuff. Unlucky not to win at least 1 more GF and was robbed at Wembley last season. Though Hull were the best side on the day.

This season marked improvement and could well win the GF. TBH I think we will win it and it will be a lot easier than people think.

Over all been a very good coach, but I do think this is the right time. Attendances has dropped due to various reasons and displays since 2014 on can not be ignored. Though he has been a lot more good than bad for us.

I wish him well in the future and hope whatever job he gets he is given time to turn that side round. Be it Catalan or Toronto.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

thegimble wrote:Timing of this I find really strange. Why announce it now in the middle of May when hardly anyone bar one person on RLfans mentioned it last week and got shot down for it..

It is strange timing. Lots of people on rlfans saying this is a planned announcement. I don't think it is. He has resigned.

Had he not done so I don't think IL had the slightest intention of looking for a replacement.

As to where he is going, it could well be Les Cats but if it is why is he not going now? They are in pretty dire straights and I am sure Wane no more wants to coach a championship side any more than Sam T wants to play for one.

He's not keen on being an assistant so the NRL would be a surprise unless someone is going to give him a head coach position. Toronto maybe?

Time will tell but something had made life at other than Wigan more attractive to Wane as I just do not believe he has been pushed out as part of some master plan not least because the club can't have forced him to resign. That would be a legal minefield.
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

Maybe he doesn't want to leave in the middle of the season,and wants to do it right - whilst also leaving on a high?
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Jesus, give it a rest with the "Edwards has been out of the game for too long" bollox, It's not like he's been coaching Finnish Wife Carrying for the last 10 years, he's been coaching at the top level of Union ffs, He's probably forgot more about League than what the top 5 know it alls on this site think they know, Like Wane he is Wigan through and through, Edwards with Faz or Deacon would be far more entertaining and successful than Waney and some Barrovian.
ian b

Post by ian b »

medlocke wrote:Jesus, give it a rest with the "Edwards has been out of the game for too long" bollox, It's not like he's been coaching Finnish Wife Carrying for the last 10 years, he's been coaching at the top level of Union ffs, He's probably forgot more about League than what the top 5 know it alls on this site think they know, Like Wane he is Wigan through and through, Edwards with Faz or Deacon would be far more entertaining and successful than Waney and some Barrovian.
Edwards went to Wasps with limited experience and i think he's been the most successful they have had. He will still watch league and i don't buy in to he'll have to get up to speed nonsense, the guy is a born winner