Sutton going

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Sutton going

Post by fozzieskem »

thegimble

Re: Sutton going

Post by thegimble »

fozzieskem wrote:http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2018- ... e-warriors

Back in a year I wonder?
Back to Widnes or Salford.

Time for us to say you going your not coming back. We have been burnt too many times now.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

thegimble wrote:
fozzieskem wrote:http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2018- ... e-warriors

Back in a year I wonder?
Back to Widnes or Salford.

Time for us to say you going your not coming back. We have been burnt too many times now.
Agreed the “safety net” Lenegan has created isn’t good enough really for a club of Wigan’s stature,leaving our club is a move down in my eyes and a move that should be carefully consindered not be safe in the knowledge you can bowl back up after it all goes wrong and claim homesickness
pearsy

Sutton gone

Post by pearsy »

How many more are going to leave are they leaving a sinking ship
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Hang on,though, what exactly was this policy we are all slagging off?

As I understand it, Wigan were never (with any player) guaranteeing a contract to a returning player, merely that if they wanted to sign for a SL club on returning from the NRL, Wigan would, in effect, be offered first refusal. Talk of it being a "safety net" for players implies that Wigan were obliged to offer a contract. Surely this wasn't the case?

The suggestion from some posters appears to be that these kind of deals should be abandoned in favour of an implicit threat/punishment:"If you leave Wigan, don't think you'll ever darken our doors again". But isn't that cutting off your nose to spite your face? Seems to me that the option (though not the obligation) to take back Sutton, for example, in a year or two would hardly be a bad thing.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

And I look at the size of Canberra's massive pack, and wonder why the hell they want Sutton anyway.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

FWIW I think he will make it down under. Big, young and with lots of improvement in him yet he will be missed. Sadly, as a sport we are incapable of preventing this from happening. If we go with what we have currently, i.e. Navarette or Hamlin, we are much weaker next season. Depressing.
moto748

Re: Sutton gone

Post by moto748 »

A second in the league and still in the Cup sinking ship.

But have it your way if you like.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

jinkin jimmy wrote:FWIW I think he will make it down under. Big, young and with lots of improvement in him yet he will be missed. Sadly, as a sport we are incapable of preventing this from happening. If we go with what we have currently, i.e. Navarette or Hamlin, we are much weaker next season. Depressing.
I'm with you JJ, I think that he has got what it takes.

Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

moto748 wrote:Hang on,though, what exactly was this policy we are all slagging off?

As I understand it, Wigan were never (with any player) guaranteeing a contract to a returning player, merely that if they wanted to sign for a SL club on returning from the NRL, Wigan would, in effect, be offered first refusal. Talk of it being a "safety net" for players implies that Wigan were obliged to offer a contract. Surely this wasn't the case?

The suggestion from some posters appears to be that these kind of deals should be abandoned in favour of an implicit threat/punishment:"If you leave Wigan, don't think you'll ever darken our doors again". But isn't that cutting off your nose to spite your face? Seems to me that the option (though not the obligation) to take back Sutton, for example, in a year or two would hardly be a bad thing.
I think the club has learned from its errors. Sutty should have been given a longer contract ala Davies and Marshall.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards