Wane's Reasons

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
wall_of_voodoo

Re: Wane's Reasons

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

First Try Tickle wrote:When I said Lenagan was refusing everything he asked for, I didn't mean just players. It started with an attack coach and included other things.
I was always under the impression that it was Wane himself that didn't want any more assistants after Deacon and Harris left as he saw them as interfering and a possible threat to his style of coaching
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Wane has always had everything that a coach should wish for on and off the pitch, including a base from local schools and clubs that only Leeds could match. If he walked away because of lack of opportunity and support, then god help him anywhere else in the northern hemisphere. Anyone can read the club's accounts - we spend plenty on staff.

In a similar vein, letting Sam and McIllorum go (and instantly sacking Joel) shows a keenness to break up the overpaid but under performing cabal at the club. Maybe that approach jarred with Wane's natural loyalty to "his boys".

However we got here, getting a new coach in is exactly what any club needs after such a long period of time hearing the same voice.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

Oldprop wrote:Had on good authority IL told all his staff that he had to reduce his overheads by 30% for next season. Seems SW wouldn’t take a pay cut!
Beltin first post
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Oldprop wrote:Had on good authority IL told all his staff that he had to reduce his overheads by 30% for next season. Seems SW wouldn’t take a pay cut!
He took more than a 30% at the start of his Wigan coaching career.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

wall_of_voodoo wrote:
First Try Tickle wrote:When I said Lenagan was refusing everything he asked for, I didn't mean just players. It started with an attack coach and included other things.
I was always under the impression that it was Wane himself that didn't want any more assistants after Deacon and Harris left as he saw them as interfering and a possible threat to his style of coaching
He wanted a new attack coach before the season, he interviewed one and told IL/KR that he wanted him but was told there was no money spare.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

First Try Tickle wrote:
wall_of_voodoo wrote:
He wanted a new attack coach before the season, he interviewed one and told IL/KR that he wanted him but was told there was no money spare.
Not true, Wigan offered Ian Henderson a deal but he chose to go to Wire!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

First Try Tickle wrote:
wall_of_voodoo wrote:
Not quite true The assistant in question got a better offer from another SL club. If there was no money available he wouldn't have been interviewed. KR was part of the interview team.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I think it’s fairly clear there’s coat cutting going on at the moment the non replacements of MM and FPN from the playing side will have helped some you can’t keep losing money hand over fist year on year at some point a line is drawn in the sand and I think IL has got the stick and a bucket of the yellow stuff and said enough
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

No straw damn us wrote:
First Try Tickle wrote:
wall_of_voodoo wrote:
Not quite true The assistant in question got a better offer from another SL club. If there was no money available he wouldn't have been interviewed. KR was part of the interview team.
So even though the club Ok'd Wane to get an attack coach, the person got a better offer from Wakefield. Sound like a money issue to me.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote:I think it’s fairly clear there’s coat cutting going on at the moment the non replacements of MM and FPN from the playing side will have helped some you can’t keep losing money hand over fist year on year at some point a line is drawn in the sand and I think IL has got the stick and a bucket of the yellow stuff and said enough
If he has then he needs to seek some partners and stop trying to be the single owner. It's rare for an RL club to break even never mind be profitable and in 2018 financial success relies as much on a trip to Wembley as it did in Uncle Mo's era.

The TV money pays all bar the marquee players wages for the playing squad. It was IL who pushed for the marquee rule as well so if he now can't afford that we have an issue. If the cost of running the club outside of the team including paying for coaches salaries and backroom staff is such that it is making a loss the buck stops firmly with IL to sort it out. And by sort it out I don't mean make cuts and deny Wane an attack coach but to find the necessary revenue. If his ventures to London and Oz have not raised it he needs to try other avenues and one of those is seeking partners who can invest in the club, preferably partners who run large companies and can sponsor the club like Warrington's owner.