Gelling?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
captinjack

Gelling?

Post by captinjack »

In this weeks Rugby League Express is a report that Anthony Gelling is being tracked by Widnes now as well as Catalans. I, for one, would bring him back to Wigan, by unloading the plonker Sargison, who's about as much use as a damp box of matches.

I know some on this site, no names mentioned, will not like this idea, but what but WTF. In my opinion Gelling put more effort in during his time at Wigan than we will ever see from Sargison.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Gelling?

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

captinjack wrote:In this weeks Rugby League Express is a report that Anthony Gelling is being tracked by Widnes now as well as Catalans. I, for one, would bring him back to Wigan, by unloading the plonker Sargison, who's about as much use as a damp box of matches.

I know some on this site, no names mentioned, will not like this idea, but what but WTF. In my opinion Gelling put more effort in during his time at Wigan than we will ever see from Sargison.
Gelling is not the answer, the fact he is better than the awful sarginson is neither here nor there, its like getting matty smith back because he is a better 7 than Powell.

Gelling was a strong runner, but he lacked composure and showed no signs of stemming that part of his game. He is a big improvement on Sarge but that is a reflection of how poor sarge is rather than how good gelling is.

Theres a good reason the sides tracking him are at the bottom end of the league
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Leave Gelling be,he was average at best a character though can’t say otherwise but no he shouldn’t come back
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
captinjack wrote:In this weeks Rugby League Express is a report that Anthony Gelling is being tracked by Widnes now as well as Catalans. I, for one, would bring him back to Wigan, by unloading the plonker Sargison, who's about as much use as a damp box of matches.

Gelling is not the answer, the fact he is better than the awful sarginson is neither here nor there, its like getting matty smith back because he is a better 7 than Powell.

Gelling was a strong runner, but he lacked composure and showed no signs of stemming that part of his game. He is a big improvement on Sarge but that is a reflection of how poor sarge is rather than how good gelling is.

In a nutshell - perfectly put. Although if I was offered Matty Smith on loan, I'd take him and maybe use him as hooker for his ability as a fast distributor of the ball and as an option for tactical kicking.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Southern Softy wrote:
In a nutshell - perfectly put. Although if I was offered Matty Smith on loan, I'd take him and maybe use him as hooker for his ability as a fast distributor of the ball and as an option for tactical kicking.
I don't think anything Matty Smith did could ever be described as "fast".

As to Gelling v Sarge it's a debate about who is least worst. If Sarge has one positive attribute it's he's a trier and gives 100%. Technically he's not good enough. Gelling was signed as a project player and left as one six years later. No improvement in his game whatsoever. A few games a season where he looked good usually against poorer opposition was not enough.

We dodged a bullet so I thought when Sarge left early but we were daft enough to bring him back. When another sub standard player volunarily exits the club lets not make the same mistake twice.

I also think the fact Gelling basically walked out for what will turn out to be (if he returns to SL) less than compelling reasons should rule out a return here. As soon as he can't get a game in the NRL his girlfriend issues vanish.

Finally while any new coach can't complain the club signed Greenwood I don't think it should be lumbering the new coach with a player like Gelling. He's just not good enough to be a no-brainer type of signing regardless of him walking out.

shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Southern Softy wrote:
Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:

I wouldn't have him as a water carrier.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

I would go for Peter Mata'utia.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

His last performance for the NZW was nothing short of abysmal......we have one decent centre( not including bateman)....... if we sign gels back we will still only have one decent centre
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
captinjack

Post by captinjack »

Can I take that as a no then?
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Bring him back entertaining to watch adds a bit of size and the won us a few games single handedly ????

Some people will not be happy whoever we sign as soon as the put in a wigan shirt and make a error they are rubbish ????
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.