Super 8's to go?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Wigan_forever1985

Super 8's to go?

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-9203696

Only Leeds disagree

it would be a huge step forward IMO to ditch the super 8's which has essentially made the first part of the season a big pre-season
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Re: Super 8's to go?

Post by josie andrews »

Thank God for that ????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

It was better when it was the top 5
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-9203696

Only Leeds disagree

it would be a huge step forward IMO to ditch the super 8's which has essentially made the first part of the season a big pre-season
Surprise Surprise.

At last, an end to the sillyness
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-9203696

Only Leeds disagree

The S8's were only there to provide the qualifying team for the million pound game and while they ruined the regular season in the process it sounds like scraping them means a return to automatic P&R is back on the cards instead and that has never worked ever since the game went full time.

As to the S8's being a season long qualifier, nothing really changes on that score. The season is still a season long qualifier for the playoffs.

It's that just in theory going forward you do not exclude half the league from the season long qualifier at the time of the season the S8 split would normally occur. The trouble with that is it is not likely any team in 9th place or below at the same time as the S8 split would normally occur is going to get into the top four anyway.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

There must also be other changes afoot because with a 12 team SL and S8's scrapped that is only 23 games a season (22 + magic) if you play each side home and away.

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Top 5 playoff, 14 teams for me.

Or

The US model - 2 region based Conferences with 8 teams, cross conference play, top 4 playoffs in each with grand final between the winners. This has the advantage of allow us to admit any number of expansion teams as the format is very flexible.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Long been a rumour that no club will be relegated this season and that one or two clubs will enter SL

Is this the signal???
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Dummy well spat out :lol: :lol:

There has already been one dissenting voice after Elstone revealed the changes - Leeds Rhinos chief executive Gary Hetherington.

Hetherington, who has had administrative roles at Sheffield and Leeds as well as coaching and playing positions, and was formerly president of the RFL, was quick to reveal his discontent.

"Today's announcement regarding plans for next season appear to be an absurd grab for power for the game by a small group of men who think they own the game," the statement from Leeds said.

"Leeds Rhinos are not party to this and are totally against the creation of a separate Super League executive.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/44455976
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

wall_of_voodoo wrote:Long been a rumour that no club will be relegated this season and that one or two clubs will enter SL

Is this the signal???
So yet another upheaval claiming this will work,wasn’t the point of the super 8s a vehicle to provide extra revenue,so assuming that the season could end after 23 games or at best 25 can we expect huge increase in season ticket prices’s?

I find it doubtful the sport will ever get a mega money tv deal and in all probability a tv deal for less money the shortfall will be I’d assume by fans or more hair brained schemes to places that don’t care about the sport