Batemans Gone

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Batemans Gone

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Caboosegg wrote:You wont know if its egg on the face or a brilliant idea until it happens but its very rare a player will lose the level of class bateman is at the age of 27-28. Its like a work secondment you go to the new job for a set period then return to your old role.
Batemans's potential form and fitness in 2 or 3 seasons is only part of the issue. This has tied the club to re-signing him in 2 or 3 years and paying him a marquee wage whether he is the player the squad needs at that time or not. For that reason alone it is a stupid idea.

In addition, yet another deal to offer a player who is leaving a bolt hole back will, IMO, just encourage others to ask for the same deal. Rumours about Williams wanting to go to the NRL have cropped up. I am sure him or others will be encouraged to give it a try if this is how the club react. Without the club being so accommodating there is more to consider before asking for a move. With the way Wigan act, there is no downside to seeking an NRL gig.
it works both way though if we don't offer it we then may lose out when they return.
We have not "won" yet regarding returning players. Though if he'd not have been injured we might have with Sam T.
we have been lucky in recent years with Wingers but if we hadn't been we would have missed out on charnly (who is having a good season) would you be annoyed? not all player also come back failures, Greg Eden? Mike Cooper they didn't cut it in the NRL for some reason but they are both stand out players in SL
Charnley is a great example of why we should not do this. You are suggesting its luck we do not need him back. Does the fact we do not clearly not show we do not need to seek ex players to return and that you are doing the club a bit of a disservice here on replacing players who do leeve?

I think he's a great winger and I wish he had not left but he did and we move on.
its not that i'm happy that Bateman is going and has a life line, i'm not. but would you want him staying wishing he had tried the NRL and regretting being at wigan? i am happy he is returning after his stint as i have not seen as much pride in wearing a wigan shirt in recent years as John Bateman has shown and for that reason i will welcome him back.
I'll welcome him back as well - if he's in top form and if we need him and not any other marquee player but no one knows that. What do we do if the young forward how made his debut recently (name escapes me) kills it?

If he'd regret staying then he should leave. Same with any other player who has the chance but I do think the bolt hole we offer makes it more likely players will convince themselves they should leave.
its rare player have loyalty in any form to clubs anymore and the fact we have Faz/Locker and bateman who does want to play for us in the long term is brilliant.

of course he could end up going over enjoying the lifestyle and never come back then i will have a different view of this but thats hindsight/
Bateman is not being loyal! He's leaving! Faz is loyal but I think Faz knows he's a top SL player but not an NRL player and nothing wrong with that. Both of them are doing what they see as best for themselves. No issues at all with Bateman's ambition I just do not like the club tieing its hands like this. Move on, not look back.

I will say having read the press release Bateman does seem genuine about his desire to return but that is today. Not when in two or three years another Aussie club or the Raiders offer to double his NRL salary.