Pinched from Bilko re Liam Marshall

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pedro

Re: Pinched from Bilko re Liam Marshall

Post by pedro »

jinkin jimmy wrote:
pedro wrote:
Firestarter wrote:I always thought mark preston was faster than offiah....... he scored some great tries for us but we got rid coz he couldnt tackle........ then we signed offiah lol
wasnt in offiahs class for speed
You're exaggerating. There was very little in it speed wise for me. Also (for Firestarter) my understanding was that he had a decent job and wouldn't turn full time?
not at all, watch youtube with offiah, offiahs got the ball, looking over his shoulder and still pulling away from preston
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Liam's Dad was no slouch either. Before Offiah arrived we had two speedy young wingers in Preston and Marshall. Such a pity injury ended Marshall seniors career early.

The emergence of Liam and Davis reminds me of that time.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

pedro wrote:
jinkin jimmy wrote:
pedro wrote: wasnt in offiahs class for speed
You're exaggerating. There was very little in it speed wise for me. Also (for Firestarter) my understanding was that he had a decent job and wouldn't turn full time?
not at all, watch youtube with offiah, offiahs got the ball, looking over his shoulder and still pulling away from preston
One video alone isn't conclusive. Were both as fatigued, where both at the same fitness levels, etc, etc? You're welcome to your opinion but I'll stick with mine. I'm not saying Preston was faster but he was certainly "in the same league".
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

DaveO wrote:Liam's Dad was no slouch either. Before Offiah arrived we had two speedy young wingers in Preston and Marshall. Such a pity injury ended Marshall seniors career early.
Rubbish!
Dave Marshall was never "quick", his main attribute was he read the game very well so put himself in great support positions

As for Marshal and Preston, it was Myers on the wing who got pushed out by Offiah
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Firestarter wrote:
Fujiman wrote:
Wintergreen wrote: At the risk of thread drift, I think he was about the same. He didn't have Offiah's "eye for the line" though.

Fastest player we have had, iirc was a New Zealander called Gary Henley-Smith.
When was that?
i remember henley smith...... only played a few times....ex kiwi sprinter
Watched Henley Smith debut. He might have been quick on an athletic track with suitable shoes BUT on a field he was NEVER the fastest player we ever had
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

wall_of_voodoo wrote:
DaveO wrote:Liam's Dad was no slouch either. Before Offiah arrived we had two speedy young wingers in Preston and Marshall. Such a pity injury ended Marshall seniors career early.
Rubbish!
Dave Marshall was never "quick", his main attribute was he read the game very well so put himself in great support positions

As for Marshal and Preston, it was Myers on the wing who got pushed out by Offiah
Surely only after Marshall senior's career had ended. I was not suggesting at all Marshall was the winger when Offiah arrived.

I do however remember watching Marshall stood there in the Kop and thinking we had two very good young wingers with him and Preston. It's along time ago though! I liked Myers as well. Stocky but quick and I think he'd do well in the modern game.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I liked Myers but he did have a decent centre . . . a certain Gene Miles.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

morley pie eater wrote:I liked Myers but he did have a decent centre . . . a certain Gene Miles.
dean bell was his centre mostly.....miles played mostly at right coz deano was just as good at either centre position........ dave myler wasnt my favourite but had the best step out of all of the above
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
pedro

Post by pedro »

jinkin jimmy wrote:
pedro wrote:
jinkin jimmy wrote: You're exaggerating. There was very little in it speed wise for me. Also (for Firestarter) my understanding was that he had a decent job and wouldn't turn full time?
One video alone isn't conclusive. Were both as fatigued, where both at the same fitness levels, etc, etc? You're welcome to your opinion but I'll stick with mine. I'm not saying Preston was faster but he was certainly "in the same league".
its more conclusive than an opinion though
pedro

Post by pedro »

wall_of_voodoo wrote:
Rubbish!

true, preston was displaced by Myers