‪19-Man Squad: Vs Huddersfield‬

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
captinjack

Re: ‪19-Man Squad: Vs Huddersfield‬

Post by captinjack »

Wigan TV is showing Highlights of last nights game. HIGHLIGHTS what bloody highlights!!!!!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote:
acwrlfc wrote:That's why we need a new youngish Aussie assistant coach with fresh ideas. Look at the improvement in Saints and Hudds and to a lesser extent Warrington.

Also I ll repeat what I said earlier I think our squad is on the thin side or very in balanced and needs investment or a way to avoid all these repeating niggling injuries
I’ll agree with you over the balance of the squad,not sure if Wane before he goes wants to play a team full of,props it certainly seems that way,and as for the depth of the squad yes it very thin a couple of injuries and boom last season all over again.

The French connection maybe needs breaking up too,not a fan of Escare the more I see of him the less he impresses me,I will happily say this though I was utterly wrong about Navarrette he is arguably SL most improved players still not the finished article but getting there,I’m not sure though where Escare fits in when Hardaker comes,no way is he good enough for full back and in the halves he’s deeply average,hopefully Williams and perhaps woods will be taking those places so where does that leave him?
When Escare came to us he was played in his preferred position at FB. He played excellent from there & was kicking conversions also. That’s why he was given a new contract.

It seems since his injury at Cas last year & Sam Tomkins return to full fitness plus him playing FB, it has pushed Escare out & he is constantly playing in different positions.

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote:
fozzieskem wrote:
acwrlfc wrote:That's why we need a new youngish Aussie assistant coach with fresh ideas. Look at the improvement in Saints and Hudds and to a lesser extent Warrington.

Also I ll repeat what I said earlier I think our squad is on the thin side or very in balanced and needs investment or a way to avoid all these repeating niggling injuries
I’ll agree with you over the balance of the squad,not sure if Wane before he goes wants to play a team full of,props it certainly seems that way,and as for the depth of the squad yes it very thin a couple of injuries and boom last season all over again.

The French connection maybe needs breaking up too,not a fan of Escare the more I see of him the less he impresses me,I will happily say this though I was utterly wrong about Navarrette he is arguably SL most improved players still not the finished article but getting there,I’m not sure though where Escare fits in when Hardaker comes,no way is he good enough for full back and in the halves he’s deeply average,hopefully Williams and perhaps woods will be taking those places so where does that leave him?
When Escare came to us he was played in his preferred position at FB. He played excellent from there & was kicking conversions also. That’s why he was given a new contract.

It seems since his injury at Cas last year & Sam Tomkins return to full fitness plus him playing FB, it has pushed Escare out & he is constantly playing in different positions.
And that’s the point Josie,Sam’sform has shown us what a top class fullback looks like and if Zac can get back to anything like the form he’s capable of then that’s Escare out of running at fullback unless injury strikes,the halves surely will be between Williams,Woods and Powell/new signing maybe that shuts that option out,I just don’t know if he’s got a long term future at the club.

Navarette however has been a revaluation maybe Escare needs to look to his mate and grasp the challenge of trying to make himself indispensable.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

medlocke wrote:Give Escare a try in the centres, You never know it could work out
Why would you think that? He can't tackle! It's not so long back, people here were saying, Gildart is too small to be a centre! And yet you suggest Escaré?

I agree with the comments upthread about Escaré. And Navarette, come to that; he has improved a hell of a lot. Escaré's function now seems to be, run around for a bit and see if you catch out some tired forwards. Which is about right, I reckon.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

The truth is Escare has been poor for most of the season. Maybe it's a confidence thing, he just doesn't back himself. A very good argument for reserve grade where he could rebuild his confidence/sharpness.

Back to lat night I can't agree with Wane on the greasy pitch. Wigan made twice as many handling errors than Huddersfield, same ball, same pitch. Too many players had poor performances (handling). It's unusual for so many though in one game. Considering the amount of ball Huddersfield had I thought we were fortunate to get away with that scoreline.
acwrlfc

Post by acwrlfc »

We need to accept we are poorly coached and players drop out with the slightest injury.

A new coach like at Saints drives them on with no connections, the sooner this clique and excuses goes the better, I think a complete new coaching staff is needed
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

acwrlfc wrote:We need to accept we are poorly coached and players drop out with the slightest injury.

A new coach like at Saints drives them on with no connections, the sooner this clique and excuses goes the better, I think a complete new coaching staff is needed
It's just stale. No different to last season. The one new "tactic", the "switcheroo" has gone stale because Escare is showing poor form.

The team can get up for a game but then follows it up with a performance of a mid table side. No consistency and they don't give the impression they are confident in what they are doing. Roll on next season as I don't think the rest of this is going to be anything but frustration.
No straw damn us

Sarginson, Manfredi, Forsyth, Higginson, Burgess, Williams, Shorrocks, Sutton, Ganson, Wells, Farrell, Greenwood, Bateman.

Not a bad team that.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

I honestly do think with a new coach and a couple of signings we will be a different team next season.
Fresh ideas and a new enthusiasm are needed in this team.
Hate to say it but look at saints, look a different team with hollbrok arriving. They look like there really enjoying there rugby at the moment and have all the momentum
No straw damn us

Barney841 wrote:I honestly do think with a new coach and a couple of signings we will be a different team next season.
Fresh ideas and a new enthusiasm are needed in this team.
Hate to say it but look at saints, look a different team with hollbrok arriving. They look like there really enjoying there rugby at the moment and have all the momentum
Yes, and baring Walmsley no injuries. It makes a dig difference.