The Coach Is Critical

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

The Coach Is Critical

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Saints are basically the same team as 2017, what has changed? Answer, the coach. They are a team that do the basics well. Rugby League is a very simple game if executed correctly, quite simply Holbrook is a far better coach than Wane. Swop the coaches and I honestly think we would have won that game.

Saints forwards run hard and straight looking to offload the ball, ours hit the ground as quickly as possible and create no room for our half backs to operate in. The forward battle is key to their game plan. This is a forward pack which boats the likes of Peyroux, Wilkin, LMS, Douglas, Amor which are hardly top players but were far better than our bunch! Their defensive line speed was far more impressive than ours which ultimately restricted our options and thinking time. Ours gave the likes of Roby the freedom of the park.

You need to be ruthless in sport and hence IFL needs to send Waney on his way and get a new coach in with new ideas. The coach needs to be ruthless and move players along. I honestly believe that we are not a million miles away but we need key decisions to be made.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Barney841

Re: The Coach Is Critical

Post by Barney841 »

That’s what I’ve always said, new coach, new ideas and you will see a better team.
A decent coach can get more out of this current team
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Defo agree
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Yes I have to agree,Saints are a workmanlike side with a touch of stardust Wigan much the same but missing new ideas and that touch of pazazz perhaps,there are areas that surely need addressing such as props and perhaps less so now by signing Hanky the centres and the halves of course.

The era of Wane is over,I don’t like long goodbyes a new coach should have been installed by now in my opinion,and think it’s that fact that Wane is still there is why this season is going off the rails a little I can only hope he can steady the ship till October oddly of course if he does go on and do the job at old Trafford it could be his crowning moment,after the listless display last night though that’s a long way off
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

Two or three years down the line, is Wane likely to admt that he was wrong, that he should have quit after the 2016 season, that he's let the club, players and supporters down.
Even to someone as staunchly patriotic as him, he must now see that his methods are out of date when he sees the changes at Huddersfield and St Helens thanks to an imported coach.
Good luck to him in Scotland and later, when he takes over from Wayne Bennett but if our new coach has been selected (and I'm reliably informed it'll be Lam), then let's have him in place now. How similar is this situation to that at St Helens last year, Holbrook comes in halfway through the season and turned a very similar bunch of players into a team ready to take on all-comers and he's done a grand job. Wane must realise now that his system is not the way forward.
BriH

Post by BriH »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:Saints are basically the same team as 2017, what has changed? Answer, the coach. They are a team that do the basics well. Rugby League is a very simple game if executed correctly, quite simply Holbrook is a far better coach than Wane. Swop the coaches and I honestly think we would have won that game.

Saints forwards run hard and straight looking to offload the ball, ours hit the ground as quickly as possible and create no room for our half backs to operate in. The forward battle is key to their game plan. This is a forward pack which boats the likes of Peyroux, Wilkin, LMS, Douglas, Amor which are hardly top players but were far better than our bunch! Their defensive line speed was far more impressive than ours which ultimately restricted our options and thinking time. Ours gave the likes of Roby the freedom of the park.

You need to be ruthless in sport and hence IFL needs to send Waney on his way and get a new coach in with new ideas. The coach needs to be ruthless and move players along. I honestly believe that we are not a million miles away but we need key decisions to be made.
Can't argue with anything you have said.
billy's pineapple ring

Post by billy's pineapple ring »

Very similar to Madge with us essentially the same group of underperforming players turned into champions in one season.Lets heed the lessons of the past.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Before it was announced Wane was leaving we were playing well. Players fit and available. Now he announces he is going he starts the rotation crap and injuries come in.

And since then we have been going backwards rapidly. Time to let Wane go now.
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

Completely agree. All his talk is still about toughness and blood, not about skill and flair of which he allows little to flourish. For a guy who doesn’t make excuses, he makes a lot of them! The real worry is that our two best players, again, are leaving or likely to leave and we are left with the ‘ham & eggers’ like Powell, Isa, Tautai. Another season that’s likely to underachieve. We’re desperate for new ideas. If Wane’s ok with last night, plenty people I listened to weren’t and he needs to stop thinking it’s all about him and more about players and fans.
jobo

Post by jobo »

Fan4Fifty wrote:Completely agree. All his talk is still about toughness and blood, not about skill and flair of which he allows little to flourish. For a guy who doesn’t make excuses, he makes a lot of them! The real worry is that our two best players, again, are leaving or likely to leave and we are left with the ‘ham & eggers’ like Powell, Isa, Tautai. Another season that’s likely to underachieve. We’re desperate for new ideas. If Wane’s ok with last night, plenty people I listened to weren’t and he needs to stop thinking it’s all about him and more about players and fans.
Wane isn't the one letting Bateman, Tomkins and Sutton go though is he?