Are We Really That Bad?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Are We Really That Bad?

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Third best attacking team, 2nd best defensive team!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Barney841

Re: Are We Really That Bad?

Post by Barney841 »

The way we play isn’t great. Could we play better, yes
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:Third best attacking team, 2nd best defensive team!
Comparatively no when you quote those stats, but it is the decline in the Standard of RL that is bad.Fans will always compare players to others of yesteryear and when yo look at some of our squad they are average at best and would never have maintained selection.RL has become soft and very predictable compared to a few years ago so the answer is yes we are bad and I dont believe fans get value for money in todays game.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Can we shut up about the decline in RL
It isnt just that yes some teams are getting worse and due to the money we cant have the same level of players but teams like Hull/wakefield/Castleford have improved drastically in recent years down to new coaching and sorting out finances (castleford) they havent improved just because of a decline, they have improved on the pitch!

As for us. Wanes annoucement did the damage. We were ticking along nicely until that point.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

At the very least it’s a hell of a coincidence that the sides form dropped off after Wane said he was off..
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

My take on the year so far is that it has been much better than 2017. We have generally been very good, and much more interesting to watch. We had an inevitable dip after Wane announced his departure/the Tomkins brothers disgrace, and have struggled the last few weeks as injuries have taken their toll. But I will take second place at this stage. The attack has been limited recently, but we have shown real resilience, and will be much better once Williams, Gildart and Lockers (even Sutton would be handy) return. Meanwhile, Greenwood will get better and better, and Hankinson looks like a very canny signing, ultimately freeing Bateman to play in the pack again.

We need a new coach, and will get one, but in the meantime there is every reason to think we can secure a top 2 spot, especially is Wire get to Wembley, and have that distraction.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Caboosegg wrote:Can we shut up about the decline in RL
It isnt just that yes some teams are getting worse and due to the money we cant have the same level of players but teams like Hull/wakefield/Castleford have improved drastically in recent years down to new coaching and sorting out finances (castleford) they havent improved just because of a decline, they have improved on the pitch!

As for us. Wanes annoucement did the damage. We were ticking along nicely until that point.
Who do you think you are telling people to shut up? My opinion like many others is that RL is in decline in many ways, I do not expect everyone to agree with me and respect other views.This a forum for expressing their thoughts so once again do not tell me to shut up.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I don't see the decline in RL. This season has had entertaining games pretty much every week. It's not been more predictable especially towards the bottom with hudds and cats changing their fortunes completely around. And now we get to see Toronto, London and toilouse beat Leeds!

2016 and 2015 were dire, but IMO the opinion that the game is going downhill and is boring is two years behind the facts on the ground.

BTW that doesn't mean I think we're playing well at the moment, because we aren't. Good defense though and our poor play was almost enough to beat saints, so we're not far off.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

I think declining is a strong word, what it is I think people compare it to the NRL as it’s better rugby and more entertaining(I’m guilty of this also).
But we’ve got what we’ve got and just have to get on with it, unfortunately, which is what I’m gonna do and ge behind my team and hopefully the new coach will bring better things to the table.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

old hooker wrote:
Caboosegg wrote:Can we shut up about the decline in RL

Who do you think you are telling people to shut up? My opinion like many others is that RL is in decline in many ways, I do not expect everyone to agree with me and respect other views.This a forum for expressing their thoughts so once again do not tell me to shut up.
Its a term of phrase that isnt really directed at anyone. Same way as someone saying im fed up of hearing about ETC.

Maybe i would have agreed with you about a decline a couple of years ago but
We have just got the lost funding to grass routes back, teams are improving is trying to fight the RFL to better the game.

Yes there is some worrying trends currently salford/widnes/leigh all potentially going bust but it is not all doom and gloom!
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.