Winning GF not out of the question

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
catman

Winning GF not out of the question

Post by catman »

I think we can all agree we've not been brilliant so for this season and I think it's a sad inditment of the league that we are second and almost nailed on for a semi final appearance. We started reasonably but after the coaching announcement and injuries to a few key personnel we have tailed off badly.
Yet I don't think it's all bad news as Saints who have been the best team so far do not look unbeatable in typical saints manner they have ridden their luck a few times and they have been fortunate with injuries.
I honestly feel that if we could get saints at old Trafford we could draw them into a low scoring arm wrestle and our forwards could wear theirs down in a similar manner to the match at the DW a few weeks ago which without the early mistake would have been a low scoring game which we could have shaded at the death.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Winning GF not out of the question

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

We can win the GF but we are going to have to play a lot better and smarter. Unless our forwards start to dominate then we have no chance. As for Saints, it will be interesting to see how their pack goes against the Catalans six this week. The Wire forwards clearly had the beating of the Saints pack on Thursday hence their backs were not as effective.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

catman wrote:I think we can all agree we've not been brilliant so for this season and I think it's a sad inditment of the league that we are second and almost nailed on for a semi final appearance.
I have said the same thing myself. We'd have to be spectacularly bad in the next 7 games and lose the lot of them to finish 5th with Hudds winning 6 out of 7. Something like that anyway.
I honestly feel that if we could get saints at old Trafford we could draw them into a low scoring arm wrestle and our forwards could wear theirs down in a similar manner to the match at the DW a few weeks ago which without the early mistake would have been a low scoring game which we could have shaded at the death.
We still have to improve if we want that scenario to pan out because while I don't expect us to lose 7 out of 7 current form says we won't win that many of them so we could be down to 4th and end up playing Saints in the semi. They will prefer that than facing us at OT.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

DaveO wrote:
catman wrote:I think we can all agree we've not been brilliant so for this season and I think it's a sad inditment of the league that we are second and almost nailed on for a semi final appearance.
I have said the same thing myself. We'd have to be spectacularly bad in the next 7 games and lose the lot of them to finish 5th with Hudds winning 6 out of 7. Something like that anyway.
We still have to improve if we want that scenario to pan out because while I don't expect us to lose 7 out of 7 current form says we won't win that many of them so we could be down to 4th and end up playing Saints in the semi. They will prefer that than facing us at OT.
I'd prefer to beat them in the semis, there is less pressure there, and the final should be easier if we get through. Not nice losing at OT if we're going to lose, especially to them.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

If wigan can get a home semi final I think no matter who they face either Cas or wire will falter and it’ll be on to the GF and saints who I just can’t not see being there once there to the old hunting ground owt can happen.

The short answer is yes Wigan can win the GF..will they that’s up to them I suppose.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

We can beat saints in a one off match,but on defence and fitness only imo
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

We can beat saints in a one off match,but on defence and fitness only imo

Like what the Australia Kangaroos, and most of the NRL, have been doing and practicing for years ?
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

They aussies are also more skillful
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE