Warriors partner with West Wales

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Warriors partner with West Wales

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors have agreed a partnership with West Wales Raiders that will see an enhanced pathway opportunity for players created, with the renowned hotbed of rugby in South Wales being the catalyst for the venture.

The project will see Wigan Warriors run a series of development camps, talent camps, coach education and school work that ensures the work is sustainable and starts a legacy.

The connects will support the players through greater exposure to the sport, playing opportunities and the chances for Welsh coaches to work with the Warriors to gain a deeper understanding of how the Club’s talent systems work and the part they can play to develop great players in Wales. The Clubs will also work to make Coleg y Cyomoedd, the local college of Aberdare, Nantgarw, Rhondda and Ystrad Mynach, much stronger too.

Warriors Head of Youth Development, Matty Peet, said: “Over the last few years we’ve seen an emergence of Welsh Schools having success in the national school competitions, but they don’t have the same opportunities that the heartlands teams have. We have kept an eye on one or two players and have been monitoring them but feel we could offer them and the Raiders support and opportunities to progress in the sport.”

West Wales Raiders CEO, Peter Tiffin stated: “We couldn’t believe it when we spoke to Matty on how passionate he was to support us. It’ll be a two way street in our youngsters get an opportunity to progress, whilst we can look at helping the young Wigan players gain an exposure to League 1 and adult rugby league that will help us build a player base that has progressed through the same system. We’re looking forward to the project producing high quality players and hopefully players that can flourish on the international stage too.”

The project kicks off in earnest in August with a group of Wigan coaches heading down to Wales to run rugby camps, development camps, elite camps and coach education.

Event: Wigan Warriors Summer Camp
Date: Tuesday 21st August/Wednesday 22nd August

Venue: CCB Centre for Sporting Excellence, Caerphilly Rd, Ystrad Mynach, Hengoed CF82 7EP

Time: 10:00 – 2:00pm

Cost: £39 (covers both days)

Book: Summer Camp

Event: Wigan Warriors Development Days
Date: Tuesday 21st August/Wednesday 22nd August

Venue: CCB Centre for Sporting Excellence, Caerphilly Rd, Ystrad Mynach, Hengoed CF82 7EP

Time: 2:30 – 4:30pm

Cost: FREE

Book: Development Day

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2018- ... EExdwi0.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
southernpie

Re: Warriors partner with West Wales

Post by southernpie »

I am a bit confused here, I thought this had been set up a few years ago, with South Wales Crusaders/Skorpions or whatever they are called. Also isn' it good on Matty Peet that he is so enthusiastic and passionate about this when he is leaving end of season
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Now we are really going places, paired up with the worat team in the world
adiddy

Post by adiddy »

old hooker wrote:Now we are really going places, paired up with the worat team in the world
d

I think this is great!!! Hopefully with Wigans input West Wales will see a lot of improvement and become a competitive side, which will benefit Wales, league one and rugby league in general.

Well done Wigan.

Matt
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

I don't see a problem with this - it's not about swapping players with a lower League 1 side, it's about an investment into the club and game in general, looking to the future.
With a decline in playing numbers across the board (certainly in the north of England) it can be a positive result to invest in an area where rugby still has a strong infrastructure, and if this move helps to uncover some future talent then it can only benefit us as a club.
I wouldn't think this whole level of investment would cost a fortune, yet it could prove to be very valuable to us.
southernpie

Post by southernpie »

Nezza Faz wrote:I don't see a problem with this - it's not about swapping players with a lower League 1 side, it's about an investment into the club and game in general, looking to the future.
With a decline in playing numbers across the board (certainly in the north of England) it can be a positive result to invest in an area where rugby still has a strong infrastructure, and if this move helps to uncover some future talent then it can only benefit us as a club.
I wouldn't think this whole level of investment would cost a fortune, yet it could prove to be very valuable to us.
I agree, but I thought it was already in place, ....well South Wales at least
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

Yes, but think how bad it could have been without our help. :roll:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

mickw wrote:There's a bit of work to do there ,
they lost 130-0 today against york.
I take it their equivalent of Sam Tomkins wasn't playing.

That is some score to concede.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

they lost 130-0 today against york.
That what it ended as last I heard it was only 102-0
jobo

Post by jobo »

fozzieskem wrote: