Manfredi: Good to get out there

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Manfredi: Good to get out there

Post by josie andrews »

Dom Manfredi on his Wigan return

Winger played 40 minutes in Reserves draw with Halifax on Saturday
Manfredi says ‘It was good to get out there’

Dom Manfredi admitted it was good to be back on the pitch after the Wigan winger returned from almost a year out with injury in the Reserves game against Halifax on Saturday.

Manfredi, who has not featured for the Warriors first team since 2016 after suffering a serious ACL injury, scored two tries in the 24-24 draw at the Fairhurst Accountants Community Stadium in Orrell as part of Saturday’s double header, as the Under-19s also played and beat the Bradford Bulls.

The winger had another setback in a Reserves match in August 2017 but he has now returned and is looking forward to getting more minutes on the grass.

Speaking after the Halifax game on WiganTV, he said: “It was really good after such a long time out. It was good to get out there and it was good for the confidence and I got a lot out of it I think.

“I thought 40 minutes was enough as a first thing. I was tightening up a bit but there’s nothing to worry about. It’s all good and the knee was fine and everything held up so I’m looking forward to getting some more game time now.

“It depends on what the boss thinks but I’m happy to go when I’m ready.”

Manfredi feels it’s been a mental challenge as much as a physical one to get back playing again as he starts to get back into the normal game day routines.

He said: “It was good to get the hype and everything before the game under my belt and I think I can build on that for next time now.”

The winger made it a happy return as he scored two tries and he was also impressed with Sam Halsall, Ben Holcroft and Amir Bourouh who featured in both the U19s and Reserves games.

“It was good to get over and it’s another thing ticked off as I’ve not scored a try in two years now so it was good to get two,” Manfredi chuckled.

“It was an evenly matched game I think. It went well and it was good to watch.

(On the double header) “It’s good to show what set up we’ve got here and some of the young lads even backed up and played both games which is a massive effort so well done to them.”

Click here to watch the full interview with Dom, Under-19s Head Coach Darrell Goulding on his side’s win against Bradford and the highlights and full games from Saturday’s action.

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2018- ... AUTHFsa.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
pearsy

Re: Manfredi: Good to get out there

Post by pearsy »

Hope he gets back in the team but where?
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

If marshy keeps losing out in the aerial battles he might get a game soon but on the other flank obviously
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
4 Generations

Post by 4 Generations »

Havent seen him and cant wait to. Batemans off.Greenwood seemed to find some feet last game.Perhaps Manfredi has the flexibility Bateman has shown.Games changing. Utility Manfredi is quite a mouth full though.Hope hes a handful. Returns the ball like hes unstoppable. Hes like a mearcat fulla soap.

4G
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

If manfredi gets back to top form. How about Dom at FB and Zak in the centre?
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Barney841 wrote:If manfredi gets back to top form. How about Dom at FB and Zak in the centre?
well hes certainly A1 under the high balls and kick returning...... the only doubt i would have would be his link play...... apparently SW is thinking ov playing him at cats...... thats too soon in my opinion
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
4 Generations

Post by 4 Generations »

Mmm,Hardaker at centre.Hes scored tries from that area on the field more than a few times.Has the build of a centre,runs through the line like a centre should.Almost mouth watering.
Manfredi,to soon you say.I wouldn't know.I had a fiver on him for first try the last game he played.He scored as i remember,but not in the correct order.I maybe mistaken,but haven't seen him since then.

4G

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-9299001

Too much too soon?
Typical Wane "boys own" thinking. No reason to even consider it until Manfredi has a darn sight more than 40 mins under his belt.

Just why does Wane say these things? Why would Dom be in contention after half a game in the reserves?
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Surely not!