Wigan Warriors owner Lenagan predicts an end of the ‘crazy’ Super-8s

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors owner Lenagan predicts an end of the ‘crazy’ Super-8s

Post by josie andrews »

Season ticket renewals have already been released and yet fans still don’t know the competition structure for 2019.

Wigan owner Lenagan says new Super League chief executive Robert Elstone is making progress in getting the format changed in time for next season, amid opposition from some lower-league outfits.

“We’re not quite over the line yet, but there’s lots and lots of progress,” said Lenagan, who hinted Leeds – critics of the shake-up which saw the clubs take control of the competition – had changed stance.

“I have a very simple view – I don’t want to do the Super-8s again, and I don’t think it will happen again. “To my mind it’s 11 out of 12 and maybe 12 out of 12 clubs who say, ‘This is a shambles’.”

Under the Super-8s, the competition splits after 23 rounds and the bottom four fight for places in next year’s top-flight alongside the Championship’s top quartet. But it means the final seven fixtures are not known until the start of August and Lenagan is convinced the uncertainty is impacting on attendances and season ticket sales.

Despite Wigan’s match against Castleford being a battle between 2nd and 3rd, Friday’s crowd of 10,289 was the lowest reported at home for a Warriors regular season match since 2005.

“It’s crazy. It’s stupid,” said Lenagan, whose side play at Catalans this Saturday. “Look at Catalans, how many can get there? My sister goes to every game, but she can not get a flight. It’s ridiculous.”

With Toronto and London winning their opening Qualifiers games – and Toulouse also involved – there is a lot of interest on whether new clubs will be in Super League next year... and, of course, whether current champions Leeds survive the threat of relegation. “All the focus is on the bottom.

Who’s bothered about the Championship? Sky aren’t interested,” said Lenagan, speaking after confirming the coaching appointments of Adrian Lam and Shaun Edwards.

“This is far more interesting to Sky – what’s happening in Super League and how we drive the top end excitedly forward.”

Elstone told a briefing with the national media yesterday: “I don’t think there’s necessarily anybody who’s going to be aggrieved by the solution. The RFL and Super League are listening to all stakeholders to come up with that.”

He expects confirmation of the new structure to be announced within the next two weeks.

Previous indications were Super League would stay with 12 clubs, playing home and away with additional ‘loop’ fixtures to pad the season and a straight-forward ‘one up, one down’ promotion and relegation.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-9301999
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jaws1

Re: Wigan Warriors owner Lenagan predicts an end of the ‘crazy’ Super-8s

Post by jaws1 »

Time the RFL woke up and realized it is the SL that is bringing in the TV cash.SL should be getting more of the money and not diluted down. Hetheringtons baby the super 8 did not work in Sweden and Scotland .IL is right about not knowing the fixtures at halfway stage his example Catalan with no flights at this late time.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Hetherington will blow a gasket
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

But how can they advertise season tickets as frozen when we don't know how many games there will be. Its like paying for my holiday for next year without being told when and where we are going.

As for last weeks crowd, that's summer rugby for you. Its nothing to do with the super 8 format, its the fact that it was exactly the half way point of the kids summer holiday. They need to either have a break for August, or get back to Winter rugby.

fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I don’t think the super 8s have had that much of an impact on season ticket sales in Wigan’s case,I think people of walked and not renewed for a variety of reasons,the uncertainty just being one of them.

I must admit I won’t be sorry to see the format go,it’s a nightmare trying to sort out the wife’s shifts etc,her work is very accommodating but there are limits of course.

But what will replace it?Id sooner see a competition of 14 teams rather than pad the season out but we will see.

Yes I agree the super league bring the cash in,but let’s be fair the better rugby it seems o me is in the championship,seeing the Wolfpack and Toulouse at the magic weekend was great to see not the robotic stuff we as SL fans of all hues have to put up with,so should they get a share of the pie yes they should,the fact that sky are dumb enough not to show the championship is down to sky’s misguided belief that their baby,the SL and grand final is the be all and end all,we as a sport have to be careful that in totally ignoring the lower league we are stifling the game and given the game is in danger of all but disappearing because without the bread and butter the cream won’t rise because it’ll have nowhere to go in the first place.

Money wise of course they’re tied to this contract till the next deal now that one could make grown (chair)man cry as I suspect it’ll be far less then what they’re getting now,Disney taking over sky has to be a concern long term too as surely they are only interested in the mega money that football seemingly bring in,Amazon is a pipe dream so that leaves the bbc and BT if sky show no interest and maybe premier sports I suppose but it is a worry that the sport has such a low profile nowadays.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

First Try Tickle wrote:But how can they advertise season tickets as frozen when we don't know how many games there will be. Its like paying for my holiday for next year without being told when and where we are going.

As for last weeks crowd, that's summer rugby for you. Its nothing to do with the super 8 format, its the fact that it was exactly the half way point of the kids summer holiday. They need to either have a break for August, or get back to Winter rugby.
Partly agree but we have a big wedding and birthday party this weekend which I certainly wouldn't have arranged for that date had I known the fixtures.

Before the Super 8 format I always booked my holidays around the fixtures and I guess many other fans did the same, under the present format it's impossible.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

No straw damn us wrote:
First Try Tickle wrote:But how can they advertise season tickets as frozen when we don't know how many games there will be. Its like paying for my holiday for next year without being told when and where we are going.

Partly agree but we have a big wedding and birthday party this weekend which I certainly wouldn't have arranged for that date had I known the fixtures.

Before the Super 8 format I always booked my holidays around the fixtures and I guess many other fans did the same, under the present format it's impossible.
I agree, it has dropped lucky for us this year. Last year was a shambles! If the Super 8s continue next season then I will only buy a season ticket for the regular fixtures and see how the 8s are scheduled.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Stuff we could have instead of the super 8s

Lanc vs yorkshire state of origin style games
Rugby 7s
Extra matches vs team that want to compete in it Big One style.

Have a magic weekend style fixture on armed forces day in a neutral ground.

Instead of a straight up straight down why dont the bottom of superleague and the top of the championship have a million pound game (which despite the format issues Is a good game to watch)

Although i agree the sky money should be in SL saying who cares about the championship does seem a bit short sighted.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I think the Super 8's would work better if the points tally was nilled at the start.

You provide a financial reward for topping the charts at 23 rounds but then nil the points and have top 2 go to GF.

That way every game of the super 8's will count
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

No straw damn us wrote:

Me too ???? plus trying to book for Catalan is a nightmare at such short notice! ☹️
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan