O Loughlin

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Levrier

Re: O Loughlin

Post by Levrier »

SJ wrote:
Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
josie andrews wrote:I think sometimes a player needs to be groomed as well to be a captain.
Im not sure i agree, i think maybe when younger players are coming through then yeah you would mark them as a future captain and give them more responsibility but natural leaders in any walk of life should show themselves otherwise they aren't natural leaders if they have to be told to do so

Sam is a natural leader but he is going, id say Bateman could be but he is also going. Mickey was but he left, there isnt a player if you forget about lockers who hardly plays that you look at and say - he runs the show for us, he manages the ref and leads by example and really dominates.

Yes you can have a leadership group - but for me nothing beats a proper captain someone who can really be the focal point for the team.
I agree when the present captain hangs up his boots we have no one player capable of doing a captains job and I don't think any of the ones you mention could do it either with the exception of Sam T Josie mentions grooming but I honestly believe Leadership is an inherent intrinsic abilitywhich I grant can be nurtured. Perhaps SW and Lam will sought that conundrum out
The qualities that SOL has are not easily taught. It is more a case of someone with those embrionic talents being nurtured. In the last 10 years we have been through several "next SOLs" who have not worked out. I would however avoid grooming because it can get you into serious trouble.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

But when SOL was first made captain everyone said he was too quiet and not a leader. At the time after a try was conceded he was often at the back with either Fielden or Barratt taking charge. As he got older he started taking over and as he leads by example the other players really listen to him. So maybe we have a chance with someone like Farrell or Greenwood. Even William might start to get vocal as he gets older.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

First Try Tickle wrote:But when SOL was first made captain everyone said he was too quiet and not a leader. At the time after a try was conceded he was often at the back with either Fielden or Barratt taking charge. As he got older he started taking over and as he leads by example the other players really listen to him. So maybe we have a chance with someone like Farrell or Greenwood. Even William might start to get vocal as he gets older.
you dont have to talk to be a leader (although i think it helps) what SOL has done ever since farrell left is lead from the front - he still doesnt "talk" a lot now but he makes those horrid exit carries when he needs to.

The thing that separates SOL is he doesn't go missing - that why he is a leader. Now you could argue Farrell carries on running but Farrell is more a soldier he doesn't grab the game by the scruff of the neck, SOL has done this for us many times.

Lockers has the ability to turn a game on its head or at least he did before he was a bit part player, we miss that when he doesnt play. Sam provides it in his place but sam's more of a talker its just a different leadership style
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

As for Lockers as a captain it’s very simple, his actions speak far louder than any words he could say!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
jao711

Post by jao711 »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
josie andrews wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote: Greg Bird or Paul Gallen.
Give over ????

Bird is 34 & Gallen is 37!
Not bad for a 37 year old https://www.sharks.com.au/teams/telstra ... ul-gallen/Tell me who we have who can compete with his stats?
. Yes but Gallen’s stats are history,we need someone for the future.I am a great admirer of his .Only one player on the field made more metres in the WCC game and that was a back rower Wade Graham.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:As for Lockers as a captain it’s very simple, his actions speak far louder than any words he could say!!

That is true,when he plays which is becoming less often.