O Loughlin

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: O Loughlin

Post by josie andrews »

What about Joe Greenwood?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

I think if Tommy plays on next season he'll be stand in captain. He already does lots of talking and the way he walloped Kenny Edwards he certainly leads by example. Then the year after with probably him and Lockers stepping down, Edwards can bring in a new captain who can lead the team.

or we could sign Jon Wilkin for a year.....
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

No thank you but it could be worse if we signed LMS ( Jumping Jack )

Now he is an aggravating character :devi: :devi: :devi: :devi: :devi:
ian b

Post by ian b »

First Try Tickle wrote:I think if Tommy plays on next season he'll be stand in captain. He already does lots of talking and the way he walloped Kenny Edwards he certainly leads by example. Then the year after with probably him and Lockers stepping down, Edwards can bring in a new captain who can lead the team.

or we could sign Jon Wilkin for a year.....
wilkin, are you drunk !!!
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

ddtftf wrote:No thank you but it could be worse if we signed LMS ( Jumping Jack )

Now he is an aggravating character :devi: :devi: :devi: :devi: :devi:
Put politely.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Once Sam goes I reckon Liam Farrell would be a good choice for VC.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Its worrying really that we cant pick out a player that is captain material
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I think sometimes a player needs to be groomed as well to be a captain.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

josie andrews wrote:I think sometimes a player needs to be groomed as well to be a captain.
Im not sure i agree, i think maybe when younger players are coming through then yeah you would mark them as a future captain and give them more responsibility but natural leaders in any walk of life should show themselves otherwise they aren't natural leaders if they have to be told to do so

Sam is a natural leader but he is going, id say Bateman could be but he is also going. Mickey was but he left, there isnt a player if you forget about lockers who hardly plays that you look at and say - he runs the show for us, he manages the ref and leads by example and really dominates.

Yes you can have a leadership group - but for me nothing beats a proper captain someone who can really be the focal point for the team.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
SJ

Post by SJ »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
josie andrews wrote:I think sometimes a player needs to be groomed as well to be a captain.
Im not sure i agree, i think maybe when younger players are coming through then yeah you would mark them as a future captain and give them more responsibility but natural leaders in any walk of life should show themselves otherwise they aren't natural leaders if they have to be told to do so

Sam is a natural leader but he is going, id say Bateman could be but he is also going. Mickey was but he left, there isnt a player if you forget about lockers who hardly plays that you look at and say - he runs the show for us, he manages the ref and leads by example and really dominates.

Yes you can have a leadership group - but for me nothing beats a proper captain someone who can really be the focal point for the team.
I agree when the present captain hangs up his boots we have no one player capable of doing a captains job and I don't think any of the ones you mention could do it either with the exception of Sam T Josie mentions grooming but I honestly believe Leadership is an inherent intrinsic abilitywhich I grant can be nurtured. Perhaps SW and Lam will sought that conundrum out