What do we do as a loyal bunch of fans

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
damien morrissey

What do we do as a loyal bunch of fans

Post by damien morrissey »

What can us loyal fans do to remedy this situation turning up and paying our money isnt enough.
superleague

Re: What do we do as a loyal b...

Post by superleague »

just hope they can play sum basic rugby and stop trying to offload all the time just take the tackle unless they r in a sutiable situation to offload.....oh and before i forget dont pass the ball to aspinall because as a centre he doesnt have clue wot to do give it to vaeiliki and he will send dallas in hopefully.
damien morrissey

Re: What do we do as a loy...

Post by damien morrissey »

I agree that this is what the team should do however what can we do to instigate change and improvement in the club.
botica

Post by botica »

In the past when things have got close and on the back foot. Cheer them on. Especially at home games. I've come off the ground in the past exhausted just from cheering them on. We can be the 14th player and it does lift the lads. Remember the Brown debut all the younguns on the pitch against Stains. The crowd played a good part in that game and we have now got to do it again. Things are bad and we have to do our bit. No walking off just cos we're behind....
"Not only did they beat St Helens in the Grand Final, they did it with style" Mike Stephenson 2nd Oct 2010
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

damien morrissey posted:
I agree that this is what the team should do however what can we do to instigate change and improvement in the club.
As fans there's a limit to what we can do. We can choose to buy tickets and support the team or we can refuse to buy tickets and therefore not support the team. None of us are shareholders, so have no influence on the board. The only way to show displeasure is by not going to games and as "loyal" supporters that hardly helps the players on the pitch. Even not buying merchandise only affects JJB Sports, and would probably mean they'd just stopped manufacturing the few bits of merchandise that still exists.

Or instead, we can keep on doing exactly what we are doing now and supporting the team through bad times as well as good. This is what supporting is all about, otherwise how would clubs like Gateshead get anywhere in life? Not every club can be successful all of the time, we've no divine right to be successful and whilst we can hope and expect for better it's all down to the players and the coaching staff at the end of the day.

Remember, we've not been relegated yet. We're not in a financially-desperate situation. We're not homeless. We've not been merged with another team with whom we have no identity. Can I suggest people stop talking like it's the end of the world, as I'm sure if you were to talk to fans of Gateshead, Sheffield, Oldham, Paris, Blackpool/Lancashire etc, they'd all have a different perspective on our current situation.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
adiddy

Post by adiddy »

Well said Fraggle!!! No point in punishing the players by not supporting them, lets continue to give them what they need, which is the loyal support you're talking about!!! Wigan Till I Die!!!
Fylde Coast Warrior

Post by Fylde Coast Warrior »

As someone who also watches the worst side in NL2, all I can suggest is that we continue to turn up, shout on the lads, and hope that they can start picking up points quickly.

AncientWarrior

Post by AncientWarrior »

My answer to this very good question, Damien, is be patient.

I don't think anyone will argue that the team has been stripped of experience and ability this season but it is my contention that the team in the 'Farrell' era (for want of a better phrase) was not particularly successful. One Grand Final win and one Challenge Cup win is not the level of success that I (and I'm sure every other Wigan supporter) would aspire to and so I prefer not to mourn its passing but to look forward to its replacement.

In saying that and to come to the point of this post, I don't think we can expect an instant success from any new players who may arrive in the weeks and months to come. Some will succeed whilst others will themselves need to be replaced. Great teams do not happen overnight but evolve over 2, 3 or even 4 seasons.

If you keep long term excellence as a goal and everyone at the club is committed to this, then what happens in the short term can be put up with.

If a thing is worth having, it's worth waiting for.
A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.

thegimble

Post by thegimble »

damien morrissey posted:
What can us loyal fans do to remedy this situation turning up and paying our money isnt enough.
Easier way is to eupport the lads but do not buy any merchandise or food at the ground yes i know its stupid but we should not turn our backs on the team but we should boycott JJB shops. DW has caused this problem and its him we need to punish and not the team.

PS but u can buy a pie at the game.
Can not resist the cheese and onion in Wales our pies are crap.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

thegimble posted:
DW has caused this problem
In what way? He pulled us out of the brown smelly stuff when we were about to go bankrupt, he lets us play in a state-of-the-art modern stadium, he's put sponsorship money into the club for eons... what problems has he caused? He doesn't choose which players to sign. He certainly doesn't knock-on in the first or second tackle, or get held up over the line, miss any tackles or kick to nobody. I can understand ML getting some stick as Whelan leaves Lindsay to run the club for him, but DW himself hasn't done much wrong.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]