Fereti Tuilagi

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
damien morrissey

Re: Fereti Tuilagi

Post by damien morrissey »

I didnt see this mistake and Edwards was right to give him an earful but this was a mistake if he got sucked in during a RU game it would cost points this has little to do with proffessional or amateur status just poor play.I would like to see a current player going round one player never mind three or four.General consensus Dave is Legend.Reading your previous posts am sure we will here more from you on this matter.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

DaiJones posted:
Quinnell was not crap

oh cmon

when he played for wales in london thery called him tellytubby
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Doug Stand posted:

Oh and I din't think Quinell was crap...but to be honest I don't really remember much about him
He took a bit longer than Inga to adjust to the game but IMO had just got into the swing of things (i.e. got fit!) when he was sold back to RU when the pennies were starting to run out at WIgan. Same sort of exit as Inga in a way.

My abiding memory of Igna was when Wigan hosted the touring Australians at CP in what might well have been the last time the Aussies came on a proper tour.

Wigan were up against it not least due to a couple of errors by one H. Paul at playing at full back when Ingan got the ball on the Wigan left, chipped it over the defence, re-gathered it and scored a superb individual try. His opposite number on that day was one Steve Renouf and Inga had the better of him IMO. Inga hadn't been playing the game that long either.

Another memory of Inga was v Leeds at Wembley. He stole the ball off the Leeds defender down the right and was almost unstoppable dragging defenders with him almost over the line. From the resulting PTB Wigan had an easy score and it was the power of the man that was in evidence there.

People can say what they like but Inga was a legend for me. Gene Miles is mentioned a lot in those terms but he was only with the club for a season and I have only seen him play on video as that year I sold my flat in London and went travellng for year with the wife on the proceeds! So Inga is much more of a memory to me.

I wish we had a player like him now and the power David V has reminds me a little of him, but only a little!

Dave
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

I was going to join this debate by saying how can you be a legend for a club having played so few games?

Then I remembered Brett Kenny!!

End of story. Conclusive proof that it doesn't take long to forever enshrine yourself in a club's history if you are good enough.

Also, doesn't it make you so sad to remember the quality of the players we used to have? Imagine the luxury of dropping Robinson for Inga, even though it was a wrong decision!!
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

Inga was no legend- certainly not in league or Wigan.
He'd probably fall into the one season wonder catagory.
Unlike Kenny who had a long sucessful career both domestically and internaionally.A true great of the game.
Try some of these Wiganers;
Ashcroft, Ashurst, Ashton, Gee Egan, McTigue, Bolton, Edwards, Boston, Sullivan, Lydon, Gregory, Silcock, Laughton, Clarke, Hanley and more.

Inga - don't make me laugh!
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Doveoverdave posted:
Inga was no legend- certainly not in league or Wigan.
He'd probably fall into the one season wonder catagory.
Unlike Kenny who had a long sucessful career both domestically and internaionally.A true great of the game.
Try some of these Wiganers;
Ashcroft, Ashurst, Ashton, Gee Egan, McTigue, Bolton, Edwards, Boston, Sullivan, Lydon, Gregory, Silcock, Laughton, Clarke, Hanley and more.

Inga - don't make me laugh!
So i take it u have first hand experience of watching all the names u mentioned or was it on tv or old footage.
damien morrissey

Post by damien morrissey »

That confirms it you truely are ancient and loyal,fair play to you alone in your view still not willing to back down a character trait i admire in your generation. It may be a shortfall in the rest of us but we can only comment on what we see. Now after having a laugh at your expense can you tell me more about the player you mentioned Silcock.
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

No I haven't seen them all play - but I can read!!
The list is compiled of Wigan RL players all arguably legends and all GB reps.Not like young Damy's contribution of a legend bein Alfred the Great!!You seen him them.

That's what I like about your generation you never face facts.

Edwards for example was never my favourite player and I think that if he'd have been born in Workington instead of Wigan we may have never heard of him!! Look at his record (of which is not avaiable to me at the moment).

He was awarded an early testimonial (7 yrs. I think) for playing more than 300 games for Wigan!!!!!! (Dream on Danny Orr!!)

During this time he collected more medals than any player before and has a medal haul that is now impossible to beat.

He will go into the hall of fame and is deeds become folklore.

By contrast Inga was - lets say - a cult figure, bit like Rambo Ronnie Gibbs at Castleford once was, or a better example would be DuToit at Wigan. Good player immensley popular with the fans but honestly no legend.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Doveoverdave posted:

By contrast Inga was - lets say - a cult figure, bit like Rambo Ronnie Gibbs at Castleford once was, or a better example would be DuToit at Wigan. Good player immensley popular with the fans but honestly no legend.
The thing is that is just your opinion and just because you keep saying it doesn't make it true. My opinion is you don't have to play for a club for your entire career or close to it to become a club legend for example It is what you do while you are here that counts.

Some players have that certain something abouth them that makes them more memorable than others.

There were plenty of of other greatplayes in the the side Inga played in who had longer Wigan careers. Martin Hall for example. You never hear gim mentioned much because he was jsut a good solid pro but wasn't particularly outstanding.

Inga on the other had became famous for his style of play and blockbusting runs so stands out far more in the history of the club. It is a bit like Botica . Everyone remembers his goal kicking - it is legendary!

I suppose the word mean different things to different people but Inga certainly wasn't tour average player and stood out in RL for the time he played it far more than the majority of players who had been brought up on the game who were playing at the time.

Dave
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

DaveO posted:
Doveoverdave posted:

The thing is that is just your opinion and just because you keep saying it doesn't make it true. My opinion is you don't have to play for a club for your entire career or close to it to become a club legend for example It is what you do while you are here that counts.

Some players have that certain something abouth them that makes them more memorable than others.

There were plenty of of other greatplayes in the the side Inga played in who had longer Wigan careers. Martin Hall for example. You never hear gim mentioned much because he was jsut a good solid pro but wasn't particularly outstanding.

Inga on the other had became famous for his style of play and blockbusting runs so stands out far more in the history of the club. It is a bit like Botica . Everyone remembers his goal kicking - it is legendary!

I suppose the word mean different things to different people but Inga certainly wasn't tour average player and stood out in RL for the time he played it far more than the majority of players who had been brought up on the game who were playing at the time.

Dave
:o good point dave i agree with you totaly,does that mean we can put billy mcginty on that list,for his tackling and hard work thats how i remember him(oh and the pineapple ring)great takler for a man of his size???? :lol:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME