MM

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: MM

Post by Caboosegg »

pedro wrote:
bertina wrote:
DaveO wrote: I agree. The idea it made sense to get rid because he wasn't 100% after a long absence due to injury when he then goes and shows he's ready for 2018 with his WC performances made the the decision to sell baffling.

He proved in the CC he is a big game player and if we get to the GF and we play Saints, there will be one player who is glad he is no longer a Wigan player if he is playing, Roby who I have yet to see have a good game against him.

What makes selling him worse is the club has left itself in a worse state in that position then before he left. None of Powell, Ganson or TL are as good a 9. Most people on here knew that and said that as well (with one notable exception). God knows what Rads ans IL were thinking.

I can remember when Wigan used to move senior players on when they reached a certain age despite still being very good players. The reason they did was because they had an even better player lined up. IL and Rads seem to have forgotten that half of the equation with this one.
Been over this before in an earlier thread.
Mickey didn't want to go.!!
IL and KR made it clear to him he needed to go. Mickey was still recovering from that dreadful injury, and they thought they had sufficient cover with Lulu, Powell and Ganson, and could save a good wedge with Mickey's wage. It was purely a financial decision.
a bit like Sam
You mean Sam was still offered a massive wage but decided he wanted to move to france.

He even said he was offered more than he expected.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
markill

Post by markill »

Caboosegg wrote:
pedro wrote:
bertina wrote: Been over this before in an earlier thread.
IL and KR made it clear to him he needed to go. Mickey was still recovering from that dreadful injury, and they thought they had sufficient cover with Lulu, Powell and Ganson, and could save a good wedge with Mickey's wage. It was purely a financial decision.
a bit like Sam
You mean Sam was still offered a massive wage but decided he wanted to move to france.

We didn't have to offer him anything, we just had to enforce the option in his contract and pay him the same as this year. That's what I thought anyway. So, trying to offer Sam less was a financial move.

I'm not sure we have the whole story on McIlorum. Whether it was just financial, just performance related, or there's more complexity to it. It won't have been a straightforward call I don't think. Clearly the move has suited him. It's not so straightforward to say he would have been the same if he had stayed at us as he has been with them. He's been great since Drinkwater came in at Catalans and they had a pretty much fully fit group of large forwards to call on.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
pedro

Post by pedro »

Caboosegg wrote:
pedro wrote:
a bit like Sam

no, the same sam who was told he wasnt having his contract extended so he went and found a new club, by the time the club came back with an offer he had already signed for catalans.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

I think we have to be fair to players here. Clubs are notorious for trying to get players for as little as possible.

I remember one story about Alan Bateman where he was offered something like £12k, he refused and went to Oz for £70k.

Warrington then said they would match the £70k!

Bearing in mind this was in the mid 90's, that is quite a difference!

Then again on the other side you have the players agents........

thegimble

Post by thegimble »

pedro wrote:
Caboosegg wrote:
pedro wrote: a bit like Sam

no, the same sam who was told he wasnt having his contract extended so he went and found a new club, by the time the club came back with an offer he had already signed for catalans.
The same Sam Tomkins who in the previous 2 seasons was poor and injured. Hindsight is a wonderful device for people. On his form since 2013 he has been well and truly over paid. This season he has justified his pay for the first time since then.
bertina

Post by bertina »

pedro wrote:
bertina wrote:
DaveO wrote: I agree. The idea it made sense to get rid because he wasn't 100% after a long absence due to injury when he then goes and shows he's ready for 2018 with his WC performances made the the decision to sell baffling.

He proved in the CC he is a big game player and if we get to the GF and we play Saints, there will be one player who is glad he is no longer a Wigan player if he is playing, Roby who I have yet to see have a good game against him.

What makes selling him worse is the club has left itself in a worse state in that position then before he left. None of Powell, Ganson or TL are as good a 9. Most people on here knew that and said that as well (with one notable exception). God knows what Rads ans IL were thinking.

I can remember when Wigan used to move senior players on when they reached a certain age despite still being very good players. The reason they did was because they had an even better player lined up. IL and Rads seem to have forgotten that half of the equation with this one.
Been over this before in an earlier thread.
a bit like Sam
Nothing like Sam.!!
Sam was given a good offer but still decided to go. That was his choice.
It was made clear to Mickey he was surplus to requirements and needed to go. Totally different.
Just for the record, this did not go down well at all with Shaun Wane.
pedro

Post by pedro »

bertina wrote:
pedro wrote:
a bit like Sam
Nothing like Sam.!!
Sam was given a good offer but still decided to go. That was his choice.
It was made clear to Mickey he was surplus to requirements and needed to go. Totally different.
Just for the record, this did not go down well at all with Shaun Wane.
#

he got he offer after he signed for cats as wigan told him they werent taking up his option. He said the offer was better than he thought it would be also.
pedro

Post by pedro »

thegimble wrote:
pedro wrote:
Caboosegg wrote: You mean Sam was still offered a massive wage but decided he wanted to move to france.

The same Sam Tomkins who in the previous 2 seasons was poor and injured. Hindsight is a wonderful device for people. On his form since 2013 he has been well and truly over paid. This season he has justified his pay for the first time since then.
sam has said this was his first pre seaon in nearly 10 years due to internationals an injury, maybe thats why. Wigan still came in with a great marquee salary so they dont think the same as you. Was very poorly managed by wigan as they could have offered the contract when they told him they wouldnt take him up on his option of extension.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I wonder whether some of the posters here should dig out some recordings of the
last 2 seasons and remind themselves of the “contributions” made by Tomkins - who missed an off season recovery through his own drunken self inflicted injury - in the first 2 years of his 300k a year contract, and MM’s performances last year. He was so bad it was untrue. Given how the club are meant to have crystal balls, I assume the holier than thou posters can tell us exactly what will happen in the next couple of years. And then we can all go to the bookies - between us we could make enough to buy the club and run it better.

Sam chose to go, and MM had not shown any hint that he would play as well as he has over the last month, last year. Finally, if we had played as badly as Catalans for most of the year we would have been calling for the heads of all and sundry. We have clearly done better this year, without MM, playing far more attractive and more effective rugby than last year. And that’ll do for me.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:I wonder whether some of the posters here should dig out some recordings of the
last 2 seasons and remind themselves of the “contributions” made by Tomkins - who missed an off season recovery through his own drunken self inflicted injury - in the first 2 years of his 300k a year contract, and MM’s performances last year. He was so bad it was untrue. Given how the club are meant to have crystal balls, I assume the holier than thou posters can tell us exactly what will happen in the next couple of years. And then we can all go to the bookies - between us we could make enough to buy the club and run it better.

Sam chose to go, and MM had not shown any hint that he would play as well as he has over the last month, last year. Finally, if we had played as badly as Catalans for most of the year we would have been calling for the heads of all and sundry. We have clearly done better this year, without MM, playing far more attractive and more effective rugby than last year. And that’ll do for me.

And a challenge cup winners medal will do for MM I would think. :D