19-man Squad Vs Wakefield

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
First Try Tickle

Re: 19-man Squad Vs Wakefield

Post by First Try Tickle »

One of the major problems last night was the lack of atmosphere. I would guess there was about 7,500 on, as I know of 4 season ticket holders who didn't go. So that means there was 17,500 empty seats and as you can sit anywhere, everyone is spread out. If there's room around you, then you tend to lounge and then its hard to get exited. Sometimes I think they should close the top half of the stand, then everyone would be together and this would create an atmosphere.

Next week at Hudds away, there will probably be about 1,500 Wigan fans. They will close both end sections and make everyone cram into the middle. There will then be a good atmosphere and a bit of noise to push the players on.

I wish I could get a season ticket just for the away matches, so much better than the home game I sat through last night.
BriH

Post by BriH »

Southern Softy wrote:I'm not wholly sure what you can read unto a match like this. It was an ugly game to get out of the way and we won, which was important.
It showed that Gildart is a class act, moving from left wing to right centre. Greenwood is gold dust. Hamlin will be a huge stand out next year. Escare is versatile and might just be a very handy winger as well as a full back or half. Isa struggles when he is moved to loose-forward and there are injury worries in SOL and Flower in particular.
The basics are there and a new coach will have lots of good things to work with.
I can't say I enjoyed watching Wakefield bur credit to Chris Chester who has got what is just about a workmanlike side playing well above what its potential. Could do well with a classier side.
Good appraisal!
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

John Winder said in the bar that Lockers felt a tightening and whether it was due to his first game last week they didn't know. He was kept of as a precautionary measure.
Flower had a back problem and they would be looking at that.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I enjoyed it, but maybe I am easily pleased. A few thimgs struck me:

- Trinity played much better this week than Saints last week, and are really well set up to cause us trouble;

- Our defence was immaculate. Championship winning defence;

- unlike last week we had no running threat from full back which is essential when Lockers is off the pitch, to put the defence in 2 minds. We will win the GF if Lockers is fit, so his calf trouble is a worry. Hardaker will be a god send;

- what a man Sarginson is, to put his hand up and play like that;

- Davies is a strong, consistent player, but Johnstone showed us that he is in a different class. I wonder whether Burgess and Manfredi might be a better wing bet next year.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Yes, it was a flat boring game! But what did you all expect after the highs & euphoria of last weeks game against our biggest rival?

It was always going to be a 'flat' game especially against Wakefield, who don't bring many supporters anyway, & a Thursday night! People working, kids back at school!! Attendance was always going to be low.

Then you have the sadness & emotion of what happened at the weekend after that fantastic win.

Funny to read from other clubs whinging supporters that Thaler favoured Wigan all night! Well, Wakey were offside all night, he missed a lot of lost ball & interference at the ruck he just ignored!

Two points is two points. Let's just hope Giants don't win this weekend as their game v us is being talked about being moved to Thursday!

Bloody hate Thursday night games & it doesn't affect me, but I feel for others ☹️
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Fan4Fifty wrote: It's Thursday at 7.45!
Can't make it this week. Wife has a meeting to go to and I have to pick my son up so not possible to get there on time (and she only told me this was happening about an hour ago so I am not happy!). If it had been Friday I'd have been there and I was looking forward to watching Greenwood now he has a few games under his belt :(

Hope we win and keep the momentum going from Saints.
Trust me you where lucky,dreadful game we all know at some point in the season you get a match like that,time seemed to be adding to the clock it was that bad,hard to pick a MOM really,my pick would have been the time keeper if he’d have fast forwarded the clock a few moments.

Crowd was awful,I’d be amazed if there was more than 7 thousand in there,but I’m poor at maths so no doubt there was more than that.
Watched the 2 mins highlights on Wigan TV. Gildart's and Escare's tries were good to watch. From what you and others have said the 2 mins highlights is the way to go!
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I've watched the extended highlights, but haven't braved the full 80 yet! :lol:

But yeah, Gildart's and Escaré's tries were good attack well finished, and the rest was... serviceable. Four out of four, bring on the next guys!