Emotional return for Dom Manfredi

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Emotional return for Dom Manfredi

Post by josie andrews »

Dom Manfredi delighted to be back in action after two-year injury nightmare

Wigan wing crossed for two tries in memorable comeback game

It meant a lot to be back out there” – Manfredi

Dom Manfredi revealed his return to action moved his family to tears, after the Wigan made his first Super League appearance after two years of injury nightmare.

Manfredi crossed for a brace of tries in his first game back for the Cherry and Whites after two cruel knee-ligament injuries threatened to end his career, side-lining him for two years. Speaking after the game, Manfredi admitted that his comeback game was an emotional occasion.

“I saw my Mum after the game and she was in tears,” said Manfredi, “she was made up, it meant a lot to be back out there.

“This feels like a massive confidence boost for me and I’ll take this into next week.”

“It’s been really difficult (being sidelined) but you could tell how much the lads were buzzing to see me go over. They’ve helped every step of the way (through my rehab), so you could tell they were happy.

Manfredi has had to bide his time for his comeback game, having been named as a reserve in Shaun Wane’s squad against Wakefield Trinity last week after a few outings for Wigan’s Reserves. Manfredi admitted, he was indebted to the reserve grade system and the Wigan backroom staff for aiding his return to action. He said: “If we didn’t have a reserve grade I’d be really struggling to get back, those one and half games really helped me. I can’t thank our coaching and backroom staff enough, I would not be here today without their support. It’s a credit to them that I was back out there again.”

Manfredi’s return to action comes at a welcome time for the Warriors, with fellow wing Liam Marshall’s recent injury, and the 24-year old is hoping to play his part in his side’s Super League title push.

He said: “We’re looking good at the moment and we have a lot to take into next week against Huddersfield, and hopefully another Grand Final, who knows. I feel good, I have a lot to work so I won’t get ahead of myself, I know that I have lot to do so I’ll be building on that, that’s my main-focus. To lead the song after was pretty special.”

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2018 ... m-manfredi
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Re: Emotional return for Dom Manfredi

Post by Firestarter »

It must have been hell waiting all that time....... having met him in person he seems a proper gent......hes a class player and deserves to make it too the very top ov the sport...... always seems to give his all....... hope he stays injury free for a long time to come
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

I can't remember the last time I was so happy for someone to score.

Really made up for him.
BriH

Post by BriH »

I posted my comment under the Wire game. Wonderful to see him back!!!
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Both tries were pure Dom in his prime. Speed, evasion and colossal strength. What a performance. He and Sarg have shown, in different ways, immense character over the last few weeks. Am proud to support them.
Billgreenwoodsson

Post by Billgreenwoodsson »

His mum??? Never mind his mum, I am nearly 70 year old man and i was crying my eyes out!!!!!!
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

The boy done good. Nice to see him back on the rugby field.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

His two tries were like Dom prior to the injuries.
Hopefully that will help settle his nerves about playing again and whether he would be able to get back to his old self. Any thoughts like that should be behind him now.
Great to see him back.
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

So who will our wingers be when they are all fit ? Will burgess be back on the plane
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

pearsy wrote:So who will our wingers be when they are all fit ? Will burgess be back on the plane
That’s what I’ve said, good headache to have though. Think the unfortunate casualty will be Marshall, he’s scored us plenty of good tries think he just lacks that bit defensively. If manfredi gets back to how he was he’s on the team sheet straight away for me, think it’s out of Davies and burgess to battle it out for the other shirt.
Can’t see burgess going back to aus yet, hasn’t shown the true form he showed befor he went last time.