Today's rumours

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Fraggle

Today's rumours

Post by Fraggle »

From that most reliable journal, the Daily Star:-
"Carney may look for a short-term deal with another NRL club - possibly Newcastle Knights - before linking up with the Gold Coast... Wigan team-mates Gareth Hock and Sean O'Laughlin are being tipped to follow Carney to Gold Coast and St Helens Australian centre Jamie Lyon is a likely recruit".
So maybe no Carney next year, and they're looking to pinch even more players off us. Maybe we need 10 players, not 8, for next year :conf:
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
superleague

Re: Today's rumours

Post by superleague »

r hocks and o'laughlins contracts only until the end of this season or do they both hav another year left
Wizard_Millward

Post by Wizard_Millward »

superleague posted:
r hocks and o'laughlins contracts only until the end of this season or do they both hav another year left
Hock's was up at the end of the season but im not entirely sure if he's signed a new one or not. I think we need to hang onto these two for as long as we possibly can. The future team should be built around Lockers.
superleague

Post by superleague »

i doubt hock and lockers wud go because there both wigan lads and hav big futures infront of them at wigan ...... what do u think(anyone)
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

superleague posted:
i doubt hock and lockers wud go because there both wigan lads and hav big futures infront of them at wigan ...... what do u think(anyone)
atthe moment anything is possible :conf:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

If Wigan sell Hock and O'Loughlin i'm takin ma season ticket back and demanding a refund and never buying another ticket to watch Wigan again.

Hock and O'Loughlin are probably the two best players in our team, if they were playing do u really think we would be in the bottom 6 ?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

superleague posted:
If we get relegated then they will leave and so why not go to Aussie? I would!

The comments made when we signed our new NZ prop over there were interesting. They were basically saying they wanted their salary cap raised so they could hold onto players.

The last time the Aussies raided the UK for players was the ARL v SL war when Connolly and Robinson were going to leave. We ended up upping their wages to keep them as the guts was being ripped out of the team.

Assuming we stay up I would expect the the pair of them to be offered very good contracts and if there was a problem keeping them due to our salary cap then I think the time wold have arrived for some serious changes to made here.

Players like Carney going are one thing. He will be 29 when he leaves. These two are young players and if RL clubs (never mind Wigan) can't hold onto them then the game is in serious trouble.

In fact I'd go as far as to say we should break the salary cap and accept whatever points deduction came with it to keep these two.

Dave
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

challenge any points deduction in courts take leeds with us well get away with it,do you think they want that can of worms opening at rl head quarters, think not :conf: :eh:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

DaveO posted:
The comments made when we signed our new NZ prop over there were interesting. They were basically saying they wanted their salary cap raised so they could hold onto players.

The last time the Aussies raided the UK for players was the ARL v SL war when Connolly and Robinson were going to leave. We ended up upping their wages to keep them as the guts was being ripped out of the team.

Assuming we stay up I would expect the the pair of them to be offered very good contracts and if there was a problem keeping them due to our salary cap then I think the time wold have arrived for some serious changes to made here.

Players like Carney going are one thing. He will be 29 when he leaves. These two are young players and if RL clubs (never mind Wigan) can't hold onto them then the game is in serious trouble.

In fact I'd go as far as to say we should break the salary cap and accept whatever points deduction came with it to keep these two.
Let's just hope the RFL have similar thoughts about protecting our players and reviewing the salary cap, and are not just blinded by trying to enforce the "level playing field", aka reducing the amount Wigan can spend on players which is what really has happened. If the British game were to start losing its young players then the ruling body would surely have to take action as the only result of that is to further erode our sport. Whilst I've nothing against UK players going to the NRL, for the youngsters that we've had to develop because the cap has stopped us spending lots of money to buy players, there's no difference between the Aussie game and the RFU - both will have a negative impact on our sport in the UK and a negative impact on our clubs who may become reluctant to continue developing good kids for fear of them disappearing just as they're hitting the prime.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

DaveO posted;
You're beginning to sound like gimble.
Wigan can't win under the present rules, which all other clubs are abiding by, so change the rules.
Pathetic!!