Sammut signs

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Sammut signs

Post by DaveO »

Wandering Warrior wrote:.,..anyway and we have signed write offs before and they've been top drawer!
Go on then name the write offs who have turned it top drawer. I can't think of one who fits that bill. Back under Mo Lindsay we signed a few unfashionable players who improved at Wigan like Billy McGinty but write offs they weren't and neither were they lower league backs aged 31.

This another signing like Mathers or Pryce.

I think in the modern era Wigan have taken a punt on a few write offs who the club should have realised were past their sell by dates.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote:
Wandering Warrior wrote:.,..anyway and we have signed write offs before and they've been top drawer!
Go on then name the write offs who have turned it top drawer. I can't think of one who fits that bill. Back under Mo Lindsay we signed a few unfashionable players who improved at Wigan like Billy McGinty but write offs they weren't and neither were they lower league backs aged 31.

I think in the modern era Wigan have taken a punt on a few write offs who the club should have realised were past their sell by dates.

Matty Bowen, buggered legs/Ancient but preformed some magici still love watching his games/highlights on youtube.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

It’s annoying that we cannot sign “big name players” but that’s the current climate. I wish sammut well he has a great chance now at the worlds premier club and hope he is a success. Remember Flower and Clubb came from similar teams and similar quality now look!

Wigan needed an experienced half, Powell is not that as last year showed and we have rookies waiting to be developed by Lam/Edwards, nobody should worry about our kids just yet.

Get behind Sammut if it doesn’t work out, it doesn’t work out. We have options with Escaré, Woods et al,

https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
pedro

Post by pedro »

Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote:

Matty Bowen, buggered legs/Ancient but preformed some magici still love watching his games/highlights on youtube.
he was far from a write off
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

DaveO wrote:

I seem to remember folk moaning about Isa, McGinty and Cowie!
All went into teams with better players and stepped up to the plate.
Sammut is certainly in a similar position to do the same, I'll give him a chance. It won't stop me holding my hand up if I'm wrong.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
pedro

Post by pedro »

not many moaned about mcginty from what I remember he was part of a good warrington pack and hard as nails. Cowie and Hall were looked down from as where they come from, the game is different now as we didnt release players and have to balance a squad.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

DaveO wrote:
medlocke wrote:
Barney841 wrote:It’s keeps being said that Leeds have signed big names, Warrington also. They haven’t got a better squad than us though, that’s where I think our money goes to keep the strength in depth. Someone tell me another team with 4 quality wingers?
Also what happens if these NRL star signings don't fit in and get home sick or they just turn out to be shite
On that basis we'd never sign another overseas player. A totally ludicrous argument.
How is it ludicrous when it has happened so many times

Homesick - Greg Eastwood, Anthony Tupou, Ben Barba, FPN, James Segeyaro, Tyrone Roberts, I'm sure there's others

As for NRL players that have come over here and been shite the list is a large one, No need to mention any names, We've had many at Wigan.

P.S I never mentioned anything about not signing any overseas players, So get your facts right for once unlike in your multi paragraphed bitter Brexit rants

:thum:
pedro

Post by pedro »

medlocke wrote:
DaveO wrote:
medlocke wrote:Also what happens if these NRL star signings don't fit in and get home sick or they just turn out to be shite
On that basis we'd never sign another overseas player. A totally ludicrous argument.

Homesick - Greg Eastwood, Anthony Tupou, Ben Barba, FPN, James Segeyaro, Tyrone Roberts, I'm sure there's others

As for NRL players that have come over here and been shite the list is a large one, No need to mention any names, We've had many at Wigan.

P.S I never mentioned anything about not signing any overseas players, So get your facts right for once unlike in your multi paragraphed bitter Brexit rants

dont think they are homesick just get a better deal in a better comp
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

pedro wrote:
medlocke wrote:
DaveO wrote: On that basis we'd never sign another overseas player. A totally ludicrous argument.

dont think they are homesick just get a better deal in a better comp
Does it really matter what the real crack was, they all left early claiming to be homesick and when that happens mid season you are left in the shit, Sammut may not be Wigan Standard according to many but at least he won't do one mid season
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Wandering Warrior wrote:
DaveO wrote:

I seem to remember folk moaning about Isa, McGinty and Cowie!
All went into teams with better players and stepped up to the plate.
Sammut is certainly in a similar position to do the same, I'll give him a chance. It won't stop me holding my hand up if I'm wrong.
Can't remember anyone moaning about Cowie and McGinty. A few moan about Isa but they are in the minority.