Scott Logan joining Wigan next season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Dawber

Scott Logan joining Wigan next season

Post by Dawber »

Meanwhile, former Hull prop Scott Logan has agreed a deal to join Super League rivals Wigan Warriors next season.

Logan, who broke his leg playing for Hull against Wigan in 2003 and only played two more games for the black and whites before returning to Australia, has been in excellent form with South Sydney Rabbitohs.

He linked up with former Hull coach Shaun McRae and chief executive Shane Richardson at the Rabbitohs and was in line to be offered a new contract with them.

However, McRae said: "We couldn't get anywhere near the offer Wigan made him.

"He's been in pretty good form for us this season and I am sure he will do a job for Wigan."

And the re-building continues
standishcat

Re: Scott Logan joining Wigan ...

Post by standishcat »

How good is this guy?

I'm just wondering now how many props we're planning on having next season.
DaveO

Re: Scott Logan joining Wi...

Post by DaveO »

standishcat posted:
How good is this guy?
He is good. Played all 15 starts for his team in the NRL this season. Good stats on the NRL web site.
I'm just wondering now how many props we're planning on having next season.
For the first time in along time I think the answer to that is, enough!

Logan, Feca, Seu Seu and Sculthopre as first choice with Hargreaves and Prescott to provide cover. Ideal I would say.

That leaves Fletcher to bloster the second row which means we have Lockers at 13, Tickle or Hock and Fletcher starting line up with either of Tickle or Hock on the bench with one or two of the props.

This signing could mean we are not moving for Gulavoa or whatever his name is.

All the new signings will be 20/20 players so we must now be losing some of the current squad to make way.

Dave
WiganWarrior

Post by WiganWarrior »

from having virtually none to being overloaded probably its one extreme to another lol what next 8 full backs? :lol:
Wigan til i Die !!!!

"Its like a game of union the ball disappears for 3-4 tackles then appears to be kicked" BBC GMR
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

WiganWarrior posted:
from having virtually none to being overloaded probably its one extreme to another lol what next 8 full backs? :lol:
I forgot to mention Guisett as well!

Maybe it could be the end for one of Sculthorpe or Seuseu but I doubt it as I am sure they must have contracts for next season (as does Guisett).

Dave
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

When Logan was at Hull, he was a very good reliable hard working prop, hes a pretty big guy as I remember and again he will add size and quality to our pack, apparently he was close to an origin call this year his form has been that good. He's definatly the right side of 30 aswel.

Either Scully or Guisset could be on his way at the end of the season, I would much prefare to keep Scully, his fitness has improved and he offers much more going forward, his ball skills and offloads are the best in SL for a forward, he runs straight and with passion evertime he gets the ball, he has shown he wants to fight for the cause(maybe to literally at times) anbd he wants to play for Wigan. Guisset has done a great job since coming in, but his skills are limited and he has gone off the boil a little recently. Add to that Scully is IM type of player, he loves to play rugby and he loves to offload, in a better team Scully really would improve and his ball skills would be put to much better use.
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

DaveO posted:
WiganWarrior posted:
I forgot to mention Guisett as well!

Maybe it could be the end for one of Sculthorpe or Seuseu but I doubt it as I am sure they must have contracts for next season (as does Guisett).

Dave
They are all contracted for next season, scully was the only one attracting interest from other clubs and i'd hate to see him go. Out of the props we have now, i wouldnt want hargreaves or prescott to go as they have impressed me nor would i want scully or guisset to go. I wouldnt be too bothered about Seuseu leaving but would we be able to get rid of him?

Feca, Scully, SeuSeu, Hargreaves, Prescott, Logan, Guisset(or 2nd row)
as props

Tickle, Hock, Fletcher, Hansen, Botham, Guisset(or prop) and possibly Gualavo

With Newton and Godwin as hookers, makes it a good pack.
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

ChrisA posted:

Either Scully or Guisset could be on his way at the end of the season, I would much prefare to keep Scully,
You could be right and if Guisett were to leave I think it owuld be a shame for him as he came in when we needed him most and did well at the time. No room for sentiment in this sport though!

I did a quick tot up of those players I think we will have if no one leaves who will be on over £20K a year. We would have 23 such players if no one left at the end of the season. The list is:

Rads,Dallas,David V,Aspy,Carney,Richards,Brown
Orr,Moran,Lockers,Hock,Tickle,Hansen,Fletcher
Wild,Botham,Newton,Godwin,Feca,Logan,Sculthorpe
Seuseu,Guisett

So we have got to lose three players to fit under the 20/20.

Given when people talk of Aspy leavuing they expect him replaced with another new signing we already seem stuck for places on the 20/20 for that.

The only way out I can see is to get Carney out on loan (1), not offer Botham a deal (2), let Brown leave as he has knocked back a contract offer(3) or Wild goes instead of Brown. Botham has been talked up by Millward so I am not even sure if that is on the agenda so it could be Wild and Brown!

Finnally looking at the above the pack should be able to batter anyone but the backs look less impressive as we do need a new centre.

Dave
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

Has Brown actually knocked back a contract offer? I didn't know whether he was off contract this season or not. Millward seems very keen on Brown so i cant imagine him wanting Brown to leave, plus it means we have no stand off for when Danny Orr gets injured. It's not certain whether Carney is staying with us is it? So he might be one gone. We can make a pretty strong team without wild, so i don't think we'd miss him, a few teams wanted him last season. So thats possibly two spots freed up. We've signed four players so far and Millward wanted 8, we're going to have to do some shuffling to get them all in.
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
SiY

Post by SiY »

This Gualavo, who is he ive never heard of him. Is he that good? Good enough for us to get rid of some other player to make room?