Re: next years line-up

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

1 rads
2 dallas
3 aspy?
4 vaeliki
5 richards
6 orr
7 moran
8 pala.....
9 godwin
10 guisett
11 logan
12 tickle/fletcher
13 lockers

subs
newton
hock
botham
melling
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Matthew posted:
Mike posted:
Rads and Faz (and others) benefited from this in the early part of their careers - and look where they got to.
Here's an interesting one for you Mike - do you think that Farrell and Radlinski would have risen to the heights they've reached had they not been playing as part of probably the most successful sporting team of all time? They are both quality players, however surely being surrounded by best players in the world in their first few senior seasons made a difference? Do you think they would have developed in to as good players as they are today if they had played elsewhere?

Just interested in your opinion
I reckon they could have got close to where they are now, and maybe would have ended up just as good. Having said that, I think the confidence and professionalism that was drummed into them in the early part of their career helped them to become the consistently good players they are. If they hadn't have had so many good role models, they may have hit the heights breifly, but perhaps not be able to maintain it. Lee Briers may be a good example of this - he persistently has good spells, but just isn't reliable enough for GB selection (according to successive Lions coaches).

Jason Robinson is a great example of the benefits of positive, professional role models. Without Inga to help him, he would probably of been in jail or something, let alone fullfilling his potential as a star in a team with a world-wide profile.

Talent isn't enough in RL. You need determination, professionalism and hard work - these are the things where the senoir players around you should be setting the example - showing you what is required to make it to the top.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

BTW my line up will be:

1. Rads
2. Dallas
3. Richards
4. Vaealiki
5. Carney / Calderwood (depending on next few months)
6. Orr / new signing
7. Moran
8. SeuSeu
9. Newton
10. Sculthorpe
11. Hock / Tickle
12. Fletcher (capt)
13. O'Loughlin
subs
14. Tickle / Hock
15. Palaeasina
16. Guisset
17. Godwin

rest in order of apps
=====================
a.n.other - back signing (may displace someone
a.n.other - prop/2nd row (would probably displace Guissett)
Botham
Wild
Hargreaves
Allen
Coyle
Gleeson
Prescott
Hansen
Melling
Colborn

wild prediction for squad member
================================
Lee Mossop - signed as 16 year old this year, sounds big.

gone
====
Asp
Brown
Beswick?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

Wigan will probably keep Danny Orr for one reason.......he's English.
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

An interesting question about Faz and Radders Matthew, it seems to me to go to the heart of the old nature or nurture debate. I played with and against both Kris and Faz as a schoolboy and have to say there was never any doubt Faz was going to be a rugby league legend, he had everything at about fourteen and would have risen to greatness even if he had started his career at Ryedale York, but whoever was the top club at the time (if Wigan hadn't been pre-eminent)would have strained to get the most talked about schoolboy prospect of his generation on their books.

The young Kris Radlinski was a fine player, quick and already an outstanding defender who made it into the Wigan Academy squad but not on a professioanl deal. He was however, as I'm sure he would admit, not talked of in the way that Faz was and indeed was left out of the GB Academy tour squad in the early 90s. Instead of deciding this meant he wasn't a future star as many would have, he seriously knuckled down and gradually worked his way up to be one of the most dedicated pros in Super League.
Now would he have done this without the enviable Wigan set up around him and all time greats to look up to and encourage him? If he was on say even Halifax Academy's books would he have had the resolve and self confidence to persevere with the time and effort in the knowledge he was good enough deep down?

It is hard to know to what extent surroundings and coaching can make the man, any of us who have played all know people who could have been great but didn't make it or who were not great players but have ended up making a good living, but I think Kris is the sort of bloke who would have got there in the end : He had talent but he had application and whilst he may not have been winning Harry Sunderlands by running in Premiership Final hat tricks at the age of 19 if he wasn't at Wigan he would have made it eventually even if he ahd signed for Leigh
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

1 - Rads
2 - Dallas
3 - Dave V
4 - New centre/Gleeson/Richards
5 - New Winger/Richards
6 - Orr
7 - Moran
8 - Jerry
9 - Newton
10 - Logan
11 - Fletcher
12 - Tickle(shades it over hock for kicking)
13 - Lockers

Subs

14 - Scully
15 - Feca
16 - Godwin
17 - Hock
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Good points – Mike, Dai

I have to say that although that I think that Farrell and Radlinski are supremely talented, I think that being part of the grand slam team helped them come a long way into being the players they are today. Farrell played in the same side as Phil Clarke and Dennis Betts (who was man of steel in his last season before he went to Oz) and there is no doubt he learnt an awful from players of their standard.

Radlinski had a back line that will probably never again be matched for out and out class and that was so far ahead of its peers. Can you name any wingers then (or probably now) that would have kept a fit, prime Martin Offiah and Jason Robinson out of the side? Can you name any centres pairings that would have displaced Connolly and Inga? With Edwards, Botica and Paul also involved, it would have been a dream environment for anyone to learn their trade in. The professionalism, flair and sheer ability makes me weep for days gone by.

Once these legends started to leave and were replaced with players largely of a lesser standard, so did the standard of our youngsters – can you name any players a couple of years younger than Farrell or Radlinski who had the same effect at the club?
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
Ron

Post by Ron »

Stop it.Matthew. Memories are flooding back and I am in tears here!
damien morrissey

Post by damien morrissey »

I think that if Milly is allowed to do his job without interference he will assemble a squad that may not be a match for the line up above but will be world class. By the looks of it this is the strongest part of his job and is something he really enjoys.The back line up posted on this thread was one in a million and i cant see any club especially a UK side being able to match it with the numerous restrictions placed on clubs these days.