Saints v Wigan: Game thread

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Saints v Wigan: Game thread

Post by josie andrews »

Wolfie kicked out before St Helens v Wigan in Super League

IT may have been St Helens v Wigan in Thursday's Super League opener.

But it was all eyes on Wolfie as he was thrown out of the Totally Wicked Stadium for spying.

He was seen with a pair of binoculars watching the sides warm up.

And he was swiftly led away by St Helens security staff.

And the stunt proved even more popular than the game on Super League's official Twitter account.

It had more than 450 'likes' at the time of writing, almost double the second highest Tweet on the night.

It also had more than three times as many retweets as any other Tweet from Super League on Thursday night.

And it was the latest in a series of innovative moves by the club on social media, which included this Tweet before the game on Thursday.

https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/ne ... er-league/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

If max had done summat like that we'd be on minus 4 already.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wolfie was right by us I did wonder what he was up too with the trilby and binoculars,it made me laugh when they finally took him away,all a bit of fun.
Last edited by fozzieskem on Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I thought it was hilarious 😂😂
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

morley pie eater wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:40 pm Powell the new whipping boy from Day 1 apparently? Watch this space
58 tackles last night, more than any other payer on either side.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: poor build up

Post by Mike »

formulamoto wrote:15 minutes build up to new season , very poor . did anydody notice the subs photos ? clubb was the photo of escare
I thought they did a whole hour build up.

I'd like to see the shot clock on there on screen graphics though instead of a box or cutaway. Very amatuerish.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

No straw damn us wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:44 am
morley pie eater wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:40 pm Powell the new whipping boy from Day 1 apparently? Watch this space
I thought he was one of our better players last night especially first half.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

The shot clock thing is a waste of time - St Helens on a number of occasions failed to pack down until about 4 seconds left - also when we had a drop out i remember thinking Hardaker was taking his time but the shot clock had 10 seconds left by the time he took it

On to the game - there were a few positives to take out the main one for me being Bullock who was a real handful. Other than that we seemed to lack pace. St Helens were rolling us down the field but we only seemed to get that momentum when the outside backs came in and scooted.

Powell is an issue - people can quote stats and dress it up how they want but he is simply not good enough and its hurting us. One of the big problems he has is pace - he is slower than slow and as a result provides absolutely zero threat around the ruck. We are too easy to defend against with him at dummy half because, he scooted at a broken line last night and he looked like he was running on sand.

Roby has been probably the best hooker in the league for years now and one of the things that makes him so dangerous is he can pass or run, mickey mac lacked pac but he made up for it in smarts and strength. Powells issue is has no stregth to his game at all. If he were a computer game character all his attributes would be set to 3/5 - he does everything "ok" but there isnt one areas he excels in unless you count effort.

I would be tempted in the new era of interchanges to trial Escare as a Rob Burrow style player - he isnt the best passer but he would provide zip around the ruck. Its very hard to get the team rolling down field with slow ruck speed. Scoots are the best way to get that in the modern game and it was smart having the backs come in and pitch in but Powell for me is great squad player to have around but is no where near a starting player
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

No straw damn us wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:44 am
He'll do that every week. No doubt about it. Trouble is that is all he will do. Our rivals have better 9's than we do and in a key position this is a problem.
pedro

Post by pedro »

hes 3rd man in a lot of times, mr flopper