Our Halves

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ChrisA

Our Halves

Post by ChrisA »

I am always reading how people on here think that Moran and Orr are such poor or inconsistent players, with Orr I think its down to injury and a lack of confidence. With Moran its different.

Half backs need runners, they need options if you want them to do their job as well as you would like, without runners and without any options it is left to them doing everything themselves, which just ends up with people calling them crap. Opposition defences know that we dont really use dummy runners, very few of our players hit the gaps well, and very few even run from deep, so with all that in mind their job is made easier becasue our play is very easy to read, all they have to do mark Moran and hes pretty much stuffed as the players around him dont give him any support, instead of just saying hes inconsistent, try looking at why he is, it isnt just his fault, if he doesnt get the support he will look like a bad player when he isnt.

Look at Edwards and Gregory, everytime they got the ball they had options either side of them, they had players hitting gaps, they had dummy runners, they always had an option, and that creates doubt in defences, they could choose any number of things because there was always someone running for them, or they could choose to go solo, they had that option becasue the players around gave them that by running for them and drawing in defenders and creating space, and thats what helped them to become two of the best halves we have seen at Wigan.

I'm not saying Moran couldnt do better in himself, because he could do alot better, but if he we played to a better gameplan where he always had an option we would see even more of an improvement in not only him but the team in general.
GeoffN

Re: Our Halves

Post by GeoffN »

The main thing I've criticised about Moran is his poor kicking game...apart from the one he followed up himself for his own try, and one for Colbon that Gaskell did well to anticipate and intercept, none of his kicks created any sort of threat. Two went out on the full, the others either went dead or straight to a Wire player. Orr's kicking split the defences a lot more, but his play with ball in hand was predictable and disappointing. Maybe with more time playing as a combination, they'll get better, but at the moment, they make one good half back by combining Morans distribution with Orr's kicking.

Good point about the lack of dummy runners, though, we were crying out for that all game.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

GeoffN posted:

Good point about the lack of dummy runners, though, we were crying out for that all game.
We have been crying out for it for a good few seasons, we've relied on a very basic flat attack for to long, we need to be more inventive and off the cuff in our attack, but I'm sure we have the right coach to promote good attacking play, you just have to feel alot of the squad just arent good enough anyway to play anything to fancy, although i dont count Orr and Moran in that comment, I feel they would both be at home playing flowing attacking rugby.
wiganrldeanh

Post by wiganrldeanh »

If you look at the NRL their attacking lines are always very deep, therefore this gives the half-backs more time and give a more precise ball and their runners will have speed and power behind them to break through gaps and tackles.
superleague

Post by superleague »

thats what u call running onto the ball and thats y they always beat us in internationals because how many teams do u see in the superleague playing like that.
wiganrldeanh

Post by wiganrldeanh »

superleague posted:
thats what u call running onto the ball
Well duh!
superleague

Post by superleague »

sorry sarcie. i was the one who was being sarcastic in my post. lol
wiganrldeanh