Stephen Wild ?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
bertina

Stephen Wild ?

Post by bertina »

Without trying to slag anybody off, can anybody honestly tell me how Stephen Wild keeps getting selected.maybe i'm missing something, but I can't say that i've seen any semblance of form, or even worse, effort, for ages.
mrs_carney

Re: Stephen Wild ?

Post by mrs_carney »

That is the question i have been asking for weeks. He Can't catch, can't pass, can't tackle and can barely run and when he does he looks like he could collapse at any minute. It's laughable to think we don't have a 2nd rower we can play instead of him, when we have so many at the club. Even tomkins and beswick are better than him. I for one hope he goes at the end of the season as i think he'll be lucky to make water boy next season.
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
bertina

Post by bertina »

mrs_carney posted:
That is the question i have been asking for weeks. He Can't catch, can't pass, can't tackle and can barely run and when he does he looks like he could collapse at any minute. It's laughable to think we don't have a 2nd rower we can play instead of him, when we have so many at the club. Even tomkins and beswick are better than him. I for one hope he goes at the end of the season as i think he'll be lucky to make water boy next season.
Glad it's not only me then mrs. C. maybe the coaches can see something we can't.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Hes a big strong lad who is fast when he gets in full stride, but he doesnt run with any conviction, he never runs to break a tackle, he just accpets the tackle and goes down. That is no good to a team when players do that, he either runs with some aggresion or he need to go, simple as that.
adiddy

Post by adiddy »

I have to agree with all, he definately needs a kick up the backside! I thought when gregs was coach Wild was playing great, but since has been off the boil and looks unfit. Though he did look a bit better on sat against warrington, hopefully IM will get him sorted out, as id hate for saints to get their hands on him and turn him into another successful Lee Gilmour clone!
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

Steven Wild can catch, pass, run and do alot more he is actually better than alot of the other player in that team.

I remember when people said Steven Wild would be one of the best players in the world. Wild is a strong and very quick player who has alot of potentail and Millward and Noble can see that.

The problem with Wild is that he does know what to do anymore, he's played at centre and at Second Row but with differant people playing around him every week and he had been given no direction by Betts. Millward will change this, because he has been working with Wildly individual helping him regain his confidence. You can't expecct Wild to suddenly become World Class, for the rest of this season Millward will probably just have Wildy running at players and tackling to improve those areas and by next year he will be able to show his skills.

Millward ain't stupid he knows how to improve players but he also knows it takes time and matches to improve.
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

i,m more worried by allens tackling technic or lack of it . to me swinging the arm is a lazy tackle and has no place at wigan
JIMH

Post by JIMH »

ive mentioned before that i think wild misses lockers. he used to make so much rome for him down that wing with a good pass or a half break
WE CAN BEAT SAINTS!!!! YOU KNOWS IT!!!!
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

gold coast want o'loughlin they spoke to his agent when they spoke to carneys, hope he stays :eusa10:
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

adrenalinxx posted:
Steven Wild can catch, pass, run and do alot more he is actually better than alot of the other player in that team.
Do you think all our players are perfect then?

Why aren't we at the top of the league if they are so good?

This season Wild has had his chance to stake a claim for a 20/20 slot for next season but he has IMO blown it.

When he first came on the scene he looked a superb prospect in the second row. Then he got injured and was out for nearly a season. When he came back he was quite quiet until last year he started to look the part again.

So what has gone wrong this season? With Hock and Lockers out it is players like Wild who ought to have stood up and takem responsibility. He has had the chance to impress with almost a guarenteed start in the 17 every week yet has failed to do so.

Why is this? There can be three reasons IMO.

1. He can't be bothered.
2. He isn't good enough
3. Related to 2, he only looks good in a good team

Whatever reason it is he has let the side down this year by having a pooerer season than last.

Millward and the club can't afford to be charitable and with 20/20 slots at a premium his position must be under threat with Botham obviously trying his best to secure a contract for next year.
I remember when people said Steven Wild would be one of the best players in the world.
That has been said about numerous players at Wigan and the majority won't ever be one of the best players in the world. On current form Wild is no where near a GB call up this season.
Wild is a strong and very quick player who has alot of potentail and Millward and Noble can see that.
He is 24 and that is older than Jamie Lyon at Saints so its about time this potential was realised.
Millward ain't stupid he knows how to improve players but he also knows it takes time and matches to improve.
Millward also knows he has to deliver the goods at Wigan i.e. start winning things. He isn't going to keep players who aren't as good as others he can have in the side.

Dave